"Sort files by"memory erased

Niek

Hello,

My laptop is running on Windows XP Home Edition. Recently, it seems Windows is having trouble remembering how I want to sort the files in e.g. "open file" and "save file" dialog boxes. For example, I choose to sort my files in such a dialog box by name, but the next time I open the same dialog box in the same program, all the files are sorted otherwise. I googled my problem and was able to fix it (by changing some keys in the registry; it involved rebooting, so it takes some time). After a while, the same thing happened and I fixed again... and again... Untill I found out that the problem apeared every time I used CCleaner. Does anyone has any idea how this happens and what I can do about it?

Thanks!

I have the same problem but have not been able to fix it, even temporarily. The only instructions I found online told me how to get the files sorted correctly in Windows Explorer but that did not fix the dialog boxes. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me where you found the information. In the meantime, I will not use CCleaner until I find the solution they give you in this thread.

Hi Writeaway,

I found the solution on the website of a Belgian magazine. Since I assume you don't speak Dutch, I'll try to explain in English here.

First of all, since I don't know how familiar you are with the concept of the registry, I'd like to remind you that messing with it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. You should make sure you always make a backup first!

Open REGEDIT (from command line). Find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER, SOFTWARE, MICROSOFT, WINDOWS, SHELLNOROAM. If you open the key SHELLNOROAM, you should find (among others) the subkeys BAGMRU and BAGS. Remove those.

Now reboot Windows and restart REGEDIT. Right-click SHELLNOROAM and shoose new --> DWORD-value. Give the new value the name BagMRU Size. Then doubleclick it and set the value to 1000 (decimal). Create the same DWORD-value in SHELL (which you should find right above SHELLNOROAM).

I hope this helps! It did for me.

Greets,

Niek

Hi Writeaway,

I found the solution on the website of a Belgian magazine. Since I assume you don't speak Dutch, I'll try to explain in English here.

First of all, since I don't know how familiar you are with the concept of the registry, I'd like to remind you that messing with it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. You should make sure you always make a backup first!

Open REGEDIT (from command line). Find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER, SOFTWARE, MICROSOFT, WINDOWS, SHELLNOROAM. If you open the key SHELLNOROAM, you should find (among others) the subkeys BAGMRU and BAGS. Remove those.

Now reboot Windows and restart REGEDIT. Right-click SHELLNOROAM and shoose new --> DWORD-value. Give the new value the name BagMRU Size. Then doubleclick it and set the value to 1000 (decimal). Create the same DWORD-value in SHELL (which you should find right above SHELLNOROAM).

I hope this helps! It did for me.

Greets,

Niek

Correct. No Dutch. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply. I do understand about the registry. This doesn't seem too complicated for me. I will give it a try right now.

For Hazelnut: No, windows size/location cache not ticked.

• Moderators

An interesting article here which shows just how this problem is for vista and xp users. lots of people with this problem, you only have to put bagmru into google to see how messy it is.

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showto...&pid=248338

Wonder if SP3 puts them somewhere else.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Wonder if SP3 puts them somewhere else.
They are in the same place on my XP SP3 systems.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user