Installation Monitor/Uninstaller

Citrus

Does anyone know of any program (preferably freeware) that can monitor a setup file or installation and keep a record all files and registry changes? I found one shareware program called Total Uninstall but I'm sure there are other better alternatives out there.

• Moderators

You've got two decent Install Trackers.

Total Uninstall: Last freeware version.

ZSoft Uninstaller: Freeware.

As an alternative, there's Revo Uninstaller, which doesn't track the install, but firstly runs an applications own uninstaller, and then scans for leftover files and registry entries.

Revo Uninstaller: Freeware.

With Total Uninstall, make sure you select the "download" button, and not the "home" one, which is the shareware version.

• Moderators

Not really, and that's not a cop out. They all have their merits, and they're all used by the guys on here.

Total Uninstall is a long time favourite of some, it's only negative point being that it's the last freeware version, so will not benefit from any further development. It's still a good app none the less.

ZSoft Uninstaller is under constant development, and has other features besides tracking an install.

Revo Uninstaller comes at the problem from the other direction so to speak. After running the uninstaller of the program you want to remove, it scans for leftovers. Using Revo needs a little more care, although it's "after scan" has selectable degrees of depth, Safe, Moderate or Advanced.

The best suggestion I could make is try them all, then make your own mind up. In my experience, all of them can be removed without any problems, and there's info on all of them at the links I posted.

If you're not too knowledgable about this stuff, maybe lean towards ZSoft or Total Uninstall.