Nothing stored in start menu after using CCleaner

I am using Vista and got a bad virus that took over my IE7 and I couldn't get rid of it with SpyBot, Avast nor AVG so I downloaded CCleaner again.

After I cleaned up with your program to get rid of a piece of crap virus, the Store and display a list of recently opened files doesn't work anymore and my whole start menu is blank except for an IE7 icon.

Anyway to fix this or am I going to be forced to do a registry restore with CCleaner and get reinfected with that virus I had?

It's not saving anything at all in the sart menu list except IE icon.

Every single time I try CCleaner it always messes up Windows real bad :(

I thought I would give it another try since it has been almost a year since I last used it due to nothing else being able to get rid of this virus, but man...why does it always mess up windows?

I am using Vista and got a bad virus that took over my IE7 and I couldn't get rid of it with SpyBot, Avast nor AVG so I downloaded CCleaner again.

After I cleaned up with your program to get rid of a piece of crap virus, the Store and display a list of recently opened files doesn't work anymore and my whole start menu is blank except for an IE7 icon.

Anyway to fix this or am I going to be forced to do a registry restore with CCleaner and get reinfected with that virus I had?

I thought I would give it another try since it has been almost a year since I last used it due to nothing else being able to get rid of this virus, but man...why does it always mess up windows?

OK, NM, it works, I just had to actually USE a program, not simply just choose it and open it up.

So, nothing broken so far I guess that I know of.

My apologies.

And thanks CCleaner Team for getting rid of that rediculous virus ;)

You should scan your computer with a better scanner than SB or AdAware, I still use both in certain situations but for a better free scan you can't beat the one given away with the Google Pack. Go to pack.google.com and get only the Spyware Doctor for the downloads (you can get the rest of the stuff if you want but for speed sake I would do that later). Don't mess with the Norton Scanner, it's likely to slow down your computer. Once Spyware Doctor is installed go to "Settings" > "Scan Settings" and check the boxes for "Scan Alternative Data Streams" and "Scan for rootkit hidden files". You can also modify your schedule for when the scanner runs, I set mine to AM and Sunday for the full scan as opposed to PM and Friday, you should decide when you won't be using the computer so it won't affect what you're doing. After that use the update and let it get it's first full update. Then your ready to run your scans. If you're really impatient, just run the intelliscan and see what you get, but if you've got the time, a full scan would be better. You'll probably have a few items that Spybot and AVG missed. Like I said before, I still use Spybot in some situations and I almost always use AVG AntiVirus. The antispyware feature of AVG is not really in the same league as the others and I turn it off in the new version 8 as it also slows down the browsing quite a bit. The top two antispyware programs are SpySweeper and Spyware Doctor. Those two are usually a head and shoulders above all the rest and fight it out for who is on top. This free version of Spyware Doctor isn't the full featured version, but for free it's an excellent scanner and uses the same definitions file as the full version.

Then after you've removed the spyware, you should check your logs or settings in AVG and make sure it's had a chance to run a full scan. Hopefully after all the scans you should be back to normal. If not you can try an old trick that is to simply create a new user account. Check to see that everything is working in the new account and back up your data from the old account and move it to the new one. Once that's done, delete the "broken" account.

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

OK, NM, it works, I just had to actually USE a program, not simply just choose it and open it up.

So, nothing broken so far I guess that I know of.

My apologies.

And thanks CCleaner Team for getting rid of that rediculous virus ;)

Hello Traveller,

When you use CCleaner,don't use the Advanced cleaning options.These are used in rare occasions such as you had with your "virus".

Turn off these options for normal use at Cleaner > Windows tab > Advanced options list.

Your Start Menu list of frequently used programs will start to fill back in.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com

Best wishes,

:) davey

P.S. You need some other software to protect you. They are all free,fast and important.

SpywareBlaster protects you from dangerous sites,spyware and adware.

It is a program that loads protective data into your PC.

It does not affect your processing time at all and very quick to update whenever you want.

The simplest solutions are often the most effective.

WARNING: DO NOT USE the Flash Killer tool. It may prevent proper access to some of your "most popular sites".

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

See this link as regards ERUNT,NTREGOPT and Replicator programs. THESE ARE IMPORTANT.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=102905

Edited by davey

Hello Traveller,

When you use CCleaner,don't use the Advanced cleaning options.These are used in rare occasions such as you had with your "virus".

Turn off these options for normal use at Cleaner > Windows tab > Advanced options list.

Your Start Menu list of frequently used programs will start to fill back in.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com

Best wishes,

P.S. You need some other software to protect you. They are all free,fast and important.

SpywareBlaster protects you from dangerous sites,spyware and adware.

It is a program that loads protective data into your PC.

It does not affect your processing time at all and very quick to update whenever you want.

The simplest solutions are often the most effective.

WARNING: DO NOT USE the Flash Killer tool. It may prevent proper access to some of your "most popular sites".

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

See this link as regards ERUNT,NTREGOPT and Replicator programs. THESE ARE IMPORTANT.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=102905

Hey, thanks for the info and tips...I downloaded everything you mentioned and will heed the warning. I did have to set the advanced option on to get rid of the virus and it was still on, so I just turned it off.

I noticed it took away all my menu items again...so I tured it off and have not noticed them apareaing yet. Guess I need a reboot?

We'll see.

Hey, thanks for the info and tips...I downloaded everything you mentioned and will heed the warning. I did have to set the advanced option on to get rid of the virus and it was still on, so I just turned it off.

I noticed it took away all my menu items again...so I tured it off and have not noticed them apareaing yet. Guess I need a reboot?

We'll see.

Yes,you will start to see them fill back in again but only as you use them again.Some programs you may have to use All Programs to execute them in order to get them back on your Most Frequently Used programs list on the Start Menu.Others will fill in as you execute them from your Desktop.

Follow what I suggested for this member.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Many more things to be learned on this forum.Good advice also.

Come back often.You are a valuable member now.

• Moderators
I did have to set the advanced option on to get rid of the virus and it was still on, so I just turned it off.

Are you saying you have to set advanced options on in CCleaner to get rid of a virus?

If so, CCleaner is not a virus or malware cleaner.

You really need to run some other programs than what you have done to get rid of your problem.

What is the virus/malware called?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com