How good is PCTools Antivirus with ThreatFire?

Icedrake

• Moderators

When I had tried out ThreatFire back when PC Tools acquired it I had nothing but trouble from it, as in applications that are perfectly clean and safe having all sorts of problems, hence I removed ThreatFire. But this experience was early on when PC Tools acquired it, they may have fixed the issues then again they may have not.

Well, I really don't know about this. Anyway, I just switched to Avira! (wow, I've switched anti-viruses a lot of times. First AVG, next Norton, then McAfee, then avast! and then PCTools and now... Avira antivirus.) :D

EDIT: I forgot to add BitDefender and Sophos to that list.

• Moderators

I recently tried threat fire again and they have made it a lot better.

It didn't cause any problems and for the three days that I ran it I didnt see a single notification, pop up, or anything.

I really dont like those kinds of programs though so I got rid of it.

PC tools AV uses the virus burster engine which has always been ranked sort of low on most tests. I think its a fine program that doesn't seem to cause any problems but I dont have any real knowledge into how effective it really is. PC tools is a pretty big company so I assume its probably kept as up to date as all the other AVs out there.

Well, I really don't know about this. Anyway, I just switched to Avira! (wow, I've switched anti-viruses a lot of times. First AVG, next Norton, then McAfee, then avast! and then PCTools and now... Avira antivirus.) :D

How you liking Avira? Whats the resource usage for it?

Yeah, it's also working really well for me too. And where's the nag screen that everyone is talking about? I only got it once when I first installed the program and it hasn't appeared since. When does it appear? And I heard that Avira has high detection rates; is this true?

• Moderators
And where's the nag screen that everyone is talking about? I only got it once when I first installed the program and it hasn't appeared since. When does it appear?

You should start seeing it about once per day.

Edit:

I've switched to it also and finally for some weird stroke of luck the Local Security Policy is blocking avnotify.exe as its blockage is now in the Event Log.

You should start seeing it about once per day.

Edit:

I've switched to it also and finally for some weird stroke of luck the Local Security Policy is blocking avnotify.exe as its blockage is now in the Event Log.

How many processes run with AntVir and what is the total MB of RAM?

By the way the nag screen is easily disabled and so is the splash screen that appears on reboots of your system. The fix for the nag screen has already been posted here but here is the fix for the splash screen. Fix comes right from Avira

http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=211

I can't find an avgnt.exe; I can only find avguard.exe and sched.exe. Only two Avira processes (that I can see) are running, they both take up about 11mb memory.

One more thing: I also don't have a Local Security Policy thing in my Administrative Tools and I use XP Home.

• Moderators
How many processes run with AntVir and what is the total MB or RAM?

thumb_efe9dee1.png

By the way the nag screen is easily disabled and so is the splash screen that appears on reboots of your system. The fix for the nag screen has already been posted here but here is the fix for the splash screen. Fix comes right from Avira

http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=211

Yeah the nag screen disable instructions I already had archived in a text document. This time when I blocked it I did so before AntiVir's first run immediately after it installed the files.

The splash screen doesn't really bother me, however I'll save those instructions too!

Nvm, avgnt.exe just appeared in my Processes list, right when I'm trying to update Avira. Also, I don't have the Local Security Policy thing in my Administrator tools.

I can't find an avgnt.exe; I can only find avguard.exe and sched.exe. Only two Avira processes (that I can see) are running, they both take up about 11mb memory.

One more thing: I also don't have a Local Security Policy thing in my Administrative Tools and I use XP Home.

You will have to boot into safe mode to fix the nag screen in XP home. Here are the instructions for all the different operating systems.

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm