Analysis v Cleaning

MrKite

I'm sure this question has been addressed before, but I looked through the topics and could not find an answer. I belong to another forum group, and a lot of us use CCleaner and love it. Several of us have noticed that beginning at least one version ago, the cleaner will clean more than the analysis shows. For example, sometimes on my desktop (Vista), the analysis will show 1.03 MB to be cleaned. I run the cleaner, and it shows 17.0 MB removed. This is also occurring on the newest version. Could someone please explain?

This has come up before I recall. But I dont remember the outcome. A couple things come to mind.

i) Either the analysis or results dosent add up the file sizes correctly.

ii) The analysis dosent include certain files, but those files get cleaned yeilding two conflicting size.

I just did a cleaning and here is the result:

195.8MB to be removed. (Approximate size)

212.3MB removed.

Something I didnt think to try until after I did my cleaning. Check the total free space of the drive. Clean and re-check the free space again. Does the difference in size (apprx) match the analysis or the result?

Thanks, I'll try it.

I'm sure this question has been addressed before, but I looked through the topics and could not find an answer. I belong to another forum group, and a lot of us use CCleaner and love it. Several of us have noticed that beginning at least one version ago, the cleaner will clean more than the analysis shows. For example, sometimes on my desktop (Vista), the analysis will show 1.03 MB to be cleaned. I run the cleaner, and it shows 17.0 MB removed. This is also occurring on the newest version. Could someone please explain?

Hello MrKite,

It could be a "bug" creeping back in(happened in the past) or in a lot of cases it has to do with when and how you run CCleaner.

Best results and the only way you should run CCleaner is with all browsers off,closed,ended, kaput. Some people think their browser is closed and it is not or still in the process when they start CCleaner.

As in the past it always seems that CCleaner will underestimate what is to be cleaned.But in your case 1.03 MB is only a few windows and cookies thrown in. 17.0 MB sounds more like a session and more realistic.

Can you give us more details OS.version edition,browsers and such?

Thanks for your report,

:) davey

Hello MrKite,

It could be a "bug" creeping back in(happened in the past) or in a lot of cases it has to do with when and how you run CCleaner.

Best results and the only way you should run CCleaner is with all browsers off,closed,ended, kaput. Some people think their browser is closed and it is not or still in the process when they start CCleaner.

As in the past it always seems that CCleaner will underestimate what is to be cleaned.But in your case 1.03 MB is only a few windows and cookies thrown in. 17.0 MB sounds more like a session and more realistic.

Can you give us more details OS.version edition,browsers and such?

Thanks for your report,

I am running Vista Ultimate (SP1) on a self-built PC. I am using the newest version of CCleaner, but I first noticed this happening a couple of versions ago, sorry I can't be more specific. My browser is Firefox 3, and I always close everything before cleaning. I only use IE7 for Windows Updates.

This doesn't occur every time, just occasionally. I run the cleaner usually after I close my browser. The last time I ran it (this morning), analysis showed 27.72 KB, and the cleaner was the same. I have FF set to delete temp files, cookies, etc. when I close the browser. I'm not having problems of any kind, someone just addressed it on our forum, and several others chimed in and said they had noticed the same thing.

If this is not enough info, let me know.

I am running Vista Ultimate (SP1) on a self-built PC. I am using the newest version of CCleaner, but I first noticed this happening a couple of versions ago, sorry I can't be more specific. My browser is Firefox 3, and I always close everything before cleaning. I only use IE7 for Windows Updates.

This doesn't occur every time, just occasionally. I run the cleaner usually after I close my browser. The last time I ran it (this morning), analysis showed 27.72 KB, and the cleaner was the same. I have FF set to delete temp files, cookies, etc. when I close the browser. I'm not having problems of any kind, someone just addressed it on our forum, and several others chimed in and said they had noticed the same thing.

If this is not enough info, let me know.

Yes, quite a few Firefox 3 users are now doing as you are.

Just a note for your security,though.

Please remember CCleaner does not "Secure Delete" what it does not delete itself.Maybe Firefox does I am not sure.

Any private information and such as banking info you may want overwritten will not be unless Firefox does so.

As an alternative,every now and then I run Piriforms RECUVA program and "Secure Delete" all deleted files it finds.

Some people mistakenly blame CCleaner for this data still being viewable but they are wrong.They used IE options or Firefox options to delete that data or used some other program to delete it.

Most data that is created and deleted "recently" is overwritten very quickly in the day to day browsing and such.This is why I only do this "special Recuva job" once a month or so.Just cleans up all the bits and pieces. http://www.recuva.com/

Best wishes,

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com

I have the same thing happen with files deleted exceeding the analysis by about 16MB. This is the file that does not get analyzed but gets deleted: C:\Windows\system32\wbem\Logs\WMITracing.log 16.0MB. Doesn't seem to cause any problems though.

Ralph

I have the same thing happen with files deleted exceeding the analysis by about 16MB. This is the file that does not get analyzed but gets deleted: C:\Windows\system32\wbem\Logs\WMITracing.log 16.0MB. Doesn't seem to cause any problems though.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for that info.The "Bug Fixers" will be interested to see that information.

Ive noticed it the other way. I have run the cleaner so it has deleted out all the rubbish. If i then run the analysis it should in theory tell me there is nothing to delete, however it doesnt - it shows quite a large value. If I do run cleaner after this again though it deletes zero bytes as expected.

Any thoughts on this?

Candide.

Ive noticed it the other way. I have run the cleaner so it has deleted out all the rubbish. If i then run the analysis it should in theory tell me there is nothing to delete, however it doesnt - it shows quite a large value. If I do run cleaner after this again though it deletes zero bytes as expected.

Any thoughts on this?

Candide.

Hi Candide,

I have seen this in the past for certain users.

Are any file names involved with the second analysis?

Or is just a random figure or something like the original figure from the first cleaning.Sometimes a "bug" in the reports totals for certain users.

Please answer the following.

The following info will help others to come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Provide as much information and detail as you can.

Just fill in the answers next to or below the questions?

Do you use a "special" regional edit standard versus comma and decimal point 2 digit decimal place?

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

CCleaner version ? What Language did you request at install,if any?

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Best wishes,

The CCleaner Guide is your first source of information.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com

Bookmark & save to Favorites

See this link for my first advice to brand new users of CCleaner. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Thanks for taking your time to make a report.:)

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for that info.The "Bug Fixers" will be interested to see that information.

You're welcome davey. Apparently Windows just recreates this file if you delete it. So I just added it to CCleaner's exclusions. Problem solved.

Ralph

You're welcome davey. Apparently Windows just recreates this file if you delete it. So I just added it to CCleaner's exclusions. Problem solved.

Ralph

Hey Ralph,

Do use Vista?

Do you really need that file? It can be turned off if you don't really need it.This is why CCleaner deletes it.

WMI tracing logs can be turned off.From what I have read the default is off.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa826686(VS.85).aspx

Hey Ralph,

Do use Vista?

Do you really need that file? It can be turned off if you don't really need it.This is why CCleaner deletes it.

WMI tracing logs can be turned off.From what I have read the default is off.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa826686(VS.85).aspx

Thanks davey. Yep I'm using Vista Home Premium. WMI tracing logs are turned off, but according to link "The system will create the file for it even if disabled, it just won't write events to it and make it bigger than 16MB." This seems to be how my system works anyway. Even if CCleaner deletes the file it just comes back.

Ralph