Problem with CD Drive...

Icedrake

Hello everyone, I reinstalled my PC after the Vundo Virus problem. Now I have another problem.

So I was working fine today, until my CD drive suddenly dispappeared from My Computer and my Sonic RecordNow! won't detect a CD Drive (I also didn't install or uninstall anything). I've tried everything except for this regedit fix (but I'm afraid on doing that because I'm not good with regedit.) Here's the regedit thing I found on the web: Clicky It's worked for a lot of people, so can someone make something that will delete those registry keys? I also have an ERUNT registry backup just in case.

P.S. Did a system restore, which didn't work. :(

Fixed it! There is a fix for it in the Microsoft Website. Clicky!

Download the guided help and then run it. After that, restart your PC and everything will be back to normal! Should've done some research on Microsoft. :lol:

• Moderators
Fixed it! There is a fix for it in the Microsoft Website. Clicky!

Download the guided help and then run it. After that, restart your PC and everything will be back to normal! Should've done some research on Microsoft. :lol:

I was about to link you to that Microsoft guide which is much more detailed.

If anything messes with the Sonic CD Burning Engine ("Sonic PrimoSDK") installed files like the DivX Bundle can do when it's uninstalled, or changes the registry key it can make all CD/DVD drives inoperable. I recently went through the same missing CD/DVD drive issue after uninstalling the DivX Bundle. The same can happen to people who remove Easy CD Creator, and other CD/DVD burning software.

In my case I had to do a good chunk of investigation and that Microsoft guide was only part of my repair, and I ended up having to reinstall the Sonic PrimoSDK which was installed by my HP Printer/Scanner Software. I even had to open the Windows\Inf folder and right click cdrom.inf and choose the install option to fix everything. It was a quick fix after figuring out exactly how to fix it, and I made myself an automatic installation script to do it in the future should the need arise again.