Really low-mem using free good anti-virus programs?

Icedrake

• Moderators

The lowest mem one I can think of would be an on-demand only av like the free online scanners, or the open source ClamWin. However with ClamWin there currently isn't a resident shield in it. Therefore it can only find viruses after they're on your system however it does make for a good secondary only scanner, or for people that could care less about resident protection. It does however take a long time to finish a complete system scan.

• Moderators

Can we assume that you're still running with Avast from your other thread?

Toss a coin and pick and stick with one of the three recommended. I've used Avast for quite some time now, and although it may have the largest footprint of the three, I've never had any problems at all, and I run with 512mb of memory.

• Moderators
Umm not exactly. :D You see, I just can't stick with one anti-virus, right now though, I'm using Avira.

Out of the free full-featured av's currently available I'd say Avira AntiVir Personal v8 and PC Tools Free Antivirus are the least resource hungry from what I've seen.

Edit: Unless you use AVG 7.5 Free until the end of the year, that's probably the least resource hungry one.