Windows XP Service Pack 3 - and Windows Security

Atnes

Hello again,

Recently, a Pop-up appeared on my screen, reminding me that I should download Windows XP Service Pack 3, if I was still using SP 3, that is. And I am still using SP 2. Does anyone among you have any excperience with this? Does the download of Windows XP Service Pack 3 harm/change my computer functions, files etc., or in any way disturb the work with my computer? What irritates me is that in the online description it says (among other things): "Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience" - and at the end: "This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel." So, obviously, 1) there is a possibility that my computer goes mad after this download, and 2) something MUST be wrong with SP3 - because why on earth would they give you instructions on how to remove the recently downloaded upgrade? Does it mean that SP3 does not REPALCE SP2 - that SP 2 still remains downloaded on the computer?

Any suggestions? Thank you! in advance! :rolleyes:

Best to all, Atnes

Does anyone among you have any excperience with this?
I have SP3 on my XP Home and Pro systems without problems ever since it came out June 10th.

Does it mean that SP3 does not REPALCE SP2 - that SP 2 still remains downloaded on the computer?
SP2 will still be installed and all of the required updates will be implemented with the installation of SP3.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Same with Kenny - I downloaded it a few days after it came out and I've been good. They give you the option to uninstall it just in case something happens. I did make a System Restore point just to be safe, but I've been fine. There had been a problem with people with computers that had AMD processors, but they fixed it.

AJ

Same with Kenny - I downloaded it a few days after it came out and I've been good. They give you the option to uninstall it just in case something happens. I did make a System Restore point just to be safe, but I've been fine. There had been a problem with people with computers that had AMD processors, but they fixed it.

AJ

Thank you. Good news, actually :rolleyes: !

Atnes

I have SP3 on my XP Home and Pro systems without problems ever since it came out June 10th.

SP2 will still be installed and all of the required updates will be implemented with the installation of SP3.

Sounds great, thank you. And it helped.

Atnes

I am using it without ill-effects. Downloaded the full installer, rather than going through Windows updates. Reason: this will make a re-install of Windows much more streamlined.

Quite a lot of the Windows updates can be removed via add/remove programs, so that in itself is no reason for alarm.

The AMD processor issue was specific to a particular type of HP computer, I believe, using intel drivers.

I am using it without ill-effects. Downloaded the full installer, rather than going through Windows updates. Reason: this will make a re-install of Windows much more streamlined.

Quite a lot of the Windows updates can be removed via add/remove programs, so that in itself is no reason for alarm.

The AMD processor issue was specific to a particular type of HP computer, I believe, using intel drivers.

But is SP 3 that much better than SP 2, so much so that you would recommend the installation of SP3 by all means? And why are you speaking of a "re-install" of Windows? In connection with SP3? Forgive me my ignorance... :rolleyes::mellow:

Best, Atnes

It was HP Pavillions with AMD processors that had problems, as windows would attempt to use a power driver that was Intel only.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

But is SP 3 that much better than SP 2, so much so that you would recommend the installation of SP3 by all means? And why are you speaking of a "re-install" of Windows? In connection with SP3? Forgive me my ignorance... :rolleyes::mellow:

Best, Atnes

Hi Atnes,

"Re-install" otherwise known as "the Abyss".

If your system crapped out on you now you would have to re-install WinXP and Sp2 plus all of its updates to get you back to where you are now.This time will be hours and hours of sheer bliss !!! :angry:

Or you can update from where you are now to SP3.This may take anywhere from 30 min. to an hour to do. :P

If your system crashed after installing SP3 then all you would have to reinstall is WinXP and SP3 which would be hours less than before. :D

Take your pick !!!

I did it 6 weeks ago.No problems then or since.

Do it now under controlled circumstances with proper backup or at some unknown time when the odds are that you will not be properly prepared.Take your pick !!!

Good Luck,

:) davey

Hi Atnes,

"Re-install" otherwise known as "the Abyss".

If your system crapped out on you now you would have to re-install WinXP and Sp2 plus all of its updates to get you back to where you are now.This time will be hours and hours of sheer bliss !!! :angry:

Or you can update from where you are now to SP3.This may take anywhere from 30 min. to an hour to do. :P

If your system crashed after installing SP3 then all you would have to reinstall is WinXP and SP3 which would be hours less than before. :D

Take your pick !!!

I did it 6 weeks ago.No problems then or since.

Do it now under controlled circumstances with proper backup or at some unknown time when the odds are that you will not be properly prepared.Take your pick !!!

Good Luck,

Thank you, Davey! I think I'll go for alternative 2: Do it at some unknown time when the odds are that I shall not be properly prepared :D . Noooo, just kidding, hehe :) ! Thanks for wishing me luck - I absolutely need it! And - proceeding from your explanation - maybe I shall not need to "re-install" my stuff at all, right? Great!

Thanks a lot and best regards!

Atnes

Does installing XP SP3 mean all earlier updates for SP2 can be removed safely? doesn't the installation of sp3 do it automatically; coz it would be pointless having the unnecessary updates in the system! or else how does one know which updates are redundant?

further what .NET version works with sp3 ? Would anybody really recommend having .Net?? apart from it being a massive environment to load and keep for only a few programs that really require it ( if its not really usefull, I'd rather do without the programs that require .net - just wondering...)

cheers!

Does installing XP SP3 mean all earlier updates for SP2 can be removed safely?
Why would you want to do that?

SP2 fixes one set of vulnerabilities and SP3 fixes another and same goes for SP1.

further what .NET version works with sp3 ? Would anybody really recommend having .Net??
I have .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 plus their Service Packs and I like it because there are good utilities available that require .NET be installed but I can't remember their names right now.

If you are concerned about wasted hard drive space then un-install unused Windows components or unused applications will free up space.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Does installing XP SP3 mean all earlier updates for SP2 can be removed safely? doesn't the installation of sp3 do it automatically; coz it would be pointless having the unnecessary updates in the system! or else how does one know which updates are redundant?

further what .NET version works with sp3 ? Would anybody really recommend having .Net?? apart from it being a massive environment to load and keep for only a few programs that really require it ( if its not really usefull, I'd rather do without the programs that require .net - just wondering...)

cheers!

I don't think "SP3 install" deletes anything.MS is not that crazy.

You might want to "not" read this before hand so you will be thoroughly confused and befuddled or just get everything up-to-date except for IE8 and go for it. http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/0...-and-xpsp3.aspx

As regards .Net I am not sure but I make it a habit to stay up-to-date with all the software.If I end up in the frying pan I will have lots of company and lots of help to get out.More and more software is requiring .Net . Why stay behind the times unless you are stuck for space?

I get by with my 256 MB RAM Dell Dimension with all the updates so far.

Good luck,

P.S. Just for your info I installed SP3 with IE7 already installed.I am definitely not going back.I also had IE7Pro already installed prior to SP3.I have not encountered any problems.Some users have had to re-install some audio drivers as far as I know.I am strictly set up as supplied by MS and WinXP as far as Windows Media Player 11 and I encountered no problems whatsoever.Since I was so up-to-date I think my SP3 download was 60-70 MB.With everybody else downloading at the same time it took about 1 hr to download and 1 hr to install on this machine.Others were 1 hr altogether (later download date) and slightly faster PCs.

do you have sp1 on your machine :)

I updated from WinXP Pro and WinXP Home edition all with SP2 and IE7 fully updated.

Never considered what you need to do if you are at SP1.

Will look into it though.

P.S. MS Sp1 Ok just go to Windows update and get SP3.

You also need to look here. Some new downloads came out 07/03/2008 as regards SP3 and even a new Windows Installer 4,5

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...;DisplayLang=en

thanks Davey, but wat I meant was.... is SP2 and its patches/updates not taken care of by SP3 .... i.e to say if I do install SP3 it should as one would think have every feature SP2 covered taken care off! and hence safe to remove Sp2 updates which could be done automatically by installing SP3 .... dunno if thats how it works and need to find answers to just that!

coz Kenny suggested otherwise and hence my question (" do you have SP1 on your machine" ) as what about people who started off with SP2 (like myself) we don't have SP1, I suppose that corroborates what I mentioned in the above para ...

thanks Davey, but wat I meant was.... is SP2 and its patches/updates not taken care of by SP3 .... i.e to say if I do install SP3 it should as one would think have every feature SP2 covered taken care off! and hence safe to remove Sp2 updates which could be done automatically by installing SP3 .... dunno if thats how it works and need to find answers to just that!

coz Kenny suggested otherwise and hence my question (" do you have SP1 on your machine" ) as what about people who started off with SP2 (like myself) we don't have SP1, I suppose that corroborates what I mentioned in the above para ...

I don't know.This PC came with WinXP installed.Early 2004 and was not maintained until early 2007 when I installed SP2 and updated it as indicated by Windows Updates.

If your SP2 is up-to-date you should have no problems installing SP3.Yes SP3 has everything that SP2 has except it has IE6 but will not wipe out IE7,if you already have it installed.

No SP3 does not delete SP2 just saves it stuff, in case you have to uninstall SP3 for some reason.

Once YOU are satisfied with your SP3 install,then YOU delete the Uninstall package that SP3 has built.I consider this the quick and easy way.

But if you like the hard way or are running out of space then You can save your personal stuff,then reinstall XP and use the SP3 CD that you can get from MS to install the complete SP3 package including IE6.I consider this the hard,inconvenient way,some people don't. I am sure they must have more than 1 PC so it won't be so inconvenient and they end up with a fresh install.

Good luck,

what about people who started off with SP2 (like myself) we don't have SP1, I suppose that corroborates what

I'll type as slow as I possibly can.

If you have a system with SP2 installed then SP1 is already installed.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Brief Description

Windows? XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers? experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

IE7Pro user

Kenny SP1 could very well be a part 'INCORPORATED' in SP2 is what you are trying to c o n v e y; so followed after reading the link you very kindly provided ... many thanks!!

gist of the above link is.........:

'Overview

Windows? XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers? experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.'

The above excerpt clearly indicates why SP2 installed machines do not have SP1 that users can see but have all the features of SP1 I N C O R P O R A T E D in SP2 ;)

Davey, thanks for the tip as regards the uninstallation feature for SP2 provided for by SP3 - will look it up

ta