ME to XP questions

Coronagold

Okay, I'm about 8 years late in asking this but I might as well ask now.

My pooter is a Hewlett Packard Pavillion 9895 desktop. I bought it in 99 or 2000. It came with WindowsME. (Don't spit soda on your monitor.) When I first got it up & running it came installed with MS Money, MS Word, & MS Works, Encarta, not the full versions. I didn't need that junk. I tried uninstalling them (normal Add/Remove function) and my pooter died. I had to reformat.

Of course I got XP when it came out. I did what I thought was a clean install, but now I'm pretty sure it never was a clean install because I needed to use the Hewlett Packard disks first before I put in the XP disk. Anyway, the same MS programs are still in there but not useable. They just don't work and I couldn't care less about using them. But I'm a-scared to remove them. I know Revo would do the job.

Can I remove them? Maybe?

----------

Another thing...

When I did have ME, defrag would take about 5 to 10 minutes. Ever since I got XP, no matter which defragger I use (I tried them all, believe me) it has to be an overnight job because it takes about 8 hours, easy. I remember years ago someone telling me that maybe the hardware, motherboard, whatever was set to be used by ME and it might not recognize XP in that area. Oooookaaaaaaay....

Anybody have any ideas about that?

Okay, I'm about 8 years late in asking this but I might as well ask now.

My pooter is a Hewlett Packard Pavillion 9895 desktop. I bought it in 99 or 2000. It came with WindowsME. (Don't spit soda on your monitor.) When I first got it up & running it came installed with MS Money, MS Word, & MS Works, Encarta, not the full versions. I didn't need that junk. I tried uninstalling them (normal Add/Remove function) and my pooter died. I had to reformat.

Of course I got XP when it came out. I did what I thought was a clean install, but now I'm pretty sure it never was a clean install because I needed to use the Hewlett Packard disks first before I put in the XP disk. Anyway, the same MS programs are still in there but not useable. They just don't work and I couldn't care less about using them. But I'm a-scared to remove them. I know Revo would do the job.

Can I remove them? Maybe?

----------

Another thing...

When I did have ME, defrag would take about 5 to 10 minutes. Ever since I got XP, no matter which defragger I use (I tried them all, believe me) it has to be an overnight job because it takes about 8 hours, easy. I remember years ago someone telling me that maybe the hardware, motherboard, whatever was set to be used by ME and it might not recognize XP in that area. Oooookaaaaaaay....

Anybody have any ideas about that?

If it was me I do it right, # 1 dban boot & Nuke format to new http://dban.org & it free then 1 hour later you be back on the net,defrag 10 minutes is ok you can try in safe mode see if help.PS allso do check disk fist.

I got Win 95 & Win 3.1 game to work on NTFS File system ok most game not work some do.

May be you did a up date with the disk & ME will be back up? have a look it best to go to new.

• Moderators
Ever since I got XP, no matter which defragger I use (I tried them all, believe me) it has to be an overnight job because it takes about 8 hours, easy.

I don't know if the hard disk file system would have anything to do with a lengthy defrag or not. With that in mind some PC manufacturers OEM install CDs format the hard disk using FAT32 for "compatibility with old programs." Windows has the ability built-in to convert the hard disks to the preferred NTFS.

• 2 weeks later...
I even had partitioned my drive so it would be WinME Fat 32 / WinXP Fat 32 / WinXP NTFS. All defragmentations ran slow in each partition.

I'm no partition wizard but I know some one out there is.

Maybe a good defrag expert could help also.

I am interested in the answer also.

Didn't want this topic to melt away.

Thanks,

:) davey

Running any FAT32 partition will slow you down.

FAT32 is like 10 years old and in computer years thats about when the Dinosaurs ruled the Earth.

File Allocation Table or FAT is a computer file system originally developed by Bill Gates and Marc McDonald in 1976/1977. [1] [2] It is the primary file system for various operating systems including DR-DOS, OpenDOS, freeDOS, MS-DOS, OS/2(v1.1), and Microsoft Windows (up to Windows Me). For floppy disks (FAT12 and FAT16 without long filename support) has been standardized as ECMA-107[3] and ISO/IEC 9293[4][5]. The use of long filenames with FAT is patented in part.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

NTFS is inherently faster and does not need defragging too often:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user