safe to clean utorrent folder?

zitnok

Hi, Can anyone advise whether it is safe to clean out the utorrent folder , found at Documents and Settings\% user %\Application Data\uTorrent?

Thanks, zitnok

Hello zitnok,

If you don't use that Application you can delete the folder itself.

Peer to Peer programs can be asking for trouble anyway.

Read this link and the other links provided.Many of the people waiting in line in the HiJack This forum are there because they use Peer-to-Peer programs.

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/...eprevention.htm

Good Luck,

:) davey

• Moderators
Hi, Can anyone advise whether it is safe to clean out the utorrent folder , found at Documents and Settings\% user %\Application Data\uTorrent?

Thanks, zitnok

This has been discussed before and the answer is no. I don't know if a winapp2.ini entry still exists to clean it out or not, and if it does it's one of those things that's just waiting to bite you on the a$$ if you mistakenly have CCleaner clean it with active incomplete downloads. If you have active downloads cleaning out the folder may or will cause problems.

You're best to configure uTorrent to move the completed *.torrent files (not the actual downloads themselves) to another folder say "C:\Temp", then have CCleaner configured to delete junk from "C:\Temp". That's the only safe way I can think of how to get rid of the *.torrent files after they've finished downloading.

And as davey has pointed out P2P sharing programs do increase the risk of infection, however with any run-of-the-mill antivirus software you can scan those files before accessing them to remove any suspicious or infected files.

This has been discussed before and the answer is no. I don't know if a winapp2.ini entry still exists to clean it out or not, and if it does it's one of those things that's just waiting to bite you on the a$$ if you mistakenly have CCleaner clean it with active incomplete downloads. If you have active downloads cleaning out the folder may or will cause problems.

You're best to configure uTorrent to move the completed *.torrent files (not the actual downloads themselves) to another folder say "C:\Temp", then have CCleaner configured to delete junk from "C:\Temp". That's the only safe way I can think of how to get rid of the *.torrent files after they've finished downloading.

And as davey has pointed out P2P sharing programs do increase the risk of infection, however with any run-of-the-mill antivirus software you can scan those files before accessing them to remove any suspicious or infected files.

Thanks to you both for your replies and advice. I didn't receive notification of your replies so I apologize for not having responded sooner.

zitnok