Explorer Freezing with FLV Files

hage

This is a really strange problem, but when I navigate to a folder (eg. My Documents) which contains an FLV file, Explorer will freeze. The PC starts loading really slowly and I would be forced to close that window. The stranger thing is, when I try to open FLV files with BSPlayer Pro, it freezes as well. I have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed so it should be able to play FLV files. Just so you know, Media Player Classic still plays them fine.

This is a really bizarre issue and I am unable to find any form of solution for it on Google. I do know that at least two other people share my problem with BSPlayer freezing up upon FLV file playing (interestingly, their grievance was directed towards K-Lite Codec Pack though). Is there anybody who can suggest a cause for this problem?

I have FLV Player and I keep my videos in My Videos and it opens real fast:

http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player

I don't use K-Lite Codec Pack though.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Just by a process of elimination, possibly BS Player Pro. I dunno if the "Pro" nomenclature denotes a commercial application, but I tried a version of BS Player some time ago, and it didn't work very well on my system at all.

Unless you've forked out good money for this program, I'd try something else.

I use MPlayer for FLV files, and a lot of other stuff as well, and I have never experienced any type of slowdown playing them.

Sounds like you could have some sort of conflict going on, but these things are difficult to pin down.

MPlayer: (With nice GUI)

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

I'm using the freeware GOM Player, and plays FLV flawless on my system.

To me it almost sounds like "maybe you have some conflict with a codec(s)."

K-Lite has a Codec Tweak Tool in it's start menu, use it to find broken codecs on your system, and to register others.

Of course you could just have some messed up FLV's.

I doubt it's a codec conflict since I have only one codec pack installed. I've used the Codec Tweak Tool several times but it didn't really do anything. I just downloaded GOMPlayer and it does play FLV files fine, but I'm not very fond of the layout. The player covers a big area of the screen even when playing audio files. I resized the window but it's still rather large, especially compared to BSPlayer which is very compact.

That said, I just reinstalled K-Lite Codec Pack and now FLV files work absolutely fine in BSPlayer again. I do remember this happening before though, and the problem would return after a few weeks. It's ridiculous, I know, I have no idea why it works this way too. Maybe someone could clue me on any possible reasons for its occurrence?

Right now, I'll stick with BSPlayer since I'm especially of its skinnable nature and user-friendliness. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.