System Configuration Utility

writeaway

Yesterday I used the System Configuration Utility to untick a program in the Startup menu. This a.m. I was greeted by this message popup:

----------------------------------------------

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the Utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the system Configuration Utility.

------------------------------------------------

The whole system is extremely slow online, though only a little sluggish offline. It took forever to get my questions posted on the forum.

If I follow the directions and select the Normal Startup option, will all the services that I have painstakingly turned off over time start running on startup again? Or will it just load the one application it changed? Or will something else happen?

Could I restore the registry from a few days ago instead? And, if I do that, will the tracking cookies I finally got rid of by setting them to be deleted at start-up reappear?

Another question I have is: What is the utility used for, if not to make changes? Is it just to look at? What good is it then?

HP Pavilion - Pentium® 4CPU

160GB HDD 512 MB RAM

Windows XP SP2 Home

P.S. Yes, I know I have way too many questions today. I promise I am through now though.

Why not posts a HijackThis log in the log analysis area?

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=12

Get HijackThis:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/to...ckthis/download

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Yesterday I used the System Configuration Utility to untick a program in the Startup menu. This a.m. I was greeted by this message popup:

----------------------------------------------

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the Utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the system Configuration Utility.

Go back to msconfig and select Normal Startup mode. davey

The whole system is extremely slow online, though only a little sluggish offline. It took forever to get my questions posted on the forum.

If I follow the directions and select the Normal Startup option, will all the services that I have painstakingly turned off over time start running on startup again? Or will it just load the one application it changed? Or will something else happen?

It will just undo what you put in when you inadvertently changed the startup mode. davey

Could I restore the registry from a few days ago instead? And, if I do that, will the tracking cookies I finally got rid of by setting them to be deleted at start-up reappear?

Don't restore the Registry,No need to. davey

Another question I have is: What is the utility used for, if not to make changes? Is it just to look at? What good is it then?

The utility has it purposes but you need to understand it.For somethings it is better to use another utility.

This is because some things are assumed that it is doing but that is not the case. davey

HP Pavilion - Pentium? 4CPU

160GB HDD 512 MB RAM

Windows XP SP2 Home

P.S. Yes, I know I have way too many questions today. I promise I am through now though.

Never too many questions. davey

See my answers in bold above.

WE are all in a learning curve.

Some of us learn to teach along the way.

DennisD answer is valuable.

Good Luck, :) davey

Dennis, do both of these programs do about the same thing? If so, which do you prefer?

Hi Tom,

I just downloaded both and tested.

WhatsRunning: This is free with no strings and I find it very useful.No need to go searching on the net to find out about processes.Loads of good info. This is a keeper for me.

Ashampoo Startup Tuner 2: Free for 10 days. I don't find it to be of much use in any regards.

There are other tools for free that provide much more functionality.I will be uninstalling this one soon.

:) davey

Once you get this sorted, I'd suggest using one of the following programs, or similar, because changes can be made with a simple check-box, and then reverted just as easily.

WhatsRunning:

Ashampoo Startup Tuner 2:

Both freeware.

DennisD,

Thanks a lot buddy!Where you been hiding these.

I wasn't too impressed initially with Ashampoo Startup Tuner 2 but I need to check it out further.

WhatsRunning http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx

However,I had logged off Piriform and did some more testing of WhatsRunning and I just had to log back in and say that this utilty is very worthwhile keeping.

I LIKE IT VERY MUCH. WhatsRunning

:) davey

Edited by davey