Suggestion: Clear All Events!

roblang

When you right-click the "My Computer" icon and select "Manage", you'll get the "Computer Management" window, where you can see all the interesting stuff (among alia - Device Manager, Services, ...) and there's also the "Event Viewer" that shows EVERYTHING your computer has done (like a journal):

Time you logged on

Time you logged off

Time your computer generated error of some sort

Time when your software didn't like something ("warnings")

Time when you got yourself a cop of tea... (just kidding here, but you get the point)

One can simply right-click any of the Events' folder, and select "Clear All Events", but I thought it would be nice to include it to the allmighy CCleaner ;)

What'd you think?

Thanks!

Definitely cool, but if it gets added, I'd like to throw my two cents in that the option should not be enabled by default.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Can a less of a noob then me look at this and see why it is not working

****DO NOT USE NOT FINISHED****

[Event Log]

LangSecRef=3025

Detect=HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog

Default=False

FileKey1=%windir%\system32\config|*.evt

That's a bad idea. When you clear an event log it doesn't actually delete the file -- then event viewer is all like "ERROR, CANNOT FIND THE FILE".

If you look at [i.e., use notepad on] your *.evt after using (Start, Run...) `eventvwr` to clean them out, you'll notice they are 65,536 bytes and contain structural information.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators

It needs to clear the .Evt and not the .evt.

I have already done everything I can with the Events, nothing can be done. Them files are always in use, so you can't delete them even if you wanted to. And yes, it clears it, and doesn't actually delete the file.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

No problem but when you said "I have already done everything I can with the Events" in you previous post does that mean there is already a .ini entry to clean the event log?

Also did you delete my reply to you about why did you delete my spybot post? If so can i repost it but with the i?

I emailed a company who make Event Log Explorer about how we can clean the event log using CCleaner and this is the reply. Does this help because it does not mean nothing to me :D .

"Hello,

AFAIK CCleaner cannot clear event logs. There is no keys in the registry or

files that can be removed. If you try to tune up CCleaner to remove

some registry keys related to Event Logs, it may entail system fault

on next reboot.

The only way to clear logs is to call programmatically several Windows

API functions (Both our software and Event Viewer do exactly that)."

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

In each catagory of the event viewer, application, security, system and Internet Explorer, there is an option under "action" to clear all events yourself.

I like to have some logs to look back on, and would not like them done, say as a schedule, as the amount of info that can be gained from the logs about what causes certain error can be very, very helpful.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

In each catagory of the event viewer, application, security, system and Internet Explorer, there is an option under "action" to clear all events yourself.

I like to have some logs to look back on, and would not like them done, say as a schedule, as the amount of info that can be gained from the logs about what causes certain error can be very, very helpful.

Sorry for the stupid solution (LOL), but if someone doesn't like to have Windows Events

logged, what about disable events logging in Windows Services, instead to ask for CCleaner

to delete them?

:unsure:

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

The simplest method is for the dev team to add this functionality within the program rather than trying to fit a square plug in a round hole with the extensible ini's. IMHO this should be disabled by default for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Last post on this topic from me.

It looks like the file may be all right... it's just that since it can be used to do evil, it may be blocked as a Trojan when really it's not. Apparently virus makers can use the code to clear logs and do bad. As such, places like Symantec have pegged ClearLogs as possible malcode, when technically it may not be.

Just be careful.

Thanks.