SP3 question.

Anthony A

Oh, will that fix it, davey. :)

About a week or 2 before SP3,I encountered problems with Windows Update/Windows Update Automatic Update,Windows Installer and Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool.I couldn't get some already downloaded updates to install.I used Dial-a-fix plus got a fresh copy of the Windows installer at MS Downloads.Everything has been fine since then.Plus you can get your policies straightened out or at least get a picture of what is going on.

:) davey

P.S. Don't forget your basics.Turn off everything especially your firewall and security programs when installing SP3.You don't want any outside interferences from any scheduled stuff either.

ok. thanks davey..

Green double check mark then Go works for me.

Hammer Icon and Listing Icon come in real handy also. :) davey

Of course you may not be as bad off as I was.

P.S. I know. You don't have dust where you live. :lol:

I have a problem with SpywareBlaster now after third attemp to install sp3. I cant open SB. it says that if have to be run from admin account, so it set up the licence. I have tried uninstall and then install.

Well i tried to open it via default admin account, but i got the same error. After that i restored my registry backup from 04/22/08 and it solved it! It also solved some other problems that i got after failed sp3 installation. Hip hurray to ERUNT!

Well i tried to open it via default admin account, but i got the same error. After that i restored my registry backup from 04/22/08 and it solved it! It also solved some other problems that i got after failed sp3 installation. Hip hurray to ERUNT!

Now that is about the time my installer problem started.

Like the Count said "Very interesting" while snatching a view of bare neck.

ERUNT ERUNT EEEEEEEEErunt

Installing SP3 on my system took about 30 minutes, and after the reboot Windows appeared to be very much faster as before. Definitely an incentive to go for SP3! :rolleyes:

As with SP2 four years ago, it is essential that the system is free of malware before starting the service pack install.

Needless to say, a backup helps to recover from a failed update.

Disabling firewall, antivirus & antispyware may help to overcome installation difficulties.

Installing SP3 on my system took about 30 minutes, and after the reboot Windows appeared to be very much faster as before. Definitely an incentive to go for SP3! :rolleyes:

As with SP2 four years ago, it is essential that the system is free of malware before starting the service pack install.

Needless to say, a backup helps to recover from a failed update.

Disabling firewall, antivirus & antispyware may help to overcome installation difficulties.

Did the same as you on Sunday May 11,2008.

Everything up to date.

Everything disabled.

Download took approx. 1 hr.

Install took approx. 1 hr.

2 friggin hours? :blink: I'm not gonna get those 2 hours back by logging on quicker with SP3. Well, maybe after 8 years.

That was on a Sunday evening and I wouldn't doubt that a couple million other users were downloading at the same time.I might as well have been using 56KB dial-up modem.About 68MB in 1 hour.

As far as install time of 1 HR, I have a Dell Dimension 2400 approx 2.8 Gigahertz Pentium 4 and only 256MB RAM at 333 Mhertz.

Your speed may be much quicker than that.That old HP can handle it.

No problems with the SP3 install at all.

I installed it by downloading the install package (309Mb), saving it, then disconnecting from the web, disabling all security applications, and installing it. Download took 11 min~, install (including reboot) about 20-25.

Absolutely no problems at all. Windows seems a little faster, but not measurably so, everything works.

(Did of course set a system restore point prior.)

One of the main reasons for doing it is to make a OS reinstall much faster, the other is that it seems to take forever sometimes to let WU do it.

Do you have a non-Pentium processor? Are your PCs of the Compaq or Hewlett Packard (HP) variety?

Then you might want to take a gander here.

i have 256 ram and one little athlon procesor and sp3 seems to speed up my pc, but it did take like an hour to install...

That's what Microsoft brings to your life :lol: What else would you do if you weren't spending most of your time fixing the damage they do to your machines ;)

I don't get why people feel the need to get new apps/updates as soon as they are available if your machines are running fine already. Let everybody else put up with the conflicts and bugs. Let the fixes come out and the solutions get posted than when you update it should be relatively painless. Maybe people enjoy torture or something :huh:

Here is anexample of what I would like to avoid. Not a happy camper is he :o

lol

2 friggin hours? :blink: I'm not gonna get those 2 hours back by logging on quicker with SP3. Well, maybe after 8 years.

Just did my third install of Sp3 on a 3rd PC.

Friday Night thru Sat. Morn must be the secret for downloading.Everybody must be out partying or recovering.This download was fast at about 350 KB/s.Install took about 1/2 hr. with Pentium 4 3.4 GHZ

512 MB RAM.

Anyhow just set it for auto download and install when you want.

I don't know weather my computer is running a teeny bit faster after installing SP3. I do know that it's taken up more than 1 gig of disk space (which doesn't really matter that much in a 24 gig free space hd.)

A gig of space. And what new thing does it do?

instead of installing the 243 other litle ones its got loads o bug fixes and speeds up ur pc quite a bit the start up screen things still has the blue bar :-( i really wanted to be able to change it ...

I haven't seen anything new with SP3 instead of that network thingy from Vista

What is the network thingy from Vista?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

A gig of space. And what new thing does it do?

The reason I started this thread. Still no answer. You know why? Because SP3 doesn't do $hit. The few minor things it adds you probably will use rarely if ever. Oh wait I forgot it gives you all the updates since XP was released which you already had if you keep up to date. So Micro$hit gives you what you already had and has people convinced they are getting something special.

I have been following this thread with amazement. It seems people are installing SP3 simply because it's there to install. Nobody really seems concerned about what they are actually getting or in this case not getting :lol: