CCleaner is good but

Humpty

After running CCleaner I run System Mechanic to find junk files.SM finds up to an extra 4.5 meg of extra junk to delete so what is CCleaner missing as I prefer CC for it's speed.

And maybe CC could wipe most of the dbx files,selectable, just by automated deletion of such as outlook will create new ones at startup.

• Moderators
System Mechanic isn't the best software.

I completely agree, however I'll go one step further and say it's an expensive and dangerous POS! About three years ago I tried it on my old Win98 system and was shocked that it reduced the registry from approximately 6 MB to 1.5 MB, it literally killed the registry. Good thing for MS-DOS and being able to restore a registry backup.

regedit.exe can do that too [but regedit.exe nor System Mechanic is actually causing the problem; it's just bringing it to your attention]. If your registry contains binary mayhem (garbage characters where they shouldn't be), even regedit.exe will truncate it to 1 MB or less. I've had this happen right before my eyes. :)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I'd have to agree with the objections made here concerning System Mechanic. I was glad that I had a clean clone available on another box to restore the partition it damaged when I tried the evaluation version. I've not had any difficulty whatsoever in that way with CCleaner.

jlowell