Anyone have an idea of how to 100% remove Microsoft Messenger?

Icedrake

I have Messenger and it's not on my uninstall list so I don't know how to unistall it. There's also a folder in my Program Files called Messenger. I don't use Messenger and I don't want it on my computer and I was wondering if anyone knew how to 100% remove Messenger from your computer.

• Moderators

Capman, please look at Icedrake's post count, the last couple of days have seen a marked increase as he tries to reach 100 posts.

I am sure with the skills he obviously possesses he was more than capable of finding it out himself or at least making an attempt and posting if he ran into a problem with it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Capman, please look at Icedrake's post count, the last couple of days have seen a marked increase as he tries to reach 100 posts.

I am sure with the skills he obviously possesses he was more than capable of finding it out himself or at least making an attempt and posting if he ran into a problem with it.

Actually Hazelnut, I did try removing Messenger, but I ended screwing up my computer, by following instructions on the internet. Thats when I decided to post here. :mellow:

I think you may be able to remove messenger? :unsure:

Doug Knox - Remove Messenger

I think this is another "disable & hide" method. Notice that the last instruction is to create a registry entry "... Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger ... set the value to 2."

EDIT: I did a little research and the method suggested in the article seems to be intended for XP without SP1. It seems to do what XP with SP1 does through the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components ... which I was under the impression only disabled and hid stuff like Windows Messenger, Outlook Express, etc.

• Moderators
I think this is another "disable & hide" method. Notice that the last instruction is to create a registry entry "... Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger ... set the value to 2."

EDIT: I did a little research and the method suggested in the article seems to be intended for XP without SP1. It seems to do what XP with SP1 does through the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components ... which I was under the impression only disabled and hid stuff like Windows Messenger, Outlook Express, etc.

It can be completely removed, and it's rather simple and Windows/Microsoft Update will confirm it because it will all of a sudden want to install it again:

1. Uninstall Windows Messenger:

2. Click Start > Run > and type in (copy and paste the below line):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

3. Restart Windows.

Please note, this completely uninstalls Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger. If you want Messenger back download it from Microsoft Update at: http://update.microsoft.com