url's in windows vista

me1

Hey, I can't delete some urls in internet explorer on windows vista. I tried delete the urls with Internet Explorer itself but they are still there. I also tried the latest version of CCleaner. But they are still there. If I manually go to the regedit and look for them they are deleted but when I start IE again they still are there. :-S

I don't know if it's because windows vista did some updates or if CCleaner has been changed and updated?

and it's only some url's. The rest are gone.

Hey, I can't delete some urls in internet explorer on windows vista. I tried delete the urls with Internet Explorer itself but they are still there. I also tried the latest version of CCleaner. But they are still there. If I manually go to the regedit and look for them they are deleted but when I start IE again they still are there. :-S

I don't know if it's because windows vista did some updates or if CCleaner has been changed and updated?

Hey me1,

What's with the entering 2 New topics?

Stop doing that!!!

Reboot.

:) davey

Hey me1,

What's with the entering 2 New topics?

Stop doing that!!!

Reboot.

A couple of things...

First, the double posting may have been because you've double clicked to add your post, you almost NEVER have to double click when using a web page, I suspect that you did that or weren't patient enough and clicked again which gave us double posts.

Second, Davey's right but may not have given quite enough info. After you run CCleaner with all other programs closed, you need to reboot the computer and that should finish the cleaning. The IE .dat and some of the other IE files are removed after you reboot and before Windows loads and those files are automatically rebuilt by Windows when they're needed.

Next, your first problem is using IE, get with the program and switch to Firefox and have a faster, and safer experience on the web. ;)

That being said, sometimes you have to use IE because some web designer is too lazy to build a decent web site that is web compliant so that multiple browsers can use it. There is also another reason for this, and that is so they can exploit the security flaws in IE and infect your computer. Have you done your security scans of your computer since you started to notice this issue?

If you could give us just a bit more info we might be able to better help you.

What AntiSpyware and AntiVirus programs are you using? Depending on what those programs are, the files that won't delete may be locked down by the bad guys(malware) or even the good guys (anti-malware). Is the user account you're on an Administrator or user account? Is the version of IE you're using 7 or the beta of 8?

And last but not least, so you don't think we're picking on you, a week ago Tuesday was "Update Tuesday" and in fact, Microsoft may have done something funky. Make sure you have all your updates done, and you might try to reinstall the latest version of CCleaner.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

sorry for double post. I was creating a topic and when I went back to the forum page I couldn't find it again and then I thought I didn't do it right and I created a new one. oops. :rolleyes:

anyway, my antivirus is AVG antivirus. a freeware thing. I never run it. windows updates automatically some times.

I figured out that if you open internet explorer and press the star button to the left and then choose the name next to "feeds" (I have another language computer and I don't remember what it's called in english)

then some links to homepages appears. You can press CTRL+SHIFT+H too. There are some links without text and I can right click on them and choose delete. But they don't get deleted.

sorry for double post. I was creating a topic and when I went back to the forum page I couldn't find it again and then I thought I didn't do it right and I created a new one. oops. :rolleyes:

anyway, my antivirus is AVG antivirus. a freeware thing. I never run it. windows updates automatically some times.

I figured out that if you open internet explorer and press the star button to the left and then choose the name next to "feeds" (I have another language computer and I don't remember what it's called in english)

then some links to homepages appears. You can press CTRL+SHIFT+H too. There are some links without text and I can right click on them and choose delete. But they don't get deleted.

For the scanning I posted this before so I'm going to point you to that post.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry105562

Also it sounds to me like you are also talking about "Favorites", "Feeds", or "History", with "History" being the one that you are trying to clear. Did you try closing everything, running CCleaner, and then reboot? Are the appropriate check boxes selected for IE in the settings for CCleaner(from the link you'll notice that I keep my history on purpose)? Also in the advanced settings you need to uncheck the box to keep files newer than 48hours. This last one really could be what's missing for you.

Give these a try and let us know what's happened.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

Ok, I've checked all checkboxes for internet explorer in CCleaner and unchecked the one that keeps files newer than 48 hours. I also set it to run at startup and I re-started the computer and nothing happened really. The links are still there. That's strange :huh:

look th_Ikke-navngivet-1-5.gif

I'm not sure if IEHistoryView works under Vista but I know it works on XP:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

IE has to be closed to clear the History.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Ok, I've checked all checkboxes for internet explorer in CCleaner and unchecked the one that keeps files newer than 48 hours. I also set it to run at startup and I re-started the computer and nothing happened really. The links are still there. That's strange :huh:

look th_Ikke-navngivet-1-5.gif

Hi me1,

I presumed when you said that you "Deleted History" that you used the Tools button on the IE7 tool bar.

Apparently,I think, we have a "timing" situation here.

If you set the proper check marks in CCleaner and then "ran" it at start-up then the History files won't be deleted and replaced until next Reboot.

I don't run any maintenance programs at Start-up except ERUNT.If you have to reboot for some reason then all your maintenance programs will start-up like CCleaner and clean out things you didn't want cleaned yet.Of course it also slows down boot time quite a bit.

Good luck,

:) davey I knew you didn't double click.You actually made 2 New Topic entries.All is forgiven.

P.S. The first time I posted on the forum I couldn't figure out how to get out of there. :lol:

Edited by davey

I found a program called Privacy Eraser and it only works free for 15 days but it works! :lol: now the history is cleaned up. ;)

I have no idea how it did that.

For $29.95US I can have a nice lobster dinner.

IEHistoryView works for free.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I found a program called Privacy Eraser and it only works free for 15 days but it works! :lol: now the history is cleaned up. ;)

I have no idea how it did that.

Good for you.

Please be careful where you go to get software.Many rogue applications are out there and sometimes they do more than fix your problem.These bad guys have many free software sites on the net.

What is suggested from this forum is safe.

Good luck,