How do you stop Firefox dialling up?

Augeas

• Moderators

OK, all you Mozilla genuises...

On a pc with Firefox 2.0 installed, plain install no additional add-ons, a few minutes after the dial-up connection is closed FF kicks off a dial-up box. I have caught the pc when it has connected itself, but that is very rare. Anyway, it is a real pain. I can stop this by clicking Work Offline in the Edit menu, but who remembers to do this every time? So is there a way to stop this annoying habit. I want software that doesn't think and act for itself.

I don't know what is trying to dial up. If I go ahead it just connects and does nothing. It isn't a virus or spyware or anything, I have checked.

Cheers.

• Moderators

Hi Augeas, I've been a Firefox user for quite some time, and I'm fairly certain that Firefox itself has never tried to go online at any time other than when I've innitiated the connection.

Being a user of Windows Firewall, the only time I'm ever aware of something connecting to the web, is when it tries to download after it's connection. Windows Firewall always blocks any activity like this.

The only suggestion I can make, is to make a new install of something like "Online Armor", which will, from the moment you activate it, inform you immediately of any application trying to launch another, or any application making an "unauthorised" attempt to go online.

I emphasize "new install", for the simple reason that any connection at all will be innitially flagged, until the program has educated itself, or you have educated it, into allowing trusted applications to connect independently.

I hope this makes sense, as it's Saturday night, I'm on to my 4th glass of "Amber Nectar", we've just ordered pizza, and all is well with the world.

Hope this helps. :)

I hope this makes sense, as it's Saturday night, I'm on to my 4th glass of "Amber Nectar", we've just ordered pizza, and all is well with the world.

Hope this helps. :)

It sure makes sense to me.

Enjoy your evening.

:) davey