Avast antivirus 4.8 home edition-(for Avast users)

Eli

Hi

Somehow I do not seem to get satisfying good answers from Avast forum(I guess I got used to the extraordinary good answers I get here in this forum.... :lol: )

I`ll try my luck here:

In the web shield settings, exceptions in mime types to exclude:audio, image gif ,image/png,txt/css,video

all the above as I understand ,are there by default. Does this mean all files from this kind will not be scanned?

It is not clear why this exceptions are there to begin with, and what happens if I delete these ones ?Will it slow the system down because of the extra scanning?

3.What additional function adds the high sensitivity web shield to the normal? Does the high sensitivity slow down the computer or causes system extra load ?

Thanking you in advance

EP

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Somehow I do not seem to get satisfying good answers from Avast forum(I guess I got used to the extraordinary good answers I get here in this forum.... :lol: )

I'm a new user of avast! Home Free version and quite happy with it.

I was a user of AVG Free until they insisted on my upgrade to 8.0

I tried to be a contributor to its forum but the moderators over there are a bit dictatorial. :(

I find that the avast! forum is quite helpful but with the range of nasties out on the Internet now it is becoming very hard to not keep a system free from infection.

I have left all of the settings in avast! at their default as I believe they know their application and what the latest threats are.

Does the high sensitivity slow down the computer or causes system extra load ?

Yes.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I have left all of the settings in avast! at their default as I believe they know their application and what the latest threats are.

Very true my friend! Avast is pre-configured rather well. No tinkering with it is really needed at all in my opinion.

I have not tried Avast yet. Tried all the other free AV apps. I will have to try out Avast on one of my machines. Sounds like there is a ton of settings and there is no help file available before I install to take a look at. I like to read up on things before I install so I have some idea what to expect. I hate going in blind I find that very annoying.

It would be great if one of you Avast users could provide me with the help file to look at. I know Antivir and AVG built in help files are chm files and easily removed. I would really be happy if someone could provide the Avast built in help file hint hint ;):lol:

I'm sure Avast is a fine program. I tried it about 6 months ago, took one look at the interface, said "Ewwww!" and uninstalled it. Sorry, the cutting-edge designs of 1994 just doesn't grab me, not even in a retro way. I don't think a serious av app should appear as a 1-inch thick blob of silver on my monitor.

I'm sure Avast is a fine program. I tried it about 6 months ago, took one look at the interface, said "Ewwww!" and uninstalled it. Sorry, the cutting-edge designs of 1994 just doesn't grab me, not even in a retro way. I don't think a serious av app should appear as a 1-inch thick blob of silver on my monitor.

Hi Corona

You have got lots of skins to choose from, I`m sure one of these will suit you, if this is your only problem regarding this product. ;)

Eli

• Moderators

The media player looking default skin it has I have never liked and never will. However Avast does have the simple user interface that isn't skinned, and during installation you can even instruct it to use the simple user interface or change to it afterwards. It would be nice if they'd make a very nice standard looking Windows GUI for it though.

The media player looking default skin it has I have never liked and never will. However Avast does have the simple user interface that isn't skinned, and during installation you can even instruct it to use the simple user interface or change to it afterwards. It would be nice if they'd make a very nice standard looking Windows GUI for it though.

Well Andavary, they actually have a windows look alike interface ,see below at:

http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html

Eli

Does it scan incoming e-mails?

Yes it does.

Eli

The media player looking default skin

Oh, so that's what that monstrosity is known as. Why is it the default? Who are their target audience, 12 year old Nascar and WWF fans?

I'll give Avast Ye Mateys! another shot & try a different skin. (I never knew it had skins.)

Oh, so that's what that monstrosity is known as. Why is it the default? Who are their target audience, 12 year old Nascar and WWF fans?

I'll give Avast Ye Mateys! another shot & try a different skin. (I never knew it had skins.)

AntiVir has a nice clean UI. Now that I have disabled the annoying ad on updates I like it. Scans are super fast.

Thanks! :)

Hey, when I try to download more skins it tells me "There is no application associated with the given file name". <_< I kinda know where associations are but I've never done this before. I never had a reason to.

Anyway, Avast has many files in it. Which file do I associate? And with what? IE7? (I assume IE7, it's not listed as my default browser (duh)).

• Moderators
Well Andavary, they actually have a windows look alike interface ,see below at:

http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html

I know of those. What I was talking about was for them to make a standard GUI built into the main program that isn't a skin. They could take pointers from both AntiVir and BitDefender for making a nice standard GUI. Of course they can still support the skins for those that like them. At the moment the most user friendly skin they have is perhaps the MAC OS skin.

• Moderators
Hey, when I try to download more skins it tells me "There is no application associated with the given file name".

Avast is supposed to automatically install the skin support! You should be able to download then double click a skin and Avast will automatically install it, then immediately show what it looks like after installation.

Yeah but I've noticed lately that that kind of feature is disabled if you don't have IE set as your default browser. Of course there's no option to find out what web site the app is trying to connect to. It's buried.

There was one other skin automatically built within the downloaded app. I changed it to that. Not the greatest but better than that silver blob. :lol:

• Moderators

I always download skins directly into:-

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Skin", and they always work fine.

Of the seven "provider modules", I usually have four running. Unless specifically needed, I disable Instant Messaging, Outlook Exchange, and P2P Shield. Apart from that, I've never changed any settings.

I've never noticed any slowdown whatsoever with Avast in comparison to other AVs I've tried, in fact just the opposite. It seems to run beautifully in tandem with Windows Firewall on my system.

Just my two penneth. :)

I've never noticed any slowdown whatsoever with Avast in comparison to other AVs I've tried, in fact just the opposite. It seems to run beautifully in tandem with Windows Firewall on my system.

Just my two penneth. :)

I'll skip all the skin talk for now.

Dennis,

Your two penneth grabbed my attention in the above statement.

I think that is what I have been waiting to "see" or "hear" or whatever.

June 25,2008 is getting to close for us AVG 7.5 die hards.

I can't use AVG 8.0 it eats up my RAM and bogs my PC.

I think Avast will be my next adventure.

:) davey

Dennis,

Avast there mate.

I use avast! Home free on my 256MB RAM WinME, 512MB RAM XP Home and my 768MB RAM XP Pro systems and work well.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm another happy avast! 4.8 Home Edition user :D , and the only changes I made were on the...

Report file page

Selected> Create report file

Selected> Overwrite existing

Troubleshooting page

Selected> Check for full screen applications (e.g. games) before displaying pop ups

Dennis,

That June 25, 2008 is not official. They are are still saying Dec 31, 2008 on the official thread on the AVG forums.

I have switched to AntiVir on one of my machines and couldn't be happier. Small foot print. Uses under 10 MB of RAM. Clean and simple interface and I have had no update issues at all. Updates faster than AVG 7.5 did and less intrusive when it does update. The nag screen on updates is simple to get rid of.