Windows license key?

Capman

How can I find out what the license key is on a ME computer?

A friend was given the computer, it has a legit copy of windows on it, but he was not given any documentation, or windows cd, or anything else except for the computer.

He is a newbie to computers, so there is a good chance he will muck it up, and I will end up reinstalling it for him.

I want to find the license key as soon as possible, whilst it is still working. I am sure I have hunted through the registry in the past to find it but can't remember where to look now.

I did come across a little program that would do it not so long ago, but did not bother with it as I thought I would never need it, I wish I had got it now, just for the sake of getting it.

I have winMe also. I found this info at Microsoft, Article ID: 824433, it works on my system: Lost or misplaced Product Key for Windows, go to Start>run>type regedit.exe then locate the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|Software|MIcrosoft|Windows|CurrentVersion

I then left click CurrentVersion once and scroll to Product Key at far right.

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Good luck, newbeee

I have winMe also.  I found this info at Microsoft, Article ID:  824433, it works on my system: Lost or misplaced Product Key for Windows, go to Start>run>type regedit.exe  then locate the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|Software|MIcrosoft|Windows|CurrentVersion

I then left click CurrentVersion once and scroll to Product Key at far right.

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Good luck, newbeee

Thanks newbee, its handy to know that way in case I dont have my software CD with me.

Thanks englishmen, that was the program I came across a while ago, I've downloaded it now for future use, because I know I wont remember newbee's way.

I wrote this a while back (years). A very basic VBS script.

Pop this code into notepad and save it as ProductKey.vbs (Btw, doesn't work on XP as I came to learn. :D)

Option ExplicitDim ws, boxtitle, regkey1, regkey2, cdkey, vbCR, boxtext, MyBox, winver, winver2vbCR = Chr(13)Set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")boxtitle = "Retrieve Windows Product Key"regkey1 = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\"winver = ws.RegRead(regkey1 & "VersionNumber")If winver = "4.00.950" Thenregkey2 = "ProductID"winver2 = "Windows 95"elseif winver = "4.00.1111" Thenregkey2 = "ProductID"winver2 = "Windows 95 OSR2"elseif winver = "4.03.1214" Thenregkey2 = "ProductID"winver = "Windows 95 OSR2/USB"elseif winver = "4.10.1998" thenregkey2 = "ProductKey"winver2 = "Windows 98"elseif winver = "4.10.2222" thenregkey2 = "ProductKey"winver2 = "Windows 98 SE"elseif winver = "4.90.3000" thenwinver2 = "Windows Me"regkey2 = "ProductKey"elseboxtext ="This script will not work on Windows XP"End Ifcdkey = ws.RegRead(regkey1 & regkey2)boxtext = "Your " & winver2 & " CD Key is:" & vbCR & vbCRMyBox = MsgBox(boxtext & cdkey, 4160, boxtitle)

Just found out tonight I had the answer to this all along, what an idiot.

I was reading an old thread about nero, where englishmen asked if anyone knew of an app that would tell him the name and manufacturer of a disc drive, and he never seemed to get an answer, so I thought I know what can do that,

Belarc Advisor

opened it up to check and there was my product key for XP as well.

Thought I would post it in case it helps anyone else, you can never have too many options.