Windows ME

Brandon7

I got an old Compaq Desktop that runs Windows ME.

Does anybody know of a free anivirus that would work for my computer?

Should I just order a new hard drive and install a fresh install of Windows XP Home Premium or Professional.

Also it only has a dial up slot, how do i get it connected to the internet?

Thanks,

Brandon

How big is the drive and how much ram?

Xp is a much better system.

You'll need to get a network card in order to get on broadband which are fairly cheap.

Avast could be a good choice for either ME or XP.

Tried and Trusted With over 50 million users of avast!, you can rest assured that you are using one of the most tried and trusted products in Windows security. We support more Windows versions (from Windows 95 to Vista 64 Bit) than any other anti-malware product. No matter what system you have, avast! has it covered.

Avast

On the side of the computer it says:

5BW220 5000 Series

-Intel Celeron Processor

633 MHz

-64MB Total System Memory

-Up to 11MB Allocated as Video Memory

-15.0GB Hard Drive

-CD-ROM Drive

-56K Modem

What kind network card do you mean?

I have a Linksys Wireless G Router with Comcast.

If I upgraded the computer to xp, I would just use my Norton 360 (3 computer) on it.

-Intel Celeron Processor

633 MHz

Don't even even think about XP unless the system has at least 256MB RAM and for a Celeron processor it needs to be more.

Go to crucial to find out what RAM cards you need.

http://www.crucial.com

Stick with ME and get avast! Home as I run that on my 256MB RAM 500MHZ PIII system that was given to me for some service I did for a customer.

Get a Realtek RTL8169 NIC Gigabit Ethernet card from a local PC shop as they are probably less than $10.00 but you need to install the driver software for the NIC card first before you install the card.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I can get XP running fine on smaller drives but with a minimum 256 meg sdram and probably even as low as 128 meg after tweaking.

I wouldn't even think about using Norton 360 on a P3.

As for adding a wireless network card to suit your setup you will probably need XP for the drivers but may work on ME.

On the side of the computer it says:

5BW220 5000 Series

-Intel Celeron Processor

633 MHz

-Up to 11MB Allocated as Video Memory

-15.0GB Hard Drive

-CD-ROM Drive

-56K Modem

64MB of RAM I had that on an old Win95 machine 10 years ago. RAM is going to be your biggest problem running WinXP even though Humpty says 128MB for WinXP with a bit of tweaking. You shouldn't have to tweak anything like that today, RAM is cheap if you can still get it for older machines. I bought extra RAM of eBay (512MB).

As for your anti-virus I would recommend you download AVG Free Edition 7.5.524. I use it on my Win98SE and it works and updates ok. I know there are report that they are fassing out 7.5, it should have been last month but its been extended to the end of the year.

Or you could use Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1201 that still runs on all Windows versions. ;)

You can alway read this topic and see which has favourable results.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Honestly...that computer truly isn't worth your time. It must be so dog slow, well in comparison at least, to any decent modern day system. You could always put a distro of Linux on it, something small and light, because that computer won't be good for much for than web browsing and typing documents.

AJ

Would AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0.138 work on Windows ME?

I have heard great things about AVG! :D

As Hazel says no it doesn't, read the technical on my link.

I wouldn't use v8.0 anyway because it has a lot of extra features which you don't need, built in antispyware.

Yes AVG is great. I've been using McAfee for 12 years without any problems but I had trouble installing the updates last year so I swapt to AVG. I did a full scan and it picked up a virus that McAfee never found. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
Don't even even think about XP unless the system has at least 256MB RAM and for a Celeron processor it needs to be more.

Yeah, I wouldn't even bother putting XP on that system. I have on older system too that's been retired to a closet shelf, and to put it very bluntly and to the point XP runs like total s**t on it, it actually runs much slower than Win98 on that system.

I had 64Mb of SDRAM on my previous Pentium II PC (back in 2003). As far as i remember, 98SE ran quite well on it. I added some RAM later though.

It's good to have ATLEAST 512Mb for XP, if you want it to run somewhat smoothly. 1Gig is highly recommened.