Kaspersky, Kashmersky

jlowell

OK, I'm taking a look at the Kaspersky Personal Security Suite containing, inter alia, anti-virus, spam, firewall and spyware protection. I'd appreciate having comments about this suite, its components and its effectiveness.

jlowell

• Moderators

I think the AV that it comes with is supposed to be very good. I'm gonna be honest though I have never tried the program myself but it's more than likely going to be like the norton suite its going to do every thing but nothing right. If you get this you would still need programs such as ad aware and spybot. I think you should get everything seperate Antivirus from an Antivirus company a firewall from a firewall company, ect.

Before you buy anything look at this:

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?...5939&CID=190471

I love this program and plan to buy an aditional license after my trials up.

• Moderators

I gave the free trial a spin many years ago when it was "all the talk." I liked the GUI. The scan time was too slow compared to anything else on the market at the time, I don't necessarily think an AV scanner should take so damn long to scan files. I didn't like the configuration, there's way too much for the average to experienced user to screw up.

I remember trying it's rescue disk which used Linux as the core on my Win98 system back when I didn't know jack about PC's and was still a newbie and it asked to mount the C: drive, being a big dummy I let it do its thing, which resulted into ScanDisk taking over an hour to fix all the file errors.

Edit:

Although I had gripes about it, the virus detection is supposed to be among the best.

Yeh Kas has one of the best detection rates,trojans included but it was slow at scanning

,it's interface took a while to come into play and resource usage was over the top.Am using VET av at the moment with Ewido for malaware.

The newest version of Kas is supposed to have fixed a lot of these probs this link-

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=85978

I went to give it a go but my 8 month valid key wouldnt work so I'm gunna stick with what I've got.