Crash during file deletion

Just installed Recuva, amazing what's still left on my computer. I noticed that there's a delete feature, and that's great! Problem is, the first time I tried to delete all the files that were left (nothing of importance, just want to clear my tracks, so to speak) part way though I got an error popup named 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library' that said:

"Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Recuva\Recuva.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

And then the dreaded Windows XP "Recuva has encountered a problem and needs to close.

We are sorry for the inconvenience" popup comes up and terminates Recuva. I chose not to debug as I wouldn't know where to start.

So here I am! ;)

Now, I had thousands upon thousands of files selected to delete, so I figured it might just be too big of a load. So I changed the view to Tree and then tried to delete smaller sections of files, but even then, I get the error partway though. (68%, 75%)

I don't see errors like this often. I don't have debugging enabled anymore, either.

I'm running WinXP SP2, just installed Recuva tonight, and I'm actually not just here for my own sake. I figure if I'm having this problem and I report it, it might help someone else someday! :P

- Druhall

Just installed Recuva, amazing what's still left on my computer. I noticed that there's a delete feature, and that's great! Problem is, the first time I tried to delete all the files that were left (nothing of importance, just want to clear my tracks, so to speak) part way though I got an error popup named 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library' that said:

"Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Recuva\Recuva.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

And then the dreaded Windows XP "Recuva has encountered a problem and needs to close.

We are sorry for the inconvenience" popup comes up and terminates Recuva. I chose not to debug as I wouldn't know where to start.

So here I am! ;)

Now, I had thousands upon thousands of files selected to delete, so I figured it might just be too big of a load. So I changed the view to Tree and then tried to delete smaller sections of files, but even then, I get the error partway though. (68%, 75%)

I don't see errors like this often. I don't have debugging enabled anymore, either.

I'm running WinXP SP2, just installed Recuva tonight, and I'm actually not just here for my own sake. I figure if I'm having this problem and I report it, it might help someone else someday! :P

- Druhall

Hi Druhall,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Thank you for taking the time to report this problem and for your consideration of others.

Your information is important.The "Bug Fixers" may need your help.Please do so.

Would you consider doing one more "run" using the debug procedure described here?

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=11523 Recuva debug mode

It sure is surprising how many deleted files there are on a PC.I found deleted files on mine from when the first install was done 4 years ago.It only took Recuva 30 mins, to "secure delete" 1 overwrite to erase approx. 50,000 files.It is very comforting to know that old deleted faxes,memos,E-mails and such are erased.

The previous users of some PCs are very thankful that they used Recuva to recover some pictures that they thought were gone forever.

All users are advised "Don' t "secure delete" all files until you have taken such matters into consideration". The embarrassing picture that you save may be your own !!! :lol:

Thanks again,

:) davey

Edited by davey

Alright, I ran it in Debug mode (I even made a shortcut for myself if I need to do it again :) )

Same result, but of course it produced a log file, which I've attached.

I've noticed a lot of the filenames are interesting such as 'pelvisbody' and 'familyhome', 'addressbook' and things, however, don't get your hopes up of discovering something dirty, lol, they're just files left over from The Sims, which I recently uninstalled. It didn't do a very good job of uninstalling, it seems :lol:

I notice at the end of the log file, it seems to just stop unexpectedly, doesn't even make any mention of the error that causes it to crash :(

Well, maybe this will help anyway.

- Druhall

Recuva_log_1_14_321__26_5_2008_18_36_.txt

Recuva_log_1_14_321__26_5_2008_18_36_.txt

Can you post any .dmp files that are in the installed folder.

:)

MrRon

I'm sorry, but there don't seem to be any .dmp files. I know what they are, too. I've had a little experience with crashes in other applications. There are no other files than the executable, recuva.ini, uninstaller and 2 .log files from debug mode in the install folder, though. Not very helpful, I know.

Edit: Made sure to show hidden and system files, definitely not there

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna reply on here since I'm not sure if the messages I sent to MrRon got through. I used the version as you asked, but got the same results, replied but haven't heard back.. Obviously I haven't been back to the forums in a few days but...doesn't seem like there's a reason for me to. I dunno.