I really need some help!

Icedrake

• Moderators

Hi Ice, I thought you may have the original installation CD that came with your printer. I'm not sure I should be recommending you installing a driver downloaded form the web, unless you are 100% sure it is the driver for your printer.

Can I make another suggestion. If you don't use your printer very often, disconnect it for a while, or for as long as you can do without it, and see if the problem disappears altogether.

I think it's wise to make absolutely certain that it is your printer causing the connect/disconnect sounds you are hearing before doing anything else.

Sorry I can't be more positive than that, but if you don't have the original software for your printer, I'd rather err on the side of caution, than have you do something unnecessary, that may just give you more problems.

It seems like the printer is the problem because right after I took out the stuff connecting from my PC to the Printer, the sounds and the error messages disappeared. One more thing Dennis: I had this error message problem with Winamp and my printer before I reinstalled my PC.

• Moderators

OK Ice, but to be sure, leave your printer disconnected unless you really need it, maybe for at least a few days.

If everything runs fine for that length of time, then we can be more certain that it is to do with the printer.

After that, we can decide the next best thing. Maybe pick a few brains.

It does sound like the computer is loosing then re-recognizing a usb device...

Tee-Dum = device unpluged/lost

Ta-De = device found

This sound for me, is one of terror. It happens when I bump into my tower and my broken wireless card falls .002? downwards, knocking out my internet.

This sound for me, is one of terror. It happens when I bump into my tower and my broken wireless card falls .002? downwards, knocking out my internet.
I guess that you are glad you don't live in an earthquake prone area.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm kinda not sure if it's parallel or USB, but I'm pretty sure it's not a USB because I have this box type AC Adapter connecting from the Printer to my PC I think, and this other small USB type thing connecting from the Printer to somewhere (but the USB type thing is not rectangular like a usual USB connecting thing. Its round). Grr the sounds are back again. Ahh this is so annoying! I can't watch or listen to any live thing in Winamp without getting the error.

I hope this isn't a problem with my PC.

Ok sounds like you need some advice on the different peripherals that is used with computers. I'll post some pictures that I have found off google to give ya a first hand look at what these ports look like. Not to worry I have only posted the ones that would relate to your printer and possibly your problem.

USB comes in many forms now. Here are the most common forms, USB A, USB B, Mini USB.

kkusbb000mo7.jpg

The first picture here shows both USB A and B together. B is on top which is the most common we see today and this is usually the end that connects to the computer. The bottom is A which is used to connect to peripherals such as printers.

27329nj1.jpg

This next picture depicts the Mini USB which is on the right of the USB B connector. You can tell how it got its name. Now these are commonly used with cellphones, digital cameras, and other small devices. (I know i said i wouldn't stray but USB can be confusing so I wanted to show all the most common today). With that said there is another called Micro USB which I will not post a picture for its just an even smaller version of USB which is used primarily on cell phones and is still pretty new.

parallelprinteryp2.jpg

Now when you were asked if your printer used parallel they are meaning a Bi-Directional Port which was also widely referred to as the "Printer Port" as it was commonly used for back in the day. As you can see from the picture these connectors greatly differs from the USB connections. This port is rarely used anymore as USB has taken over the spot light but does not mean they ruled parallel bi-directional ports out completely. (Connector on top connects to the printer and the one on the bottom connects to the port on the back of the computer.)

Now you lost me when you stated there is a round plug. The only round plug to your printer I could think of would be the AC adapter which would connect to a wall outlet as a source of power. The only other round plug that i can think of for a computer is known as a PS/2 port which is pictured below. These are common for both Keyboard and Mouse peripherals.

medcg104s3068ig7.jpg

Also something to think about is you said you have a wireless usb adapter connected correct? These use bandwith of the usb hub. Motherboards now a days have more than one hub. Usually each hub is coupled with 2 ports. So if you have your wireless adapter hooked into one lets say and you hook in a device into the port right next to it then you may cause a conflict in hardware if that other device requires adequate bandwith. This is because again the Wireless adapter is hogging all the bandwith and the other device would be fighting for its share (and most likely losing the battle) causing it to give errors. If you have another another set of usb ports on the back (newer mother board have 4 ports on the back or even usbs on the front of the computer case) then try hooking your printer (if usb that is) into another port away from the Wireless adapter. This may solve your problem with the usb detection sounds you are hearing. For the fact of Winamp. Unless you are listening to music off a usb drive (which could be the problem there if so) then it must be a software issue within winamp.

*quick edit* As I see that I didn't make it to the very last reply on this to notice the problem was with the printer. If you don't have the official CD of your printer and you do feel its a driver issue then do not fret! You said its a Lexmark. Write down the model of your Lexmark Printer and go to lexmark's website. They will carry the drivers you need and they'll probably be updated compared to the ones on the CD. Only trust the driver if its for the exact model and in any case as long as its from the company's website that made the device.

Thanks for the whole report Jedgell! :) I'm not sure yet what's causing the problem though, which is why I'm asking for everyone's advice.

Ok Dennis, when I had the printer disconnected for a few days, everything went fine. When I connected it back in, the sounds came back again.

• Moderators

So I think we can definitely say it's your printer.

The next step is thinking of something that won't make things worse. I can't remember you saying whether or not you tried the printer in another USB port.

Did you do that?

Um no not yet. The thing is, I can't find which is the cable that connects from my PC to the printer. There's so many!

EDIT: Wait...! I think I found which cable connects from the PC to the Printer. Should I turn off my computer, unplug it, and then connect it to another USB port?

• Moderators

I don't know about USB printer connections, so to be safe yep, switch off and stick it in another port and see what happens. You don't have to do it now of course, whenever it's convenient.

If it makes that noise straight away, we'll find the next step. If not, leave it in there again for a few days, and hopefully it may now work just fine.

Whatever the outcome, it will narrow things down even more, which is good.

OMG Dennis! I think the problem has been solved! I haven't had the sounds and the error messages in 3 days, after I changed the USB port. I'll post back here if the problem comes back. THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP! Especially Dennis. :)

• Moderators

What version of Windows is causing the issue? I only ask because on my old Win98 system the speakers which were USB would only work in one USB port an not any other, so perhaps a Win98 bug.

I'd try to see if other USB devices also won't work in that port the printer had issues with.

If it's a newer OS I'd try a different USB cable, and if that still didn't fix the issue I'd replace the USB hardware connection in the PC. If it's neither of those at least they can be returned for a refund.

I'm using Windows XP right now, because I don't feel like getting Vista. I really don't want to have to waste time going around fixing hardware problems. I hope this problem is fixed right now. If it isn't...