CCleaner - Recent docs not deleting

Hi, I'm using CCleaner, and before this last version, the cleaner removed recently used files which I opened using Microsoft Word. Since the update, it has stopped removing them, even though I have the "Remove Recent Documents" option checked. Please note that this happens with any application, not just Microsoft Word. Here is some technical information you may find handy.

Operating System: Windows XP Home SP2

CCleaner v2.06.567

If you need anything more, please let me know!

Thanks!

Hi, I'm using CCleaner, and before this last version, the cleaner removed recently used files which I opened using Microsoft Word. Since the update, it has stopped removing them, even though I have the "Remove Recent Documents" option checked. Please note that this happens with any application, not just Microsoft Word. Here is some technical information you may find handy.

CCleaner v2.06.567

Thanks!

Hello Face,

Welcome to the forum!!!

This is a good topic for CCleaner users to know more about.

I don't think CCleaner is cleaning your Recent Documents because something has happened in your Registry related to Recent Documents.This occurs infrequently but it does occur in XP.

Bookmark and Add to Favorites this link.It is a great source for XP users.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

Click on the topic "Tweaks" in the left hand list. Now scroll down to line 55. Click on the left hand entry

Restore Recent Documents, My Documents. Click on Save and save the file in My Documents.(You will need this again someday.) Now double click on the saved file and select "Run" then select "Yes".

Congratulations ,you have just fixed your Registry as regards Recent Documents and My Documents.

I could have given you a direct link to the fix but this way you learned how to navigate around Kelly's website.There are links to other MVPs and other goodies on her site.If you can't afford it now come back later and make a donation to her site.

I hope this fixes your problem.It always has for me.Pass this info on to your friends.

:) davey

Hi Davey, thanks for the reply!

I added the registry entry as instructed, however, the cleaner still refuses to remove recently opened documents history. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Face,

I am using WinXP SP2 Pro and I have not had this problem with CCleaner 2 06 or the v 2.07.

In the past I encountered problems by turning off "list my most recently opened documents " in the Advanced tab.I now leave it on all the time.As long I keep this on then I do not encounter any problem.

Turn it off for awhile then I do.

Does clicking on "Clear List" clear your Recent Documents.

t890_20080430232718.png

Take care off these two things first.

Then reapply the Registry fix and Reboot.

Create some Recent Documents and then try CCleaner.

That's all I can think of for now.I am going to try things on a WinXP SP2 Home edition in a little bit.

P.S. Works on WinXp SP2 Home Ed. also.

Edited by davey

Sadly, not even that cleared the list. Worse yet, it's not set to record anymore... :huh:

I will do some more reseach and others may help also.

Make sure you leave the option on in your Start up menu.

I have had more problems with My Recent Documents than anything else in my computer.

If you have TweakUI make sure that option is also set under Explorer tweaks and also make sure Clear document history on exit is off.

See you later.

Thanks for your time, and please keep me updated ;)

If you don't have TweakUI than get it from MS and also the applet from Kelly's.They both work on WinXp SP2 PRO or HOME ED. TweakUI is a valuable tool for all XP users and others even Vista.

1. Download and install Tweak UI:

Tweak UI is an application provided by Microsoft. With this tool, one can customize the user interface of Windows XP easily. Please download Tweak UI from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...wertoySetup.exe?

Then, double-click the downloaded .exe file to install Tweak UI.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 1 for TWEAKUI applet for Control Panel. WinXp, not sure if works for Vista.

Try the following to Undo Clear Recent Documents.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 70 Clear Recent Documents UNDO.Click on UNDO.

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Recent and see what is in that folder.There should only be Shortcuts to all the documents you have viewed plus a hidden Desktop.ini file.Anything else in there should not be there.Note what it is and save it somewhere else if you want it.Delete everything except the Desktop.ini .

In TweakUI set the settings like I mentioned in the previous reply.After setting options don't forget to click on Apply button.Some people forget to do this.Also note that some settings are per user and require log off and log on.

If you use TweakUI theses KB articles may apply to you also.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810869

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/233518

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274849

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284896

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886217

APPLIES TO

? Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)

? Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)

? Microsoft Windows XP Professional

? Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

? Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server

? Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

? Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

? Windows Vista Business

? Windows Vista Enterprise

? Windows Vista Home Basic

? Windows Vista Home Premium

? Windows Vista Ultimate

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=6 Download TweakUI 2.2(NOT ITANIUM) WinXp 64-Bit Edition - NeoSmart Technologies. Once there, go to the bottom of the page and click "Download"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx Tweak UI for Itanium?-based systems Right hand list approx 2/3 down

To get TweakUI working on Windows Vista, just download the XP version with the correct architecture (i.e. if you have Vista x64 download TweakUI x64, and if you have Vista x86 download the x86 edition). After setup is finished, right click the shortcut to TweakUI -> Properties -> Compatibility. Set it to run as an administrator and in XP compatibility mode. Close the dialog and run the app.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...epowertoys.mspx Tweak MCE - for Media Center Edition 2005

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/twktips.htm Handy TweakUI tips and related links

Now try to create some Recent docs and clear them.

This is what I did to get mine working again as best I can remember.

Edited by davey

Thanks for the reply :)

Here's the strange thing --- In the Shared Documents folder, I have no desktop.ini file only 3 files were there, and they were shortcuts. I also checked with TweakUI as suggested and it's all still the same.

Thanks again!

Here's the strange thing --- In the Shared Documents folder, I have no desktop.ini file only 3 files were there, and they were shortcuts. I also checked with TweakUI as suggested and it's all still the same.

Thanks again!

Many things may be strange.For now lets stick to Recent Documents.

Do you know how to find this file ?

Do you know how to change Folders options to show hidden files also?

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Recent and see what is in that folder.There should only be Shortcuts to all the documents you have viewed plus a hidden Desktop.ini file.Anything else in there should not be there.Note what it is and save it somewhere else if you want it.Delete everything except the Desktop.ini .

You see I really don't know your experience level.I may have overwhelmed you with the last post but I can step you through things step by step.We all were born naked.No difference now.

Thanks again!

After using TweakUI, did you Log off and then Log on for those changes to take effect?

If not do it.The idea is to change the options you have to and then Click on Apply and OK. Then the changes for all those settings in TweakUI will be put into effect.Some changes require log off and log back on to take effect.

Believe me, my user folders were out of wack also but I straightened them out.

If you accidentally called the Recent Documents folder the Shared Documents folder in your reply,tell me. If so, did you manually delete the shortcuts.The Desktop.ini file is hidden in that folder also.Just make sure that there are no other hidden files in there.

Did you try creating some more Recent documents and try to delete them using CCleaner?

Is the Clear list button still greyed out on the Advanced tab in Customize Start Menu?

Maybe your Recent Documents folder settings got changed somehow.

Check this out:

To Display the My Recent Documents Folder

To display the My Recent Documents folder on the Start menu:

1. Right-click Start, and then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click an empty area of the Start menu, and then click Properties.

2. Click Customize.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. Under Recent documents, click to select the List my most recently opened documents check box, click OK, and then click OK. The next time you click Start, the My Recent Documents command is displayed on the Start menu.

If you are still stuck I'd suggest a system file check. Let me know if you need instructions.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the same MS Word problem as Facedown98 with the current version of CCleaner.

When I run CCleaner my recent MS Word documents are listed to be cleaned. After I clean them they no longer appear in My Recent Documents, but when I go back into MS Word they are listed under the Open heading on the right of the screen, and also in the File dropdown list. Previously they would not have appeared in either of these places.

I have tried all the suggestions posted for this topic, to no avail.

There appears to be no similar problem with cleaning Excel spreadsheets.

Question 1: Even though My Recent Documents is cleared, is it possible that MS Word picks up these documents from some other file or folder?

Question 2: Is it possible to download a previous version of CCleaner to check if it's the current version that's causing this problem?

FYI: O/S is XP Home Edition SP2.

CCleaner v2.06.567

Thanks!

I too have been experiencing that problem with the latest version of CCleaner (version 2.07.575).

I have reinstalled version 2.04.543 and Recent Documents are now being removed again.

Why faff about, to no benefit but high risk, with the registry? The fault appears to be within the recent versions.

I too have been experiencing that problem with the latest version of CCleaner (version 2.07.575).

I have reinstalled version 2.04.543 and Recent Documents are now being removed again.

Why faff about, to no benefit but high risk, with the registry? The fault appears to be within the recent versions.

Hi HJH,

Thanks for replying to this thread.

There are very,very few users experiencing this problem.

I am not saying that there is no problem.

What I am asking for is your help by answering the following questions.

With so few reporting this ,we definitely need your valuable information.

The following info will help others to possibly come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Just fill in the answers next to or below the questions?

Provide a list of your CCleaner.ini file.( Tick option for Save settings to INI file at Options > Advanced then close CCleaner.This file will be created in C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder.)

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

CCleaner version ?

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Thanks for the information that going back to CCleaner version 2.04.543 cleared up this problem.

Thanks,

Edited by davey

I'm getting the same MS Word problem as Facedown98 with the current version of CCleaner.

When I run CCleaner my recent MS Word documents are listed to be cleaned. After I clean them they no longer appear in My Recent Documents, but when I go back into MS Word they are listed under the Open heading on the right of the screen, and also in the File dropdown list. Previously they would not have appeared in either of these places.

I have tried all the suggestions posted for this topic, to no avail.

There appears to be no similar problem with cleaning Excel spreadsheets.

Question 1: Even though My Recent Documents is cleared, is it possible that MS Word picks up these documents from some other file or folder?

Question 2: Is it possible to download a previous version of CCleaner to check if it's the current version that's causing this problem?

FYI: O/S is XP Home Edition SP2.

Hi JohnG,

Yes it is possible to download prior versions of CCleaner at Filehippo.com

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/3708/

Click on the prior version on the right side then click on Download this version at the top of the list.

Read the post right prior to this one.

We need your help also.

The following info will help others to possibly come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Just fill in the answers next to or below the questions?

Provide a list of your CCleaner.ini file.( Tick option for Save settings to INI file at Options > Advanced then close CCleaner.This file will be created in C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder.)

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

CCleaner version ?

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

What did you do and then what happened?

Thanks and best wishes,

Thanks for your time, and please keep me updated ;)

Hi Facedown,

Have you read all the new posts since we last talked?

It looks like we have more information to help in this situation.

If you would like to use an earlier version use this link.I only recommend this in your situation.

Other users who are not having this problem will better off to use the latest version.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/3708/

If you can provide some more input, please do.

Davey,

I am experiencing the same problem as well. My recent items are not being cleared when I run the latest version of CCleaner, however, they were being cleared before I updated to the new version.

Are you running with Administrator privileges: Yes

Configuration Settings:

[Options]

(App)Autocomplete Form History=False

(App)Other Explorer MRUs=True

(App)Recent Documents=True

(App)Run (in Start Menu)=True

(App)Search Assistant Autocomplete=True

AutoClose=0

BackupDir=C:\Users\Kyle\Documents

DelayTemp=0

Language=1033

MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False

MinimizeSystemTray=0

UpdateCheck=1

UpdateKey=05/20/2008 05:41:06 PM

WINDOW_HEIGHT=1036

WINDOW_LEFT=0

WINDOW_MAX=1

WINDOW_TOP=0

WINDOW_WIDTH=1680

CCleaner version: 2.07.575

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ? Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit

Browsers and ver.? Internet Explorer 7

Security software and ver? AVG Free 7.5.524, Spybot SD 1.5.2.20

What did you do and then what happened? Tried checking and unchecking "Windows Explorer/Recent Documents". Either way, recent items in start menu are not deleted.

Best,

kburcher

Davey,

Best,

kburcher

Hello Kyle,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You have restored my faith in mankind.

I am a member just like you are.I try to get as much information from you as I can get.

This helps the "BUG FIXERS" track down problems easier.

I thought I was never going to get anyone to answer these simple questions to help track down and fix this problem.It does seem to be a pretty simple problem but even then the information that members do provide sometimes results in an instant resolution or workaround.

Are you experiencing the same problems as reported in Post #16

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=103633

If you are then you may have to revert to version 2.05 or 2.04 to get things working the way you are used to with MS Word.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/3827/ CCleaner v 2.05

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/3708/ CCleaner v 2.04

If it is just a matter of Recent Documents not being cleaned then you will have to do it manually until the "BUG FIXERS" get the problem resolved.

Since you are also using Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit are you getting satisfactory results with CCleaner other than this problem?

Again thanks for your report,

New Users CCleaner Advice

P.S. Here is a little tip for you.

After you have selected all your normal settings for options and cookies and such in CCleaner.

Now TOGGLE every option there is in CCleaner. OFF,ON,OFF. OR ON,OFF,ON.This includes Registry cleaning options and all options in the Options feature.

Now EXIT CCleaner.

Now look in the CCleaner.ini file(C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder) and you should find a nice sorted list of all your settings including Cookies to keep,Include data, and Exclude data.

Copy this CCleaner.ini file to My Documents.You can create "special cleaning" CCleaner.ini files and also save them in My Documents.

All you have to do is copy the saved .ini file into the CCleaner folder to run any cleaning job.

If you get the Registry messed up or uninstall CCleaner for some reason,you will still have all your settings saved in My Documents to be used later.

You can even come back to your post and edit it and delete the prior list and put in the new one.This way we can also see what Applications settings you are using.You can XXXX out any personal data.

Edited by davey

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a first-time poster but long time user. I've had this problem since two versions ago (I now have the latest: 2.09.600).

[Options]

(App)Mozilla - Saved Form Information=False

BackupDir=C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-C15E0C8280\Desktop

Language=1033

MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False

SecureDeleteMethod=1

SecureDeleteType=1

UpdateKey=07/04/2008 04:17:45 PM

WINDOW_HEIGHT=878

WINDOW_LEFT=0

WINDOW_MAX=1

WINDOW_TOP=0

WINDOW_WIDTH=1448

(App)Start Menu Shortcuts=False

(App)Desktop Shortcuts=False

Are you running with Administrator privileges. [YES]

CCleaner version ? [2.09.600; happened also with previous two versions]

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ? [XP Media Center Home Edition; SP2]

Browsers and ver.? [Firefox 3.0; IE 7.0]

Security software and ver? [Avast! 4.8; SpywareBlaster 4.1; Ad-Aware 2008 7.1.0.10]

Other data you think might be relevant? [unsure]

What did you do and then what happened? [used CCleaner, opened Word and noticed that the recent documents were still there.]

Sincerely,

FoS

Hi, I'm a first-time poster but long time user. I've had this problem since two versions ago (I now have the latest: 2.09.600).

[Options]

(App)Mozilla - Saved Form Information=False

BackupDir=C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-C15E0C8280\Desktop

Language=1033

MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False

SecureDeleteMethod=1

SecureDeleteType=1

UpdateKey=07/04/2008 04:17:45 PM

WINDOW_HEIGHT=878

WINDOW_LEFT=0

WINDOW_MAX=1

WINDOW_TOP=0

WINDOW_WIDTH=1448

(App)Start Menu Shortcuts=False

(App)Desktop Shortcuts=False

Are you running with Administrator privileges. [YES]

CCleaner version ? [2.09.600; happened also with previous two versions]

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ? [XP Media Center Home Edition; SP2]

Browsers and ver.? [Firefox 3.0; IE 7.0]

Security software and ver? [Avast! 4.8; SpywareBlaster 4.1; Ad-Aware 2008 7.1.0.10]

Other data you think might be relevant? [unsure]

What did you do and then what happened? [used CCleaner, opened Word and noticed that the recent documents were still there.]

Sincerely,

FoS

Hello Stones,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks for registering as a member.You are definitely my kind of member.

You have been reading the forums and you answered all the necessary questions.

Other users have reported similarly.I think they(Piriform) have changed or removed some of the cleaning entries for Word.

Many new users were unaware that these areas would be cleaned automatically.

This is just my conclusion not re-affirmed by any official development team members.

Hopefully I can find out some answers for you or someone else can also offer their input."Bug Fixers" will also use this info.

You may have to use some Include entries or some winapp2.ini file entries to clean these areas.

See ya later.

:) davey Another member like you.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

• 3 months later...
Hello Stones,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks for registering as a member.You are definitely my kind of member.

You have been reading the forums and you answered all the necessary questions.

Other users have reported similarly.I think they(Piriform) have changed or removed some of the cleaning entries for Word.

Many new users were unaware that these areas would be cleaned automatically.

This is just my conclusion not re-affirmed by any official development team members.

Hopefully I can find out some answers for you or someone else can also offer their input."Bug Fixers" will also use this info.

You may have to use some Include entries or some winapp2.ini file entries to clean these areas.

See ya later.

:) davey Another member like you.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

Hi,

I just downloaded v. 720 and noticed that the problem is not fixed. What is the status of this issue? I hope the issue can eventually be resolved.

How do I use the Include entries or winapp2.ini file entries you mentioned?

FoS