Defraggler vs. JKDefrag

he who eats pie

So I'm a hardcore Piriform fanatic; I use all three of their programs frequently, update them, and anticipate new programs in the future. But when I go online on multiple freeware sites, I look at the "best defrag" program, and everywhere it's JKDefrag. I have used the program, and to be honest, I don't like it. It's nice that it's so small, but it has NO user configuration at all. Not to mention that it takes like, 2 hours. I love Defraggler. But I need someone to tell me, why is it better than JKDefrag? Or is it not? On the same lines, JK takes forever to "Optimize" the disk. Keep in mind, I don't know the specifics of Defragging at all, but I understand that this action moves commonly used programs to a more accessible part of the disk for quicker use. Does Defraggler have this functionality? Or will it at the first stable release?

Oh, and I DID do a forum search, but if I missed a topic similar to this, be gracious.

~Pie

So I'm a hardcore Piriform fanatic; I use all three of their programs frequently, update them, and anticipate new programs in the future. But when I go online on multiple freeware sites, I look at the "best defrag" program, and everywhere it's JKDefrag. I have used the program, and to be honest, I don't like it. It's nice that it's so small, but it has NO user configuration at all. Not to mention that it takes like, 2 hours. I love Defraggler. But I need someone to tell me, why is it better than JKDefrag? Or is it not? On the same lines, JK takes forever to "Optimize" the disk. Keep in mind, I don't know the specifics of Defragging at all, but I understand that this action moves commonly used programs to a more accessible part of the disk for quicker use. Does Defraggler have this functionality? Or will it at the first stable release?

Oh, and I DID do a forum search, but if I missed a topic similar to this, be gracious.

~Pie

Hi Pie Eater,

Where have you been? Good to see you back.

You must not speel to guud wen yuo do yer "searchis".I fownd lots of referees and lynx to Deefragmentacion.

Try this one. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=15283&st=0

:) davey

Well, I just read the entire thread, and to be honest, it really didn't answer any of my questions. The only thing that I saw was that JKDefrag has the option of how it is run, as in command line options. But that can't really be the only difference, right?

Also, last night I ran JK which took like, 6 hours to do my three drives, and didn't even finish, and I just analyzed with Defraggler, and it found even MORE fragmented files than before!

So please, even for the sake of just having the resource all in one place, give me a list of advantages of both, and the answers to my questions above.

Also, I am a bit perplexed as to your typing....

Well, I just read the entire thread, and to be honest, it really didn't answer any of my questions. The only thing that I saw was that JKDefrag has the option of how it is run, as in command line options. But that can't really be the only difference, right?

Also, last night I ran JK which took like, 6 hours to do my three drives, and didn't even finish, and I just analyzed with Defraggler, and it found even MORE fragmented files than before!

So please, even for the sake of just having the resource all in one place, give me a list of advantages of both, and the answers to my questions above.

Also, I am a bit perplexed as to your typing....

Hello Pie,

I just thought that thread would give some more insight into how various members are using different Defrag programs.

The other users of Defraggler would benefit also.

From reading that thread,you can see that I, like you, use the benefits of WDD,Defraggler and JkDefrag.The nice thing is that they are all free.

I can't provide you with a list of the benefits and advantages of each.It would be a very long post.

I will refer to the best source for gaining a better understanding and answering those questions.It does require a bit of reading.

Mr, Donn Edwards is a popular blogger, author,and creator and power behind The Great Defrag Shootout.

I will provide links to his reviews of these three Defrag programs.

From there you can read about how he set up his testing procedures etc.

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/1...fragmenter.html

Monday, November 19, 2007

Benchmarks*: Windows XP Disk Defragmenter

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/search/label/Thumbs%20Up

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another Look at Defraggler

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/1...defrag-328.html

Monday, November 26, 2007

Benchmarks*: JkDefrag 3.28

My readings and use of each of these Defrag programs lead me to the following conclusions.

I follow Donn Edwards advice for how often to Defrag.

If it takes less than 10 minutes, you are defragging too often.

If it takes more than an hour,you are not defragging often enough.

Defragmenting too often is just as detrimental as not defragmenting often enough.

Major updates,new program installs or old program uninstalls should be followed by use of CCleaner and then a defragmentation.

Windows Disk Defragmenter

WDD is the easiest and most useful defragmenter for the average user.It does a good job for their needs and requires no maintenance.They are advised to use the Analyze feature to see if they should defrag or not.If the analysis says to defrag then do so when they don't need to use the PC for awhile.If it says a defrag is not necessary then don't defrag.

The average user depends on the "optimization" features built into Windows.

Defraggler

Defraggler's main advantage is it's speed and the ability to defrag individual files with no more effort than a couple of mouse clicks.It allows for free space defragmentation also.It currently does not have all the disk "optimization" features of other defrag products such as JkDefrag.These features would be a natural next stage of development.However the small size of the programming team at Piriform and their plans for other products must be kept in mind.

Many IT professionals are switching to Defraggler because of it's speed.They already have their disks optimized to serve their specific needs.

JkDefrag

More advanced users use JkDefrag because of it's "optimization" features more than than it's defragmentation features.

It has built-in optimization features and the Command line parameters to allow for various sorting methods.It allows users to manipulate file positioning on the disk.It also the option to be activated like a screensaver and do quick defragmentation and/or optimization.

Many different GUIs have been developed to make it easier for less technically advanced users to use it.

Some users are confused by the fact "optimization" results in some file defragmentation.

All users should be aware of the fact that some file fragmentation is not necessarily bad.Too much fragmentation is the problem.

The only drawback to using JkDefrag is that it requires maintenance to it and it's GUI.Some GUIs are automatically providing the latest version of JkDefrag when updating the GUI.This is not a problem for advanced users but it can be for less experienced users.

Best wishes,

:) davey Luckily, I don't have to depend on my typing abilities to make a living. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

One distinct advantage of JKDefrag would be the optimization routines.

Where to put the defragged files - beginning of disk, etc. which has a lot to do with performance of your disk.

I run my optimizations by scheduled tasks at night, so I don't care how long they take.

What I care about is that they make my machine run at the fastest possible speed ("optimized")

It seems odd to me that you would ever run defrag tools manually and sit there watching what it does for an hour ??

Batch mode / commandline / scheduled tasks is key for me in this regard.

There is no doubt defraggler is darned fast though, so I use both. Defraggler is used more topically for a quick run.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks,

Interesting thread. One point should be mentioned - some folks feel the benefits of "optimization" can be more chimera than reality. As much effort and wear than benefit. One reason, as I understand, is that the Windows disk API (used for any safe defragger since Windows has a very sound and safe file moving methodology) works with a virtual picture of the disk, surprisingly enough. The counterpoint to this is that perhaps the virtual picture is close enough to the real picture to still be of benefit, that question is up in the air.

The author of DiskTune (DIY Data Recovery), another worthwhile free disk defragger, has discussed this on some forum, I think it was DonationCoder. I'm not sure how the "shootout" author looks at this, keep in mind that since he was specializing in defragging I think he is locked in to the idea that optimization is kewl. However I read his stuff a while back. Very good to get an overview of the issues.

And disk access for many purposes is far less a clog-point these days than internet slowdowns and traffic, and often even than CPU and RAM concerns. Not that many applications are very disk intensive, and even there cache tweaking is probably in many instances more significant that disk access placement. Disk reads are pretty quick these days, finger-typing is slow.

Oh, one point about optimization is that you really have to take one defragger and stick with it, since various optimizations will fight each other on placement, moving stuff around unnecessarily.

In the past I liked the Auslogics tool (current versions I think are not free .. correction, that is their registry defrag and sysinfo tools that changed, the Auslogics defrag is fine although missing some Piriform nice features) yet DeFraggler has become my #1 choice. Definitely I like the idea that you can pick files (e.g. take that 10 gb PST file only, or check the others and omit that one) and that there is a nice interface and background tasking and simplicity of use. Excellent . Even if I was trying to optimize, I probably would only do that weekly or monthly and would check with DeFraggler in the interims occasionally.

Great tool, overall, thanks Piriform. JkDefrag has a great reputation too, and there is a separate GUI front-end, however so far I find Defraggler to be excellent and more than sufficient and I prefer when the tool is all-in-one.

Shalom,

Steven Avery