Frame Rate issues

Goddyfather

Hey guys

I just got a new laptop here last week (HP Pavilion DV9000) with :

Intel? Core2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz

3GB Ram

Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit (Build 6000)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

I tested what games it could run on systemrequirementslab.com , and it could run Crysis on medium and Call Of Duty on high so it seemed like a very nice laptop.

But it has a very annoying little touch?.

When i just play a game like Call Of Duty 4 multiplayer, Guild Wars, Counter Strike or whatever then it goes just as it should for a little while, but then suddenly the framerate drops dramaticly for a few seconds and goes up quickly again, I can't count how many times that costed me a kill or death :lol:

It drops all down to like 7 fps and I can barely do anything when it goes there. It just goes on and off all the time <_<

Does anyone know what the problem could be and have a solution?

I scanned it for virus and snizzle but there was nothing, Haven't really downloaded anything special either, just installed a few games and some normal programs for movie making and that's it.

Could use some help, it's very annoying :(

First, update your drivers. However, are you you playing those games online? Cause maybe something is happening with your internet connection -- are you connected wirelessly or through a modem/router directly?

AJ

Try disabling ZoneAlarm.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

If the problem has gone away without doing anything, it will probably return. It may be caused by varying CPU and I/O activity. I'm not into gaming but I have done a little video editing and they both can be resource hogs.

If the problem returns, and you haven't already tried this.....

try closing all other programs and killing all unnecessarybackground processes, including the screen saver. If you aren't playing on line, disconnect from the internet and stop your antivirus/anti spam software. If other processes are grabbing system resources, monitoring CPU usage and I/O activity with task manager might tell you which one.

I don't know where HP rates in the bloatware department, but since your laptop is new, you could take a look at everything in the starup file with CCleaner, and maybe eliminate a few items to reduce system resource load..

If the problem has gone away without doing anything, it will probably return. It may be caused by varying CPU and I/O activity. I'm not into gaming but I have done a little video editing and they both can be resource hogs.

If the problem returns, and you haven't already tried this.....

try closing all other programs and killing all unnecessarybackground processes, including the screen saver. If you aren't playing on line, disconnect from the internet and stop your antivirus/anti spam software. If other processes are grabbing system resources, monitoring CPU usage and I/O activity with task manager might tell you which one.

I don't know where HP rates in the bloatware department, but since your laptop is new, you could take a look at everything in the starup file with CCleaner, and maybe eliminate a few items to reduce system resource load..

Thanks for the tip, I have downloaded CCleaner and removed some stuff, and I closed down some of my background programs, including the stupid Norton which was very annoying.

I hope it lasts now :lol: