Sound is very quiet.

Capman

Still trying to sort out a friends ME computer at work before he takes it home.

The last problem seems to be a lack of sound, it has an onboard VIA sound chip, all settings have been checked, but the sound is unusually quiet.

This is the case with windows sound schemes, CD playback, DVD playback, in fact any type of sound playback.

Is it going to be the sound chip or some setting I have overlooked?

I would really like to reinstall ME before he takes it home, but this is all depending on whether I can get the original restore Cd or a copy of ME.

Would a reinstall help in any way?

• Moderators

Make sure the master volume is not turned down. control panel>sounds and audio devices. If not that than the sound cards probably trashed. Tell your friend to go buy a cheap sound card ( you can find really really crappy ones for $15 or less). This sounds like an entry/learning pc anyway. So if your friend gets a year or two out of it he would probably want a new one anyway.

• Moderators
Make sure the master volume is not turned down. control panel>sounds and audio devices.

Yeah, and make sure nothing has mute check marked. You may want to try some headphones on the output jack as well just to make sure the soundcard is alright. Probably wouldn't hurt to check Control Panel->Device Manager->Sound, video and game controllers.

Make sure the master volume is not turned down. control panel>sounds and audio devices. If not that than the sound cards probably trashed. Tell your friend to go buy a cheap sound card ( you can find really really crappy ones for $15 or less). This sounds like an entry/learning pc anyway. So if your friend gets a year or two out of it he would probably want a new one anyway.

Yeah, and make sure nothing has mute check marked. You may want to try some headphones on the output jack as well just to make sure the soundcard is alright. Probably wouldn't hurt to check Control Panel->Device Manager->Sound, video and game controllers.

Checked everything that you have both suggested except the headphone bit, I will try that Monday.

• Moderators

And another possibility is to open the PC case completely unplug the sound card. Look at the line of connectors, if they're dirty (or just for the fun of it) cleaning them with a pencil erasing can help to remove any clag.

Check that you're using powered speakers. If your speakers don't have a light and/or a volume knob, then most likely your speakers are unpowered [well, the speakers should also have to be plugged into the wall outlet in order for them to work. If there's no wall outlet power required, then you're using the wrong speakers]. Onboard audio doesn't have an amplifier (especially VIA's). Get powered speakers.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Check that you're using powered speakers.  If your speakers don't have a light and/or a volume knob, then most likely your speakers are unpowered [well, the speakers should also have to be plugged into the wall outlet in order for them to work.  If there's no wall outlet power required, then you're using the wrong speakers].  Onboard audio doesn't have an amplifier (especially VIA's).  Get powered speakers.

You done it again Dj, Thanks.

You seemed to be the only one to notice that I said it was an onboard sound chip, and you are right about the speakers, they are unpowered, I'll take a set of mine into work to try it.