Block referer in Firefox

res45

What is a referrer?

When you browse a web site, it can collect various data about you, such as the Internet address of your computer, your region, Operating System, browser type, browser version, etc. Your web browser automatically sends this information each time it locates a new web site. One of these data is the referrer, which is the location of the last site you visited. Sites keep track of this data, mostly in a general way for statistical data and marketing research. There is a growing concern that online privacy is being infringed. To safeguard your privacy we recommend getting competent firewall software to block your browser sending information about you and your computer.

I installed Online Armor FREE today and I ran as many test as I could find online the only thing this firewall didn't pass was the referer test found on PC Flanks so i did a little research and found the fix for Firefox to block these referer. I then restarted my browser and ran the test again and it pass.

How to block

http://cafe.elharo.com/privacy/privacy-tip...ers-in-firefox/

• Moderators

On some websites blocking the referrer will make them non-functional, i.e.; when clicking on the download link for their software, etc., which is why I no longer block it.

On some websites blocking the referrer will make them non-functional, i.e.; when clicking on the download link for their software, etc., which is why I no longer block it.

Could be the case on some sites I been all over the net today doing allot of different things and so far no problems. I been keeping my eye open for that though.

• Moderators
Could be the case on some sites I been all over the net today doing allot of different things and so far no problems. I been keeping my eye open for that though.

You won't see it on all sites though. Back when I used Opera going on a couple of years now I used ran into it all the time.

Interesting, I never had such a problem. Do you just send blank referrers? "Smarter" strategies seem to be to always send back the same refererer (or the root site url), or to be even more safe to forge referrers only when moving from one domain to another (google.com to piriforum.com etc).

Personally i think it is pointless to forge or block referrers when moving withing the same domain/site...

You won't see it on all sites though. Back when I used Opera going on a couple of years now I used ran into it all the time.

I have disabled referrer on Opera and basicly have no problems with it. For example, some links to other websites won't work cause of it, and some other minor things. Nothing too serious to enable it.

• Moderators
Interesting, I never had such a problem. Do you just send blank referrers?

I don't block them period anymore. Back when I used to use CookieCop as a proxy filtering system it could block them and caused problems.