Defraggler Use

dantheqaman

Would you be able provide some information about how to best use the product and update if as it changes?

A good example is that when I selected Defrag the drive, it defragged the files and then the emply space. It only seems to do the files and not the empty space - and two new advanced options showed up - defrag empty space and defrag empty space (allow fragmentation) - but, there's not information made available on what these functions really do for you and how to best or when to best use them.

You could also add a option to keep with the initially functionality as: defrag all files and freespace. Letting the user choose.

Defrag Drive (files and free space)

Defrag Drive (files only)

Defrag Drive (freespace only)

Defrag Drive (freesapce only - allow fragmentation)

Defrag Folders

Defrag Files

Check Drive for Errors

Why would I want to select one over the other? What's the resulting benefit for each for me?

How about Priority - Normal or Background - To batch or not to batch?

Is there a best practice process that I should be following when using the Defraggler?

For example, in my case, I have a 500GB hard drive (one big C drive) it takes days to defrag the drive and the freespace. I could partition the drive, of course, but do I have to really to get it to work good well for me? You might say, he it's just a defragmentation tool, yes, but it has more features that the previous ones I had been using - so teach us how to best use the tool. Also, the drive seems to get re-fragmented again very quickly. It seems that I could be defragging my hard drive 24-7-365.

I've seen the changes and improvements over time and it's looking better and better as time goes by. I just have not found any useful information on how to best use the tool.

Another example/question: Would it be best to run CCleaner first, empty the recycle bin, delete IE temp files, and/or some other steps before running defraggler.

Thanks for listening.

Would you be able provide some information about how to best use the product and update if as it changes?

A good example is that when I selected Defrag the drive, it defragged the files and then the emply space. It only seems to do the files and not the empty space - and two new advanced options showed up - defrag empty space and defrag empty space (allow fragmentation) - but, there's not information made available on what these functions really do for you and how to best or when to best use them.

You could also add a option to keep with the initially functionality as: defrag all files and freespace. Letting the user choose.

Defrag Folders

Defrag Files

Check Drive for Errors

Why would I want to select one over the other? What's the resulting benefit for each for me?

How about Priority - Normal or Background - To batch or not to batch?

Is there a best practice process that I should be following when using the Defraggler?

For example, in my case, I have a 500GB hard drive (one big C drive) it takes days to defrag the drive and the freespace. I could partition the drive, of course, but do I have to really to get it to work good well for me? You might say, he it's just a defragmentation tool, yes, but it has more features that the previous ones I had been using - so teach us how to best use the tool. Also, the drive seems to get re-fragmented again very quickly. It seems that I could be defragging my hard drive 24-7-365.

I've seen the changes and improvements over time and it's looking better and better as time goes by. I just have not found any useful information on how to best use the tool.

Another example/question: Would it be best to run CCleaner first, empty the recycle bin, delete IE temp files, and/or some other steps before running defraggler.

Thanks for listening.

Hello Dan,

Welcome to the forum!!! Finally!!!

Sounds like you have been watching the forum awhile now.

You must have quite a set up with that much space.I wouldn't know what to do with that much space,especially on 1 HD.

This thread could just as well turn into a discussion on disk partitioning.But there are many other members of this forum who can surely add to this discussion.Music fans,Video fans,gammers and such.Each in their own way probably has a special approach to laying out a hard drive of that magnitude.

Believe me I am no expert myself.Just another member like you learning and advising as I go.So far I enjoy taking an active role in this forum.

Regarding "defragmentation", it is a wide open area even now with the constant technical advancements.It is awful hard to keep up with or in my case catch up. I guess the first thing to keep in mind is "the less there is that absolutely requires defragmenting the better".

This is where the partitioning comes into the picture.What types of files and data should be put where?I am hoping those experienced members will add their thoughts to this topic.Probably provide some good links also.Personally I am just at this point in my PC learning also.

Right now I have left it up to the designers etc. of Windows to put my data where it is probably the best for my system and my level of understanding.Of course there is always a more efficient layout for each PC user once he knows what he is doing.

Currently I use the Windows Disk Defragmenter and Windows in-built optimization strategies.I use Defraggler to defragment certain data files and such.I don't defrag free space.I have lots of unused space so far.Many IT professionals are using Defraggler because of its speed.They already have their disks laid out to their best advantage.

Having everything in one partition is to our disadvantage in that there are many files defragmented and many can just as well be ignored.Defraggler is maturing and I wouldn't doubt that the developers build in ways to get these types of files out of the way or just ignore them altogether.

I presume that with a Hard Drive that large that you are also using Vista.I don't have any Vista experience.I would assume that it too has it's own in-built strategies to benefit more and more users of PCs for their entertainment.

Hope this leads to a very interesting thread.

Best wishes,

:) davey

Thanks for listening.

Hi Dan,

Forgot to add that it is always best to clean and free up as much space as possible before doing a Defrag.

Also why waste time defragging something that is of no value anyhow.?

:) davey

About partitions

* Partitioning allows the distinct separation of operating system, program, and data files. To a new user this may seem like a minor point, but if you've ever suffered a system crash or virus infection where everything on a partition has been wiped out, this one item alone is worth the time and planning it takes to implement an advanced partitioning scheme.

* Partitioning allows you to create a selective backup scheme that targets the areas that need frequent backups while paying less attention to items like system and program files.

* Partitioning allows for faster and more efficient disk maintenance. Like it or not, hard disks require maintenance. Not the kind of maintenance where you disassemble the hard drive and clean it out, but more along the lines of organizational maintenance such as defragmenting. It's much quicker to perform these maintenance tasks on smaller partitions than one huge, non-partitioned drive.

* Partitioning allows for better data directory and file organization. Setting aside a specific partition allows it to be organized much more efficiently than having it strewn across a single, huge partition.

* Partitioning allows the paging file to be placed in it's own partition which will eliminate the fragmentation problem of the system drive when the paging file is constantly resized due to varying virtual memory requirements.

* Partitioning allows the creation of separate areas for what are commonly known as scratch disks that are used by some programs as a temporary work area. Adobe Photoshop and many other graphics and multimedia editing programs that work with very large files experience a substantial performance benefit from having a separate, defined scratch partition.

* Partitioning allows one system to contain multiple operating systems on separate partitions. Depending on what operating systems are involved in the multi-boot scheme it can impact the file system that must be used, but the capability is available.

* Breaking a hard drive down into smaller parts makes sense to me. Toss 400 - 500 gigabytes of operating system, applications, data, music, and other miscellaneous items onto one large partition and you're asking for trouble. Something is bound to go wrong with something and it's much easier to diagnose a problem when the drive contents are separated into smaller chunks.

* Years ago, there were reasons for partitioning that had to do with efficient cluster size, but that's not so important with ntfs.

by keeping all your install files on a separate partition, you save countless hours digging up programs, serial numbers and so on, you install the basic o/s, complete with the drivers you previously backed up to your last drive, and start installing all the files from the install directory.

You rarely, if ever, lose or have to reformat/reinstall anything but the c drive, be it to a virus or user stupidity, or to simple bloat of the operating system.

I've used the above for years, and find it works, makes for lower maintenance, and allows you to back up your data from one location, without suddenly (after the reformat) remembering you didn't back up a batch of files you can't remember where you saved......

End of lecture.

Hope this helps

This my assumptions based off logic and experience, please correct me where I am incorrect...

Defrags files then free space. ( Not sure about this order. )

See below for more info about each.

This is the option for a quick defrag, it takes the files that have most recently been written or moved on your partition, and place them in contingent slots of free space.

This is useful for a Gamer or Average user who installs and uninstalls select applications often, this will arrange newly installed program files and game files in such a fashion that they are accessed/read more efficiently than that of their fragmented state. ( This should be used FREQUENTLY )

This is less effective than the one below it, and it creates larger contingent free space without breaking files into fragments.

This is useful for long term performance, if you defragment seldom. You should compliment this with a Quick File Defrag.

This is effective method of creating large contingent free space, as it will break files into fragments in order to do so.

This is useful if your current set up ( on said drive ) is your 'least important stuff' and it will all be compacted into as tight space as possible, making for lots of "unfragmented" free space.

Defragmented free space is used for long term performance. This should NOT be complimented with a Quick File Defrag, as it defeats the purpose of allowing fragmentation.

Defrag Folders

This is a thorough file/folder defrag as opposed to a files only defrag.

See Defrag Drive (files only)

Defrag Files

This will only defrag files that are specifically specified, and will not search folders for more fragmented files.

See Defrag Drive (files only)

Check Drive for Errors

This is basically a disk check provided by Windows for File systems, it detects errors in the way the file system is set out and indexed, and it attempts to repair these errors.

Use this after you encounter a BSOD or other system crash whilst performing a intensive writing task such as defragmenting. ( A system crash during defragmentation could lead to several corrupt files and a fragmented partition, the former being a real issue. To rectify this issue, you should use a check drive for errors when ever a defragmentation is not stopped correctly, by a power out, disconnection of harddrive or system crash etc. )