Is this a good alternative to viewing Quicktime files?

Icedrake

• Moderators

http://www.videolan.org/doc/play-howto/en/ch04.html

It supposedly can be done in firefox. The above link has instructions but I've never tried it.(if you do, let me know if it works. :P)

Quicktime alternative with Media Player Classic can play embedded videos in any browser though. I rarely watch videos in my browsers anymore.

Well, I just uninstalled Quicktime, because I almost never watch any Quicktime videos anyway. Quicktime is also kinda bloated. Thanks for the help Rridgely! ^_^

P.S. Just tried viewing a Quicktime video and it didn't work. So I'm going for Quicktime Alternative.

I've decided install your suggestion Andavari, but I have a little problem. Which options should I check on the Install Componets list and which ones should I uncheck?

Nvm, I just installed the codec pack and tried viewing a Quicktime file online in Firefox. Firefox said "Additional plugins are needed view all files on this page" What should I do?

Ok, if those codec stuff is actually illegal, K-Lite Mega Codec Pack is going out my door.

I reinstalled VLC and it's letting me watch Quicktime videos online now. Thanks for the help everyone!

Woah, I'm getting dizzy reading this. :blink:

I use K-Lite codecs, set to Windows Media Player being the 'default' instead of Classic Media Player. I still have WMP, QuickTime, and WinAmp installed. Those 3 are fine. 5 years ago I wouldv'e been tempted to install Real Alternative but I'm not sure it even existed then. Real Player was like the codec hog of choice back then by a lot of big media hosts. (Kinda sweet to see it die off now. mwaahahahahaaaaa.)

Any media that uses a codec that's not available to my 3 normal updated media apps and all those extra K-Lite codecs, well, they can bite my big shiny metal... I'm not gonna bother with them. (Hey comon', I'm old. I have the right to be cranky.) They can keep their DivX and xVid and all that other pr0n junk.

(Oh good, this isn't the hjt forum. I can actually post this! :lol: )

• Moderators

Most videos on the net now just use flash. Either from youtube or some other site like it.

On the one hand its good because you dont have to bother with other programs besides a small flash download but on the other the videos are super compressed and look like crap.

And you're worried about compression because why? :huh: Cheap videos are what they are because of the phone market. And what advance in tech did they have. Not much. But if video compression is on the top of your complaint list, you're lucky. And that's a good thing. ;)

Marge Simpson - "Now let's all have a big bowl of strawberry ice cream!"

• Moderators
And you're worried about compression because why?

I'm not watching stuff people shot with their cell phones. If you go on youtube you can find all kinds of real content(stuff like concerts, interviews, tv/news sections, ect).

Its nice to be able to watch stuff full screen without little artifacts everywhere or it being too blurry that you cant even make out what it is.

• Moderators
How do you think VLC compares with Media Player Classic?

Their about the same as far as usage goes. I've never had any problems with either to be honest, they both play everything I ever watch flawlessly.(the older versions of VLC used to be kinda bad but its MUCH better now).

The pro to vlc is that it doesn't need codec packs which some people claim cause registry problems(never had that happen). However VLC doesn't play videos inside a web browser(or not easily) where as MPC does without any tweaking. Depends on how you watch videos I guess. I mostly watch stuff from revision3 or other videocasts and just download the high quality quicktime files.

• Moderators
Are you sure? I'm almost positive that they were pressed by apple to remove the quicktime part of their program. I have version 1.62 installed on one computer so I haven't tried the newer versions. :P

The last time I played a QuickTime .MOV file (a music video) from a recording label website it played it, and this was after they supposedly removed support for it.

About the legality of KLMPC I don't know because there's hordes of download sites that host it, and I'm not going to get into a debate of rather it's illegal or not.

I've tried VLC a couple of times and I've removed it shortly afterwards. If using the actual Apple QuickTime Player is the only legal way to play things like .MOV files, I'd gladly do without being able to play them because it's a bloated pos.

• Moderators

Some of his points are correct, and others are off. And for the most part it doesn't help when legitimate download sites have it available and list it as freeware, so how is the general public going to know it's illegal to download and use it.

I'd personally like to find something different and may try out that ffdshow because I'm actually tired of KLMPC with all the stuff it installs. And for the fact that installing anything from official sources like DivX (whom have a rather slick looking player), or Apple QuickTime will result into one big jumbled mess forcing uninstallations and reinstallations, and for the fact it's updated far too often.

• Moderators
Does it allow you to use DivX Web Player without the DivX Codec installed?

According to the features page, DivX 4/5/6 are covered, as is Xvid and AVI.

Whenever I play any DivX movies in it, including part downloaded files, they load so quickly I'm reasonably sure that the DivX codec hasn't had time to be accessed, and the DivX icon doesn't appear in the system tray, so it's probably playing them with it's built in codecs.

Can't be more definitive than that, without uninstalling my DivX codec.

EDIT: Damn, I've just realised I've answered a question you didn't ask. :wacko:

To the question you did ask, I've no idea, yet.