Spybot S&D 1.6

YoKenny

Spybot-S&D 1.6 has arrived! [link] 8. July 2008

Time for an update! To keep up with the latest threats, and solve some issues and feature requests users had, we're proud to announce Spybot-S&D version 1.6. Some of the features include:

Improved Scan Speed

Reported a few weeks ago as one of the big issues users face, Spybot-S&D 1.6 integrates parts of the future 2.0 file scanning engine to speed up the on-demand scan.

Up-to-date browser support

Both immunization and the on-demand scan are able to access a dozen different browsers, which now includes the latest revisions of the most popular ones, Firefox and Opera.

Easier On-Access Use

Until now, our on-access part was able to block bad entries, but at the same time, confused many novice users by asking for confirmation on changes of other monitored system entries as well. While this is a great feature for all experienced users who want full control over their systems, we decided that we need to make this easier for the average user, and integrated automated decisions based on the system entry database built through our RunAlyzer, containing more than quarter of a million decisions.

OpenSBI

Safer Networking also announces OpenSBI, our attempt at opening up the fight against malware to anyone who wants to participate. OpenSBI means we've published documenation and tools that anyone can use to create their own malware detection patterns for use with Spybot-S&D, and share those with other Spybot-S&D users.

• Diversity - everyone can create detection templates for any software, without depending on a central authority to acknowledge its threat.

• Neutrality - we cannot be bought to remove detections from our database, but if you do not believe us, you can simply publish your own rules against some malware.

• Continuity - OpenSBI ensures that you'll get updates as long as someone is interested in updating the database (which does not mean we intend to do less work in adding new detections).

• Flexibility - as a system administrator using the network edition, you can make sure that working time is not wasted by employees playing the latest Moorhuhn clone if you add your own detection for it. Keep in mind that some relaxation is said to even improve work results.

And quite a lot more bug fixes and new features, which can be found on bug tracker.

I removed its Immunize settings then un-installed the old version then rebooted an downloaded then installed the new version.

I did not select Tea-Timer as I run WinPatrol and Windows Defender that provide similar function.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

the problem I faced was removing the older version when I had installed 1.5.. it seemed to have two entries in Add remove progs... none clearly stating which was which .... I fear I'll have three now ;)

Wats the best way to install 1.6, without loosing my MS Suite and some other startups which I made sure were restored to their earlier start at windows start up state ( and despite which lost them - with 1.5 )

Spybot didn't have any answers for me ! their forum is simply pathetic!!

Yo....Kenny......I thought you didn't care for Spybot. Didn't you say that Hosts was better? (I might be confusing you with someone else? :mellow: )
I said I don't use their HOSTS file not the main application.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

How do you import Hosts file within Spybot? Or do you have to?
I don't use Spybot S&D to manage the HOSTS file in fact I disable the HOSTS file when I scan with Spybot S&D as it takes too long to scan if active.

I use hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS file managed with HostsMan and I recommend HostsServer proxy to speed up browsing:

http://www.abelhadigital.com

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

I've disabled the new shell extension just implemented in 1.6 for right clicking on files and folders with the option "Scan with Spybot - Search & Destroy" because it is super slow.

• Moderators
Is this update going to be available from the internal updater of Spybot or do you have to uninstall the old version and install the new one?

I did the same as JohnDemolition because Spybot-S&D's updater didn't detect it.

And so people know during installation Spybot-S&D offers to download an update, well you'll need to run the updater again during the first program launch because that first update doesn't update everything.

I use hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS file managed with HostsMan and I recommend HostsServer proxy to speed up browsing:

http://www.abelhadigital.com

What exactly does HostsServer do besides replace the "action cancelled" message? It says it's designed to "speed up browsing", but I don't see how simply replacing that message speeds anything up. In fact, it starts out using 2.5 MB of RAM and that gradually increases over time, so if there is no benefit I'd rather avoid it.

If it has any real advantages I'll use it, but so far I don't see any difference other than more memory being used.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I downloaded HostsMan and it works fine in tangent with HostsXpert. I like HostsMan a lot more. As far as HostsServer goes I think I'll wait to hear your reply to TeeJay before I delve into that.

What exactly does HostsServer do besides replace the "action cancelled" message?

In HostsServer I have a small gif that is displayed instead of the message by going to Preferences and selecting Show icon in notification area and Enable log with Log referrer and I start it Automatically.

In Server I select image then in Image I select Custom then choose an image I have in My Pictures Folder.

Save in My Pictures Folder post-1268-1215663617.gif

Now I see post-1268-1215663617.gif in place of the blocked site and I review the Log occasionally to see what is blocked.

Its amazing how many times www.google-analytics.com is blocked as a referrer. :rolleyes:

The winapp2.ini has an entry to clean out HostsServer log.

If it has any real advantages I'll use it, but so far I don't see any difference other than more memory being used.
My usage is about 10MB but it hardly uses any CPU that I have been able to detect.

post-1268-1215663617.gif

IE7Pro user