Change of Anti-Virus

writeaway

Because of AVG's trend, I am thinking of changing to either Avast or AntiVir. Which offers better protection? Or, what else would you recommend?

How difficult is it to uninstall AVG?

HP Pavilion - Pentium® 4CPU

160GB HDD 512 MB RAM

Windows XP SP2 Home

Because of AVG's trend, I am thinking of changing to either Avast or AntiVir. Which offers better protection? Or, what else would you recommend?

HP Pavilion - Pentium? 4CPU

160GB HDD 512 MB RAM

Windows XP SP2 Home

I would recommend AntiVir. It has superior detection rates.

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

System.out.println("Mwuhahahaha");

}

I would recommend AntiVir. It has superior detection rates.

That's what they say although all three of the free ones are good. Antivir doesn't have email scanning last time I checked that might have changed though in the new version. Not that it matters to me I shut that off in AVG anyways. When it's time to switch from AVG 7.5 I will try out AVG 8.0 and if I don't like it I will probably go with Avira. I find Avasts lack of a help document to read before I install a major annoyance and there is absolutley no excuse for it so I will avoid them. AVG and Avira have full and well done help files available from their sites to read before installing.

• Moderators

Grisoft includes one awesome uninstaller for AVG and they have for several years, it won't leave much behind but a folder or two and maybe a few registry keys.

• Moderators
I find Avasts lack of a help document to read before I install a major annoyance and there is absolutley no excuse for it so I will avoid them.

They have documentation on their website, and even a downloadable PDF document. Albeit the PDF document is for the commercial version you'll get the gist of it even if using the free Home Edition.

They have documentation on their website, and even a downloadable PDF document. Albeit the PDF document is for the commercial version you'll get the gist of it even if using the free Home Edition.

I looked at that. They need to take lessons from AVG or Avira on how to create a help guide.

I recommend PCTools Anti-Virus (this alternative isn't that popular as Avast! or Avira but it's still good) It's really, really low on system resources and very user-friendly!

Thanks for all the input. I guess Avira wins the popular vote.

I do know that it doesn't provide email protection but AVG's email scanning left a lot to be desired. Several times I checked with a credit card company to see if they had sent me a specific message. They each asked me to forward the message to them, but AVG blocked the email I tried to send saying the messages contained phishing viruses. So- where was the caution when it came to me? Maybe I just don't understand the email protection at all.

Thanks again.

Ok, yes, Avira doesn't have an E-mail Scanner. But, answer me this, what good does an "E-mail Scanner" have if the dectection don't work as good a it's supposed to? Anecdote from another forum:

I get about 30-40 spam emails daily, here at home. Windows Mail (on Vista) is the client and it has a nice spam filter. A couple of days ago, I was sifting through the spam box, before deleting, and saw a nice "Paris Hilton" message - with attachment. OOoo. AntiVir is installed but doesn't have an email scanner, so everything comes in. Panic ? Nah. I don't have much time to analyse nasties but I thought this one might be interesting (hey it's spring time, gimme a break..). So I saved the attachement to the Desktop. AntiVir quiet. Moved the file to VM (XP with Avast! 4.8). Unzipped and ran saver.exe (looking forward to that "clip" of Miss Hilton they promised me). File ran while Avast! watched in silence (it's worse than me !). Nice backdoor infection and VM started spamming almost immediately. Can't find the darn "clip"

So next I go back to the Host (Vista) and decide to run the file through Virus Total. As soon as I unzip the thing, AntiVir gets mad and blocks it (Trojan.Gen or something similar). HEY !... my "clip" ! Oh well... "Ignore" and then VT : only two or three AVs could see it. Nice and fresh.

So if anybody tells you that AntiVir (free) stinks because it doesn't have an email scanner, well... best to have good detections when an infected attachment is run than have 7 shields that sleep on the job

Still looking for my "clip".

It's not just the: "They say...", it's the facts that talk now. Anyway, you decide with which AV you feel more comfortable. Those are my 2 last cents. hehe :)

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

}

Well for the past 12 years I've been using McAfee antivirus then I had problems installing the updates last year so I switched to AVG Free Edition. I did a full scan and it picked up on a virus that McAfee never found. So I don't care what you say you won't beat the AVG Free Edition. ;)

Its not difficult to remove AVG, just look in Add/Remove Programs.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Where is ThreatFire?

I find that I can only wash my dishes once and they are clean no matter if I use Palmolive, Sunlight or a cheap generic dishwashing product.

Chose one anti virus and don't open email attachments nor surf without the recommended Security applications installed.

I chose avast! Free.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Ok, yes, Avira doesn't have an E-mail Scanner. But, answer me this, what good does an "E-mail Scanner" have if the dectection don't work as good a it's supposed to? Anecdote from another forum:

I don't see the need for an email scanner. Don't open e mails from people you don't know. Especially if it has an attachment. In case you have a blond with big boobs moment and do something stupid like open an attachment from some one you don't know the resident shield will protect you just like it does if you open any infected file. The email scanner is redundant IMO and I disabled it in AVG.

I don't see the need for an email scanner. Don't open e mails from people you don't know. Especially if it has an attachment. In case you have a blond with big boobs moment and do something stupid like open an attachment from some one you don't know the resident shield will protect you just like it does if you open any infected file. The email scanner is redundant IMO and I disabled it in AVG.

Not blondes also do lol. Don't know why though.

Always thinking they:

1)Won Something - Wohoooooooo

2)Uhhhh interesting e-mail

3)etc...a millon more reasons

Why I wonder...

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

}

• Moderators
But look at this though: Clicky!

Being included on that list is pretty good though isn't it?

Many upon many will get awarded with "Vendors certified for Anti-Virus detection." PC Tools AntiVirus from my experience will catch some stuff others may miss, and found the file on my system that I had thought was suspicious for a very long time, but it had never did anything malicious.

I followed my own advice and just switched over permanently to PC Tools Free AntiVirus just last night because Avast for some reason was having trouble "initializing it's engine" to begin a scan and was taking about 10 minutes to begin a scan. :huh: After an uninstall and clean install it didn't fix it, so the switch was rather necessary and I surely didn't have the patience for it to take 10 minutes to "initialize it's engine."

Many upon many will get awarded with "Vendors certified for Anti-Virus detection." PC Tools AntiVirus from my experience will catch some stuff others may miss, and found the file on my system that I had thought was suspicious for a very long time, but it had never did anything malicious.

I followed my own advice and just switched over permanently to PC Tools Free AntiVirus just last night because Avast for some reason was having trouble "initializing it's engine" to begin a scan and was taking about 10 minutes to begin a scan. :huh: After an uninstall and clean install it didn't fix it, so the switch was rather necessary and I surely didn't have the patience for it to take 10 minutes to "initialize it's engine."

What did you think Of Avira Antvir? I remember you trued it recently but I dont remember what you thought about it?

• Moderators
What did you think Of Avira Antvir? I remember you trued it recently but I dont remember what you thought about it?

I like the new AntiVir Personal. My only problem with it is that stupid AntiVir Notifications ("avnotify.exe") ad window that even properly setting the Local Security Policy to block couldn't block, sorry but that window is just too f'n annoying to have AntiVir installed, plus I hate the red theme the program has.

Who knows I may try it again though and find another way to block avnotify.exe or kill it as soon as it loads, since I after all switch antivirus software regularly.

Although I think that PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition is good I don't like it's non-descriptive systray icon, and the fact that scanning exclusions only work during one Windows session. So I'll probably switch to something else again that allows scanning exclusions to stay between Windows sessions because constantly scanning things like the Microsoft Office .CAB files is a significant waste of time, and since they'll never change they only need to be scanned once.

I just don't get it. I've never seen PCTools stuff being mentioned on those anti-virus comparing sites. I use PCTools too...

avast! Professional Edition 4.7

AVG Anti-Malware 7.5

AVIRA AntiVir Personal Edition Premium 7.06

BitDefender Antivirus 2008 11.0

eScan Anti-Virus 9.0

ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 3.0

F-Secure Anti-Virus 2008 8.0

G DATA AntiVirusKit (AVK) 2008 18.0

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.1

McAfee VirusScan Plus 2008 12.0

Microsoft OneCare 2.0

Norman SS Antivirus & Anti-Spyware 7.0

Sophos Anti-Virus 7.0

Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2008 15.0

TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 2.8.0

VBA32 Scanner for Windows 3.12.6

On this site you will find independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software. All products listed in our comparatives are already a selection of some very good anti-virus products. In order to get tested by us, companies must fulfill various conditions and minimum requirements.

To stay informed about current tests and releases, please also have a look to our Weblog.

Some antivirus products are presented in our forum by the various vendors.

PC Tools

by admin (Nov 13th 2007, 10:02am)

0 1,367

No reply the last time said like no good as a Anti-Virus only test it if you can call it a antivires