any win98SE compatibility?

edclombe

Though in the features it wasn't described as win98se compatible, on another site, I saw it was, so I downloaded it, installed it perfectly.

But, whenever I try to run it I get this message (I'll traduce from french):

defraggler.exe is linked to a missing exportation: Kernel32.dll SetFilePointerEx.

Can it work on win98SE, or will it work someday?

I really would like to use it.

Anyway, thank you for bringing us those good and useful software :)

Though in the features it wasn't described as win98se compatible, on another site, I saw it was, so I downloaded it, installed it perfectly.

But, whenever I try to run it I get this message (I'll traduce from french):

defraggler.exe is linked to a missing exportation: Kernel32.dll SetFilePointerEx.

Can it work on win98SE, or will it work someday?

I really would like to use it.

Anyway, thank you for bringing us those good and useful software :)

As far as i understand all NT defragmenters they rely on API only found on NT systems, meaning these will only work on Win2k/XP/Vista/2003...

My webpage and blog: www.rejzor.tk

Welcome to Piriform edclombe.

I've asked this question before and no they aren't making a Win98SE version. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to XP or Vista.

I bought WinXP 2002 3 years ago, installed it tried it out for a week, didn't like it so Win98SE went back.

Last year I decided that XP would have to go back and for me to get used to it. I tried to install it again but it kept on crashing with the blue screen of death while it was trying to load the basic files before installation. I mean it installed perfectly 3 years ago and nothing has changed on my computer. Microsoft are no help what so ever with this problem.

As for Vista, I tried it out on a friends computer last week. I didn't like how this works, so to me Vista is a load of s***. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Last year I decided that XP would have to go back and for me to get used to it. I tried to install it again but it kept on crashing with the blue screen of death while it was trying to load the basic files before installation. I mean it installed perfectly 3 years ago and nothing has changed on my computer. Microsoft are no help what so ever with this problem.

This could be down to a few simple reasons.

1, Your installation CD has become badly damaged during those 3 years. (Highly unlikely though)

2, Your CD drive has become lazy. (This has been the case for me numerous times when installing operating systems, I use a different drive to get the OS installed then leave the bad one in as it will probably be ok for everything else)

3, One of your memory sticks has turned bad over the last 3 years. (This has been a common problem for me lately, I remove the offending stick during the install then put it back in afterwards)

This could be down to a few simple reasons.

1, Your installation CD has become badly damaged during those 3 years. (Highly unlikely though)

2, Your CD drive has become lazy. (This has been the case for me numerous times when installing operating systems, I use a different drive to get the OS installed then leave the bad one in as it will probably be ok for everything else)

3, One of your memory sticks has turned bad over the last 3 years. (This has been a common problem for me lately, I remove the offending stick during the install then put it back in afterwards)

1. The CD isn't damaged in any way I've only used it half a dozen times and I'm very particular how I handle CD's.

2. I have two CD roms and it doesn't install of either.

3. I had 256Mb of memory. I replaced those with two more 256Mb sticks to 500Mb thinking it could be a memory problem but that made no difference. ;)

I've posted this problem on other Windows problem forums but no one can give me an answer.

Microsoft are a waste of time. To report a problem with WinXP you have to have XP installed so you can quote the installation number.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I don't know if it's Microsoft's fault. Everyone is always quick to place the blame on them. I've never had a problem with XP during installation, and if I've had a problem with it in general I could fix it in 5 seconds with a virus scanner or a quick google search. There is something wrong with your computer maybe a bios problem or something else with the disc drives you aren't aware of (something internal indirectly or directly related to the IDE/SATA system you might have.

Vista was just fine for me, it just felt bloated and games didn't run as good as they did in XP. Seemed to hog more resources as well. Plus getting used to a new operating system is something not many people have the time for anymore. I eventually reinstalled XP because I game quite often and I didn't feel like re-learning my computer once again. I'll reinstall it eventually but I'm going to wait until SP1's issues (if there are any) our fleshed out and till I get anouther GB of ram.

Also something to look to regarding Vista is this guy who owns the TweakGuides website. He did a good performance report before/after he used various tweaks (removing stuff that is highly unneccessary and just general optimizations in Vista) and it's quite positive. There are many people on the forums who, after using his guide here have reported significant performance increase.

But I don't care what OS you use. I'm mainly saying that you can't expect programmers to waste time for the 3% (I'm being very very very generous here) of people who don't use at least Windows 2000/XP/Vista. All the programs that work only on those OS's are worth the upgrade alone, in my opinion.

I bought WinXP 2002 3 years ago, installed it tried it out for a week, didn't like it so Win98SE went back.

As for Vista, I tried it out on a friends computer last week. I didn't like how this works, so to me Vista is a load of s***. ;)

Hi Keith,

I agree with BEN.

Either you are going to have become a PC hardware "techie" or get a newer model PC.

As far as getting help from MS,there is an unbelievable amount of help available but it is all online.

Plus you've got to find the right forums.

You will get a lot more personal help from the computer manufacturer if it is a later model.

Neither Windows XP or Vista is a load of s*** when you have the proper hardware to support it.

Give that old PC and Win98SE to a kid who really needs it and wants to learn PCs from the ground up.

They will never forget it.One way or another but I think more on the positive side.It could change their whole direction in life.

Good luck either way on your upgrades,

:) davey

P.S. Regardless what others say,I have received excellent support from Dell for their computers

1 1/2 yrs old up to 4 yrs old.

Hi davey.

As far as getting help from MS,there is an unbelievable amount of help available but it is all online.

What I'm saying is it installed without any problems 3 years ago. Nothing as changed hardware wise since then so why won't it install again?

I've tried to get help from here but it asks for the WinXP product indentification number which I don't have because it won't install.

Yes I know I need a new computer but I want to overcome the problems with WinXP first. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best