Defragging Freespace Creates Fragments

Bulwark

What gives? I was defragging yesterday, and had to stop in the middle of "Defragging Freespace" whatever that means. Before restarting, I ran the Analysis feature, getting a list of all fragmented files. Lo and behold! Several files were listed as fragmented, all beginning with "Audacity...." What the hell? I've never accessed those files, to my knowlege. Why have they been fragmented? If they truly needed to be moved, and I say IF, why weren't they moved as a whole? I certainly think Defraggler should not create more work for itself.

As an aside: does Defraggler allow multiple instances to run? Self-defeating, again.... ;)

Why would it allow multiple instances?

If you want to defrag your whole drive all at once I'd suggest use Windows Defrag until Defraggler is out of beta. Defraggler works perfect if you defrag only certain files (such as the My Music folder, newly installed programs/games, etc).

Just give it time.

What gives? I was defragging yesterday, and had to stop in the middle of "Defragging Freespace" whatever that means. Before restarting, I ran the Analysis feature, getting a list of all fragmented files. Lo and behold! Several files were listed as fragmented, all beginning with "Audacity...." What the hell? I've never accessed those files, to my knowlege. Why have they been fragmented? If they truly needed to be moved, and I say IF, why weren't they moved as a whole? I certainly think Defraggler should not create more work for itself.

As an aside: does Defraggler allow multiple instances to run? Self-defeating, again.... ;)

Hi Bulwark,

You will find that fragmenting is a normal outcome of "defragging freespace".

No need going into details but all "optimizing" defraggers do it.

:) davey