CCleaner killed autostart of my programs in registry

andreasm

After removing one item from CCleaner tools ->Startup, autostart of other items in that list doesn't work anymore on computer start!

CCleaner still shows items in that list, but these programs aren't started ...

I saw that they aren't there anymore in registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Instead, I saw items under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

---------

If I create an item under RUN in registry and open CCleaner tools -> startup, nothing happens if I click "Delete entry". Item is still there in RUN folder of registry and items list.

But it deletes key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg , if there is a key with same name in "startupreg" folder.

---------

Something is really wrong in that new version of CCleaner with startup tool ! Programmer swapped some keys in registry in program code of CCleaner by mistake.

Is there a known bug about this?

using CCleaner 2.08.588 on windows xp sp2 with all updates

my private homepage www.energie-bewusstsein.de - stop wasting energy!

After removing one item from CCleaner tools ->Startup, autostart of other items in that list doesn't work anymore on computer start!

CCleaner still shows items in that list, but these programs aren't started ...

I saw that they aren't there anymore in registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Instead, I saw items under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

---------

If I create an item under RUN in registry and open CCleaner tools -> startup, nothing happens if I click "Delete entry". Item is still there in RUN folder of registry and items list.

But it deletes key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg , if there is a key with same name in "startupreg" folder.

---------

Something is really wrong in that new version of CCleaner with startup tool ! Programmer swapped some keys in registry in program code of CCleaner by mistake.

Is there a known bug about this?

using CCleaner 2.08.588 on windows xp sp2 with all updates

It seems to be a 'bug" for some users.

You information will be valuable to the "bug fixers".

Any more info will really help.

I use WinXP Pro SP3 IE7 AVG 7.5 Enabled and starts first.

I have unchecked(Disabled) some entries and they do not start-up at boot.

The others are checked (Enabled) and they do start-up at boot.

I have highlighted an Enabled entry and used the Delete button and the item was removed from the list of entries and does not start at boot.

Thanks,

:) davey

Anybody who wonders, why there is no volume control in system tray anymore, it's a fault of CCleaner's autostart feature.

After using it, it also kills autostart of volume control - although user didn't remove it. It's a bad bug of CCleaner's handling of autostart keys in registry.

my private homepage www.energie-bewusstsein.de - stop wasting energy!

Anybody who wonders, why there is no volume control in system tray anymore, it's a fault of CCleaner's autostart feature.

After using it, it also kills autostart of volume control - although user didn't remove it. It's a bad bug of CCleaner's handling of autostart keys in registry.

My Volume control is still in my system tray on my XP Pro system.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

If you are experiencing this problem,it is not being caused by CCleaner but is a problem in Windows.

I have one item in my start-up list that does start-up but the icon does not always end up in the system tray as it should.

I think it is the result of a "timing" situation related to what items are being started and in what order.

Windows controls this.It is not a constant order.

So why does this only happen after using CCleaner autostart feature?

I've never seen this before I used CCleaner.

Hi again andreasm,

Almost lost track but I found the thread again.

I think there is some confusion as to how to use the Tools > Startup list.

Just remember that each entry has a box next to it.If the box is checked then the entry is ENABLED and will start at start-up.

If the box is un-checked then the entry is DISABLED and will not start at start-up.

To completely remove an entry the entry must be "HIGHLIGTED" and then you use the "Delete entry" button at the bottom.This will completely delete that item from the list.This must be done for each item to be completely deleted.

t1079_20080609043524.png

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Cool, really nice! That's something I missed all the time :)

I thought checkbox is used to select which items should be deleted if hitting "delete entry".... :wacko:

Now everything is okay, thanks for explaining it! :wub:

Thank you!

They have been very busy at Piriform.

The documentation in the CCleaner Beginner's Guide is probably due for an update soon.

I hope this gets in there.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

Best wishes,