Vista UAC on autorun

Donn Edwards

My wife's Vista laptop has one user, which is also the machine administrator. Every time I click on "Run CCleaner" from the Recycle bin, I get the dreaded Vista UAC (User Annoyance Control) which takes 10 seconds to load, and 10 seconds to do anything else after clicking "yes".

Needless to say, running CCleaner automatically on startup does the same. What settings cause this to happen? I can't see anything in the beginner's guide (yes, I did RTFM) and there are no icons next to any of the delete options (unless I'm blind) so what's going on here?

I have disabled UAC for now. Maybe I should just leave it off <_<

----

Donn Edwards

Johannesburg, South Africa

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/

My wife's Vista laptop has one user, which is also the machine administrator. Every time I click on "Run CCleaner" from the Recycle bin, I get the dreaded Vista UAC (User Annoyance Control) which takes 10 seconds to load, and 10 seconds to do anything else after clicking "yes".

Needless to say, running CCleaner automatically on startup does the same. What settings cause this to happen? I can't see anything in the beginner's guide (yes, I did RTFM) and there are no icons next to any of the delete options (unless I'm blind) so what's going on here?

Hello Donn Edwards,

This is my own personal bump.

Wish I could help you with this Vista Problem.

I am surprised that no Vista users have spoken up yet.Especially with your explanation of UAC(User Annoyance Control).

As I am an XP user,I have always wondered what UAC really meant.Now I understand the Vista users frustration.

I just wanted to say that I and many other members follow your GREAT DEFRAG SHOOTOUT articles with interest and anticipation. http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/

Many members may also want to read one of your latest articles also.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

XP Service Pack 3 can free up disk space

I hope we can help you as much as you have helped us.

Best Wishes,

:) davey

P.S. Thank you for keeping us up-to-date and aware of what is going on in South Africa.

Edited by davey

Saturday, May 17, 2008

XP Service Pack 3 can free up disk space

P.S. Thank you for keeping us up-to-date and aware of what is going on in South Africa.

Dear Davey

Thanks for your kind comments. Unfortunately Microsoft has imposed the UAC on users in order to get them to pressure their software suppliers to reprogram their apps to work correctly with Vista. Talk about arrogance!

I raised the problem here in the hopes that the excellent programmers who write CCleaner could have another look at this disaster called Vista. We bought my wife's HP laptop with Vista Home edition in February 2007, and immediately encountered some teething problems. SP1 has solved some of them (I can now print from my WinXP laptop to Penny's shared printer) but not all. I'll probably write about it sometime soon.

Please visit www.mg.co.za or www.thetimes.co.za for better SA news coverage than I can ever provide. I only write about what affects me directly. One thing I've not mentioned is the weather. We are going into "winter" and every morning the sun streams through the window in my study and warms up my chilly bones. Night time low is 6 degrees C yet I haven't had to use a heater in my study for the past 3 weeks. SA has the chinese curse of living in "interesting times".

----

Donn Edwards

Dear Davey

Thanks for your kind comments. Unfortunately Microsoft has imposed the UAC on users in order to get them to pressure their software suppliers to reprogram their apps to work correctly with Vista. Talk about arrogance!

I raised the problem here in the hopes that the excellent programmers who write CCleaner could have another look at this disaster called Vista. We bought my wife's HP laptop with Vista Home edition in February 2007, and immediately encountered some teething problems. SP1 has solved some of them (I can now print from my WinXP laptop to Penny's shared printer) but not all. I'll probably write about it sometime soon.

Please visit www.mg.co.za or www.thetimes.co.za for better SA news coverage than I can ever provide. I only write about what affects me directly. One thing I've not mentioned is the weather. We are going into "winter" and every morning the sun streams through the window in my study and warms up my chilly bones. Night time low is 6 degrees C yet I haven't had to use a heater in my study for the past 3 weeks. SA has the chinese curse of living in "interesting times".

I thought I saw a post from you before.Of course we will look it up again.

Are you having icon problems in the Tool > Uninstall listing ?

Have these problems always been there ?

Thanks for mentioning Vista Home Edition.I forgot to ask.

There have been some strange Vista 64bit problems relating to Administrative privileges seeming to work in reverse (Administrator not getting privileges and User getting them).

:) davey

Thanks for the web addresses.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Vista Home Premium and although the UAC only takes a split second to work, (unlike the 10 seconds you describe) it still does not allow unattended startup of Vista if you have CCleaner set to run on startup. If you don't hit the UAC confirmation, CCleaner eventually gives up.

With the time Vista takes to boot, it's usually handy to make a cup of tea while it does so, and then when you get back with the cuppa, CCleaner has not done its job.

Microsoft hint that the installer should be configured to install with the right level of UAC control, but after several pages of Microsoft-speak I gave up trying to understand it. If UAC is turned off you lose a big security plus in Vista.

By the way Vista is very good since I forced-in SP1 on my Dell Laptop - before that it gave BSOD at least once a day.

I thought I saw a post from you before.Of course we will look it up again.

I may have mentioned this some time back and several versions ago.

> Are you having icon problems in the Tool > Uninstall listing ?

No

> Have these problems always been there ?

Yes, on previous versions as well.

> Thanks for mentioning Vista Home Edition.I forgot to ask.

> There have been some strange Vista 64bit problems relating to Administrative privileges seeming to work in reverse (Administrator not getting privileges and User getting them).

My version is Home Basic 32bit, and it's possible I'm getting the reverse priviledges, but I can't tell because there is only 1 user.

I am led to believe that the way to make the product Vista-compliant is to have a service installed that does all the "Admin" type stuff, and a client that can run in limited priviledges. This strikes me as a really bad idea because its going to result in a gazillion different services running that don't need to run.

Could you perhaps put an icon next to any option that requires the UAC? My guess is that emptying th browser cache is NOT one of those actions, but perhaps deleting old prefetch data would require it.

----

Donn Edwards

• 7 months later...

Hello Donn Edwards ,

Well, it has been awhile and maybe you have already come up with a solution as regards this thread.

I figured I would let you know what the forum Members have developed. Some insight was also provided from Ramesh Srinivasan's blog.

See this thread. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=19731

Your site has always been a good source of Defragmentation information for me.

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/search...Defragmentation

The Great Defrag Shootout + Blogger Court Case

I see that I will be doing some more reading to keep up with your legal battle and I do hope that you beat those guys in the long run. ( I didn't realize that "Jaws" sharks could jump that high. I will add that picture to my collection. That B.S. meter is interesting also. :lol: )

Best wishes, :) davey

P.S. Check out the latest Defraggler when you can.

NEW DOCUMENTATION SOURCE as of January 07,2009

Piriform Documentation - Bookmark and save to Favorites

docs.piriform.com

I see that I will be doing some more reading to keep up with your legal battle and I do hope that you beat those guys in the long run. ( I didn't realize that "Jaws" sharks could jump that high. I will add that picture to my collection. That B.S. meter is interesting also. :lol: )

Best wishes, :) davey

P.S. Check out the latest Defraggler when you can.

I have settled the court case! I plan on doing a review of Defraggler using my dedicated test PC. I can't say when, but it will be in 2009.

The BS meter comes from dvorak.org/blog

----

Donn Edwards

I don't know if this is correct, but it might work. I am running Vista on my two laptops and along with CCleaner and Recuva I have another program on one of them that trips the UAC (if I have it on). I haven't had the UAC on for a while, so I do not entirely remember the message it pop ups, but I seem to remember it asking if I trust the publisher. If you go to Program and Features, where you can uninstall programs, it can list the softwares' publishers, but none of the Piriform software, nor this other program I use have that listed. Assuming that the UAC does not work by identifying the specific programs, but instead the publishers, then by not having the publishers identified by Vista, it cannot possibly tell whether the program is what you want allowed.

If this is the case then it may just be few lines of code to add so the UAC will allow CCleaner without constant reminder.

In case it makes a difference the other program without publisher information is NASA World Wind (which does trip the UAC), and some programs with publisher information (though I do not know if they trip the UAC or not, as I have not had it on practically since I have the computers) are Open Office 3 and the latest VLC player.