AVG AV 8.0 very annoying.

Anthony A

I installed AVG AV 8.0 in one machine and find it to be a resource hog. That wouldn't be so bad but now you can't disable components you don't want to use. If you do you get the warning message in the main program and in the system tray. In 7.5 you could choose to ignore the warning if you disabled a component and every thing was fine. Now you do not have the option to ignore it. Funny thing is in the built in help file (not the one from the web site) it says you can set AVG 8.0 to ignore the disabled component and tells you how. Guess what that is a mistake in the help guide because it's a feature only available in the paid version. I asked on their forum :lol: Also you have have to jump through hoops if you want to install without the Link Scanner.

I really don't like AVG 8.0 at all. It got up to over 70 MB of RAM. Thats pushing Norton territory. What a disgrace. Go from one of the lowest resource users to a hog. When they started hijacking my browser with pop ups it was clear that there was a change in thinking/policy at AVG and I had my doubts about how AVG 8.0 would turn out.

I installed AVG AV 8.0 in one machine and find it to be a resource hog. That wouldn't be so bad but now you can't disable components you don't want to use. If you do you get the warning message in the main program and in the system tray. In 7.5 you could choose to ignore the warning if you disabled a component and every thing was fine. Now you do not have the option to ignore it. Funny thing is in the built in help file (not the one from the web site) it says you can set AVG 8.0 to ignore the disabled component and tells you how. Guess what that is a mistake in the help guide because it's a feature only available in the paid version. I asked on their forum :lol: Also you have have to jump through hoops if you want to install without the Link Scanner.

I really don't like AVG 8.0 at all. It got up to over 70 MB of RAM. Thats pushing Norton territory. What a disgrace. Go from one of the lowest resource users to a hog. When they started hijacking my browser with pop ups it was clear that there was a change in thinking/policy at AVG and I had my doubts about how AVG 8.0 would turn out.

not right info Please software like spyware software firewall, Link Scaner is good 6 MB ok, have you got Ad-aware?

• Moderators
not right info Please software like spyware software firewall, Link Scaner is good 6 MB ok, have you got Ad-aware?

Are you speaking in code? :P

Sorry but I have no clue what you just asked.

I finally tried AVG 8.0 today.

I managed to get it installed without the toolbar and I pretty much got what I expected. Its not any "heavier" than if you were running AVG AS with AVG 7.5. Your basically getting AS with free updates and monitoring. On top of that you get a site advisor like plug in even without the toolbar.

So basically by installing this program you get AV/AS/Site advisorish program. Not bad for free.

If they dont hound you with pop ups I could see this being my pick to install on computers that I clean up for other people.

ask Anthony A wait software as I think it not like AVG like Firewall & spyware scanner as it may be a conflict. Anthony AVG 70 MB of Ram old AVG 2 mb of Ram may be bit hight? at 70 MB

still I had Ad-Aware on 184 MB still if you have the ram it will eat it, do you 3000 MB of ram?

ask Anthony A wait software as I think it not like AVG like Firewall & spyware scanner as it may be a conflict. Anthony AVG 70 MB of Ram old AVG 2 mb of Ram may be bit hight? at 70 MB

I posted a screen shot of what AVG 8 was using in this thread. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=15584

It got higher from there.

I posted screen shots on here before of AVG 7.5 using about 2 MB. There is a definite jump in resources.

Are you speaking in code? :P

Sorry but I have no clue what you just asked.

I finally tried AVG 8.0 today.

I managed to get it installed without the toolbar and I pretty much got what I expected. Its not any "heavier" than if you were running AVG AS with AVG 7.5. Your basically getting AS with free updates and monitoring. On top of that you get a site advisor like plug in even without the toolbar.

So basically by installing this program you get AV/AS/Site advisorish program. Not bad for free.

If they dont hound you with pop ups I could see this being my pick to install on computers that I clean up for other people.

rridgley can you post a screen shot of Task Manager to show what AVG 8 is using?

A major flaw in AVG 8 is the lack of ability to disable the faulty component warning. It has not even been added in the pro version and there are several posts on the AVG forum about it. So if you disable a component you will have a security warning that cannot be ignored. This was not an issue in 7.5.

A couple thing I have found you can do to AVG 8.

How to install AVG 8 without Link Scanner: Maybe some of you can figure this out I tried several different way to do this and I couldn't get it to work correctly. http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338#faq_1338 I ended up going to the tools menu on Firefox and IE 7 and just disabling it under the add-ons manager. It's still on the program interface but at least I don't have to deal with that dumb RED !!!!!

To completely disable the notification drop-down, simply rename/move these two files in your AVG 8 directory. Worked for me. Program seem to run fine not sure if it will come back under future updates if so I will trash them again.

I deleted these two files out of the C:/ Programs Folder/AVG 8

1) avgresf.dll

2) avgmwdef_us.mht ( file appeared in my folder as avgmwdef.)

A couple thing I have found you can do to AVG 8.

How to install AVG 8 without Link Scanner: Maybe some of you can figure this out I tried several different way to do this and I couldn't get it to work correctly. http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338#faq_1338 I ended up going to the tools menu on Firefox and IE 7 and just disabling it under the add-ons manager. It's still on the program interface but at least I don't have to deal with that dumb RED !!!!!

To completely disable the notification drop-down, simply rename/move these two files in your AVG 8 directory. Worked for me. Program seem to run fine not sure if it will come back under future updates if so I will trash them again.

I deleted these two files out of the C:/ Programs Folder/AVG 8

1) avgresf.dll

2) avgmwdef_us.mht appeared in my folder as avgmwdef.

I disabled the link scanner the same way in the browsers.

Whats your resource usage like?

You need to jump through too may hoops to get this AVG right. You shouldn't have to do command line stuff to not install a component. you should be able to disable any component and then choose to ignore the faulty condition warning like any other AV program can including AVG 7.5

You need to jump through too may hoops to get this AVG right. You shouldn't have to do command line stuff to not install a component. you should be able to disable any component and then choose to ignore the faulty condition warning like any other AV program can including AVG 7.5

I understand about the hoops thing,not sure what they were thinking NOT but hopefully they will fix some of these issues,as far as resources go I'm currently running a scan on my D: backup drive, CPU is running at 1% Memory usage is up at about 20%. That being said I set my scanners to run after midnight anyways so it doesn't cause me a problem anyways.

I understand about the hoops thing,not sure what they were thinking NOT but hopefully they will fix some of these issues,as far as resources go I'm currently running a scan on my D: backup drive, CPU is running at 1% Memory usage is up at about 20%. That being said I set my scanners to run after midnight anyways so it doesn't cause me a problem anyways.

What I meant by resources is what is AVG using in RAM when you are not scanning? When you use the computer and just have AVG ruinning normally, not scanning and not updating just running normal.

I expect a jump in CPU and RAM when scanning. No problem there as I don't do anything when it scans any ways. Also you set the priority of the scans so it doesn't use too much resources if you want. The automatic updates are done silently in the back ground. You don't even know they happened until you check the logs and see updated definitions in the main screen.

Looks like it runs between 15 and 21K on normal,I have about 2 GB of RAM doesn't seem to slow me down any running or not that I have noticed. When I ran the test scan on my D: drive a while ago I did my normal Internet browsing and worked on some stuff everything seemed fine. I guess on a lesser machine it would be a problem.

Looks like it runs between 15 and 21K on normal,I have about 2 GB of RAM doesn't seem to slow me down any running or not that I have noticed. When I ran the test scan on my D: drive a while ago I did my normal Internet browsing and worked on some stuff everything seemed fine. I guess on a lesser machine it would be a problem.

Mine is significantly higher than 15 and 21k.

• 1 month later...
NEW IN AVG FREE 8.0 (SP1)

Posted by: michaelhd - AVG Team (IP Logged)

Date: June 24, 2008 09:18AM

AVG Free SP1 is due for release in the next few weeks (mid july or earlier).

It will be a standard update to existing AVG Free 8.0 installation - no need to install new build.

It will have option in custom install screen to de-select the linkscanner component.

We hope that this new option gives our valued customers the "choice" that they have requested. Those who have experienced genuine problems with web surfing speed can de-select the linkscanner.

However the default "standard installation" will continue to install this valuable security tool to protect users while they surf.

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?14,133954,backpage=,sv

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I just use Avast, no biggie. The usual posters here at CC have a knack for keeping their PCs clean & out of trouble. We know the basics of everything, where to go, what to download. Percentage-wise we should have some of the most safe, secure PCs out there. Who cares if it's AVG, Avast or Antivir. I bet with just the extensive anti-malware, anti-rootkits programs etc. in our PCs we'd be the last to get hit by a bad virus. We all know the etiquette of emails for what, the past 7 years now? We're not dumb. We be smart! :D (knocks on wood)

Why continue to get worked up about it, just use another AV and forget about AVG until they perhaps release the "next big version."

Not getting worked up. Can't get mad about free programs. I have moved on. Avira is one machine Avast on another and AVG 7.5 still on two others.

I wish they wouldn't discontinue tried & true products. They're throwing away perfectly good versions in place for a heavy one. :( I was upset when they threw away AVG anti-rootkit (only to place it in their security suite, them rotten bastards ;) ). Anyways, I miss the old feel of AVG-AV.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.