ALL-ROUND SECURITY, ANTI-SPY. ANTI-VIRUS

Atnes

I use Sandboxie for suspicious things, Winpatrol plus in tray, Clamwin for on demand mem/file scanning + VirusTotal, HijackThis, GMER + blacklight + rootkit revealer for rootkits, Currports to quickly find any processes w/ open ports that don't have version info & icons, xp firewall

...and then Wireshark or any other of the billion tcp/udp apps out there, and then:

Openedfilesview

dtaskmanager

process explorer/monitor & autoruns

advanced process termination

& fileassassin cause I was too lazy to get some dll killbox needed after a while;

EDIT: forgot mvps Hosts file

for their respective purposes if needed...

Damn sure ain't "All-round" LOL

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

<skip<

To me, anyone who considers security as important should not use an insecure operating system like XP. For those who cant afford Vista, there is Linux that has far less overhead. I'm not interested in comparing which product is more secure on XP because the basis of that whole discussion is just plain made silly by the fact that the operating system is inherently weak. :o:unsure:

<skip>

To use a BSD catch cry - "it takes a *system* to be secure" not some add on program or little tweak. You cant protect an inherently unreliable system by using anti virus, firewall and spyware third party applications. :(:blink:

Ahm. Thank you, Caldor, for your encouraging words, especially from the perspective that I (and many, manys others, I presume), for this or that reason cannot afford installing Vista at the moment :-) So, as I've understood you, for those poor devils like myself - the unfortunate and silly XP-users - there is definitely no help available, no way for them to ever enjoy a relatively 'secure' life with their beloved, though XP-polluted, computers, even more - they are condemned to fail in any case, and are, on second (and first) thought, actually not even worth to be spoken of, right? What a sad fate. ;)

But thank you anyway, for opening my eyes. "You go, pal!" :D

All the best, Atnes

Its the truth Atnes. Anyway, as I said *previously* which you have for some reason decided to ignore, thers a bunch of operating systems you could use for free that are secure such as Linux and BSD. Some of these are:

Ubuntu

Opensuse

CentOS

FreeBSD

OpenBSD

etcetc

Its Microsofts doing, not mine, and their solution to XP for their commercial, licensed closed source products was Vista. XP security is wrong and its not possible to fix it by installing third party apps. This is why the number of vulenarabilities in XP is far higher than Vista, even though Vista has millions more lines of code in it than XP.

Its the truth Atnes. Anyway, as I said *previously* which you have for some reason decided to ignore, thers a bunch of operating systems you could use for free that are secure such as Linux and BSD. Some of these are:

Ubuntu

Opensuse

CentOS

FreeBSD

OpenBSD

etcetc

<skip>

Sorry, Caldor, I did not 'ignore' it deliberately, and I thank you for your suggestions :rolleyes: .I should have mentioned it in my last message. Sorry.

All the best from Atnes, the Repentant :(:)