antivir 8 update issue

wgan

hi if it's a repeated thread, i'm sorry i search through the forum with some keywords but found nothing, so i chose to start a new one.

i just tried the antivir 8, everything seems fine except updating becomes very annoying, it's most impossible to finish, i heard their update server for free version is somewhat bandwidth restricted, is that true, how can you guys using free version survived from this, if the update server really sucks in this way, i think i'm done with this av :(

• Moderators

I use avira 8 free and have no problem updating (manually) as I always do it to sync with early morning German time.

You do know that there has been a very big update this week (over 8mb) which has slowed things a bit? In a few days things should be back to normal.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I'm an Avast user, and will never change. But just out of curiosity after all the recent threads, I decided to have another look at Avira intending to return to Avast straight after.

I tried Avira sometime in early '07, but kept getting the same problem. Would not update, and kept telling me the internet connection had failed, which must have been their servers, as my connection was fine and active.

This time, over a three day period, Avira would not update virus definitions at all. Each time it was taking about three minutes to decide the connection had failed.

t237_AviraRubbish.jpg

Avast updates daily, and sometimes twice a day, so my connection is fine.

This has got to be one of Aviras biggest disadvantages, as nothing has changed for me in a year or more, and is the reason I binned it last year.

• Moderators

Some people have a problem with proxy servers (like me) If avira won't update you can look in the reports and right click on one that says unsuccessful update and choose ''display report file'' In mine it would always say 'invalid system proxy'

So going in avira to configurations>tick expert mode>general>update>web server>proxy, I then put a tick in 'do not use a proxy server'

This worked for me and for other who have the 'invalid system proxy' error.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Some people have a problem with proxy servers (like me) If avira won't update you can look in the reports and right click on one that says unsuccessful update and choose ''display report file'' In mine it would always say 'invalid system proxy'

So going in avira to configurations>tick expert mode>general>update>web server>proxy, I then put a tick in 'do not use a proxy server'

I've tried the proxy settings, didn't work out, last night i was getting that ridiculously low update speed at 1k/s, considering it's a 4 mb update i gave up, today the updater doesn't even pass the connection stage, i was a antivir user long time ago, it left me some bad memories about updating, but not this bad, sadly.

I have only had the failed update once so far with Avira. I simply tried later and it was fine. If this was a daily thing I would have a problem with it but it was a one time thing. I have my updates scheduled for 6:00 PM Eastern Time and they are usually fine.

• Moderators
You do know that there has been a very big update this week (over 8mb) which has slowed things a bit? In a few days things should be back to normal.

That big update is what made things go to a crawl. At the moment the updates are coming in fast again on my end.

I think many people may be put off when AntiVir takes 1-2 minutes to determine if an update is available, however just let the updater run and do something else in the meantime. If the updater fails just try it again a few hours later.

• Moderators

Most Internet aware programs try to read Internet Explorers proxy settings. Typically like you've done 'do not use a proxy server' solves the issue by allowing the program a direct connection to the internet.

If it still doesn't work for someone it's either Avira's servers are really slow and bogged down, or an ISP issue - which sometimes can be solved by resetting the IP address, or in some cases unplugging the broadband modem and plugging it back in.

• Moderators

In my case I tried every possible way to update. No proxy, direct connection etc.

I even set it up with the name of my ISP and Username/Password. Not too keen on doing that, but as I couldn't get it to update manually, or any other way I could think of, I thought I'll give it a try.

No joy. And this went on for three days. Nothing more to say really.

These are my settings and I have no problems.

0d132ec2e8f8.jpg

• Moderators

I think I must just be jinxed with certain applications Anthony, that was the default way I tried first.

It wasn't even a case of it not connecting, I connected to the web first, and then tried updating, and every single time, after about 3 minuters and the blue progress bar reaching the end..."Internet Connection Failed", although I was still on line.

Anyways, I'm just labouring the point now, suffice it to say it just wouldn't do it's thing for me.

• Moderators
I think I must just be jinxed with certain applications Anthony, that was the default way I tried first.

It wasn't even a case of it not connecting, I connected to the web first, and then tried updating, and every single time, after about 3 minuters and the blue progress bar reaching the end..."Internet Connection Failed", although I was still on line.

I get a connection failed with my ISP software updater, it can't detect that I'm connected at all. Not that I'd want to use their updated software anyways as I just let it install the modem drivers, setup the network then totally disable it from running on the PC.

Strange thing is Windows is able to use the modem before even installing the software, and has over the past two re-installs downloaded all the Windows updates before I even installed the ISP software. :lol:

Anyways, I'm just labouring the point now, suffice it to say it just wouldn't do it's thing for me.

Huh?

I thought that is SOP. I am not kidding.

I have have tried every combination there is from all off to all on for my Internet > Connections.

I have worn out the "repair" button for my Local Area Connection.

One day.

:) davey