Use with 'pagedefrag' Sysinternals

Vambo

Just a note to suggest using Sysinternals 'Pagedefrag' prog. in conjunction with Defraggler.

Available here. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897426.aspx

This simple prog will (if you select the option) Defrag your Pagefile (swapfile) at boot.

Used in conjunction with Defraggler - your system will be about as optimised as you could wish without recourse to deeper level housekeeping.

(I'll just mention that Sysinternals suite of free software was and still is the IT tech's best friend.

It used to be independent, but Microsoft took 'em over and despite their promises, removed all access to codes. Denying independent and contiued development)

Anyway.... grab it and the excellent 'Process Monitor'

A further tip is FIRST : bin all the Windows Prefetch and temp files using CCcleaner and optimise the registry while you are at it.

Do this prior to running Defraggler. Oh, and to make sure; turn off Windows System Restore and reboot - thereby 'deleting' gigabytes of fragmented restore files.

You might want to switch it back on and create a single new restore point in case you **** your system though !

I'd like to see a pagefile defragger incorporated into any new release of Defraggler.

Also (as mentioned elsewhere) a built in scheduler is a must have for any new release.

Kudos for another excellent product. Sweet as !

.......tear along dotted line........

A further tip is FIRST : bin all the Windows Prefetch and temp files using CCcleaner and optimise the registry while you are at it.

Do this prior to running Defraggler. Oh, and to make sure; turn off Windows System Restore and reboot - thereby 'deleting' gigabytes of fragmented restore files.

You might want to switch it back on and create a single new restore point in case you **** your system though !

Hello Vambo,

Your other suggestions make a lot of sense.

But following your tip in the above statement can result in a decrease in performance for the average user and even some more experienced users.

The average user is advised not to do as you suggest.

The more experienced user will more than likely recognize the waste of time for them to do such.

Thanks for your suggestion otherwise,

:) davey

Hello Vambo,

Your other suggestions make a lot of sense.

But following your tip in the above statement can result in a decrease in performance for the average user and even some more experienced users.

The average user is advised not to do as you suggest.

The more experienced user will more than likely recognize the waste of time for them to do such.

Thanks for your suggestion otherwise,

:) davey

Fair enough Davey, I think I know what you are getting at (the prefetch/temp files yeah ?) but can you clarify ?

The idea behind this was to improve only defrag time for 'standard users' Those wishing to do a "default" defrag (Analyse - select all - defrag) will find themselves defragging a lot of restore/prefetch/temp files which will increase defrag time considerably. It's quicker than de-selecting those files (of which there can be legion)

I did this for a seriously fragged machine as a one off 'power clean'

Defragged, optimised contiguous free space, then turned the system restore back on and also ensured that I reduced the size available to the system restore (although that also is a judgement call)

Anyway, the improvement in both defrag time and performance doing it this way was palpable (on that particular machine) However, I accept that this may not necessarily be the best advice for the average user.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers

Vambo