Help with CCleaner..

musicmad

Hi

just installed CCleaner, read the help guide but still unsure what to do, when it gives me the option (recent documents & temporary files), i'm thinking its going to wipe out all my data, because in these folders i have important stuff. i just want to give my PC a good blitzin! right through, i know there are options but still unsure, can anyone help???

Thanks

Musicmad

Hi

just installed CCleaner, read the help guide but still unsure what to do, when it gives me the option (recent documents & temporary files), i'm thinking its going to wipe out all my data, because in these folders i have important stuff. i just want to give my PC a good blitzin! right through, i know there are options but still unsure, can anyone help???

Thanks

Musicmad

Hey musicmad

CCleaner will delete all the items from each section that is checked. (All the items that can be deleted of course). In the default installation, CCleaner will delete files in Windows Temp Folders that are more than 48 hours old. If you have files in certain sections that you don't want CCleaner to delete, just uncheck that section or go to Options -> Exclude and add the folders and files so CCleaner knows what not to delete.

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

System.out.println("Mwuhahahaha");

}

Hey musicmad

CCleaner will delete all the items from each section that is checked. (All the items that can be deleted of course). In the default installation, CCleaner will delete files in Windows Temp Folders that are more than 48 hours old. If you have files in certain sections that you don't want CCleaner to delete, just uncheck that section or go to Options -> Exclude and add the folders and files so CCleaner knows what not to delete.

Hi sockdown thanks for your feedback,

i've noticed on the applications tab with CCleaner, it gives you options with installed programmes, my being for example

Nero burning rom..

dvd shrink..

Window media player..

Norton anti virus.. etc..

Does this mean CCleaner will delete these programmes from the system or just cleane them???

• Moderators
Hi sockdown thanks for your feedback,

i've noticed on the applications tab with CCleaner, it gives you options with installed programmes, my being for example

Nero burning rom..

dvd shrink..

Window media player..

Norton anti virus.. etc..

Does this mean CCleaner will delete these programmes from the system or just cleane them???

Everything that's ticked in the Cleaner tab will be cleaned, unless you untick it. It does NOT uninstall your programs, it just removes things like the recent file list ("MRU"), etc.

Note that if you have Microsoft Office installed it will remove the settings in Word, meaning you'd have to reconfigure Word from scratch. Some people like that feature to cover their tracks, whilst other's hate it.

Everything that's ticked in the Cleaner tab will be cleaned, unless you untick it. It does NOT uninstall your programs, it just removes things like the recent file list ("MRU"), etc.

Note that if you have Microsoft Office installed it will remove the settings in Word, meaning you'd have to reconfigure Word from scratch. Some people like that feature to cover their tracks, whilst other's hate it.

Hi Andavari,

i do appreciate your help in replying to my post and even though the help guide explaines the basics, i am still unsure if to hit run cleaner on certain sections. For example:

Last download location...what is it??

Delete index.dat files... what are they??

Recent documents... what are they??

Windows log files... what are they??

Run in start menu... what is it??

In selecting these options, what would be the result??? Sorry! i'm pretty new to the computers.

Thanks

Musicmad

Hi Andavari,

i do appreciate your help in replying to my post and even though the help guide explaines the basics, i am still unsure if to hit run cleaner on certain sections. For example:

Last download location...what is it??

Delete index.dat files... what are they??

Recent documents... what are they??

Windows log files... what are they??

Run in start menu... what is it??

In selecting these options, what would be the result??? Sorry! i'm pretty new to the computers.

Thanks

Musicmad

You can do a Google search about those items/locations. For example, CCleaner will clear the Recent Documents list that is on the the Start -> My Recent Documents (Win XP). It will clear that list. On Win XP, that folder is located -> C:\Documents and Settings\User\Recent.

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

}

You can do a Google search about those items/locations. For example, CCleaner will clear the Recent Documents list that is on the the Start -> My Recent Documents (Win XP). It will clear that list. On Win XP, that folder is located -> C:\Documents and Settings\User\Recent.

didn't really help much, never mind, i will search on othere forums for the answers

Thank you! all for your help anyway..

Musicmad

didn't really help much, never mind, i will search on othere forums for the answers

Musicmad

Musicmad

I can't really write an answer for each question you asked. I gave you a tip about what CCleaner does which the My Recent Documents. If you do a search about Index.dat, you might find something like this: Index.dat. I did a search and the first link was that one. Another link about Index.dat which was the second one, here. The sames applies to the other questions. I'm sorry, but, it's something you can find easily doing a search with google. Another one, Start Menu. As for CCleaner, it will clean all those areas by: Clearing the Recent Documents list, Deleting Index.dat files on reboot, etc...A little about CCleaner features can be found here. Also, you can do individual searches on this forum for previous posts about specific items. Hope this helps.

-Sockdown-

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

}

Musicmad

Musicmad

I can't really write an answer for each question you asked. I gave you a tip about what CCleaner does witch the My Recent Documents. If you do a search about Index.dat, you might find something like this: Index.dat. I did a search and the first link was that one. Another link about Index.dat which was the second one, here. The sames applies to the other questions. I'm sorry, but, it's something you can find easily doing a search with google. Another one, Start Menu. As for CCleaner, it will clean all those areas by: Clearing the Recent Documents list, Deleting Index.dat files on reboot, etc...A little about CCleaner features can be found here. Also, you can do individual searches on this forum for previous posts about specific items. Hope this helps.

-Sockdown-

Thank you sockdown, i appreciate your help...

Cheers

Musicmad

Musicmad

Forgot about this one. Thanks to davey for the link on the "emptying the recycle bin" topic. There's an updated Beginners Guide here. On the 4th node, where it says: "CCleaner Information", there's a detailed description to the other questions you asked. :D

public void dammit() {

damn.cmon(forYou);

damn.delete(You);

}

Musicmad

Forgot about this one. Thanks to davey for the link on the "emptying the recycle bin" topic. There's an updated Beginners Guide here. On the 4th node, where it says: "CCleaner Information", there's a detailed description to the other questions you asked. :D

Thanks to davey, and to everyone! else, appreciated.

Cheers

Musicmad