PC Won't Boot

krit86lr

Hey All,

The strangest thing happened to me today. I wanted to test an old Linksys external wireless adapter, and hooked it up to my pc. I installed the driver then when it connected to the network my pc froze...task manager wouldn't even pop up so I shut the pc down using the power button. I waiting 20 seconds and turned it back on, and the same thing happened so I shut it down again via the power button. Now it won't boot at all! It starts up, but I can't even get to the bios.

Any thoughts? Maybe flash the bios? :blink: So strange.

Thanks,

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

The only time I've ever had a serious problem (bsod) was after installing a new hp driver. Apparently a very common cause of this type of problem when you google.

The only solution, which fixed it straight away, was to uninstall the driver via safe mode, but from what you say, I don't know if you can get to safe mode.

You've probably already thought of this, but I thought it worth a mention just in case.

Thanks, and that is a great idea. Do you know how I can get pass the bios into safe mode? When I power on the pc all that shows up is a screen that says "Intel Bios=F2". Yet when I press F2 nothing happens. :blink: So strange!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators
When I power on the pc all that shows up is a screen that says "Intel Bios=F2". Yet when I press F2 nothing happens. :blink: So strange!

It's beyond my expertise however it's sounds bad.

Maybe unplug your PC from the wall outlet for a few minutes, then while it's still unplugged hold down the Power On button for about 10-20 seconds to dissipate any electricity, of course this may not help at all.

I don't know if flashing the BIOS would work or not, so it's probably best to call your PC manufacturer's free tech support and look on Linksys' site for troubleshooting.

Never thought of calling Tech Support for my PC! LOL I always come here. :P I will definitely try that if some other suggestions don't work.

Thanks everyone. :)

Have you tried using your boot disk. If this does not help, open PC case and disconect the CMOS battery for a short period this will clear the Bios. refit the Cmos battery and the bios will load the standard settings.

This link may help

http://bios-repair.co.uk/bios/bsrecover.htm

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

The boot disks shouldn't work if I can't get pass the BIOS. And the battery is the 2nd thing on my list of things to try. I am going to try powering it on without the battery and no drives hooked up, if Andavari's suggestion doesn't do the trick.

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your help. :)

Have a Great Day!

There are jumpers on the motherboard that will allow you to reset the CMOS settings too. You might need the motherboard manual though to find out what position the jumper needs to be put in to allow the reset to take place.

I don't know how confident you feel doing that, however it might help....

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

There are jumpers on the motherboard that will allow you to reset the CMOS settings too. You might need the motherboard manual though to find out what position the jumper needs to be put in to allow the reset to take place.

I don't know how confident you feel doing that, however it might help....

I frequently reset CMOS settings to clear BIOS passwords ;), but the settings have nothing to do with this particular problem. Either the CMOS battery itself is dead & needs replacing, or the mobo died. Oh! And maybe a BIOS flash would help too.

I'm a worried that the mobo got fried because when I opened the case my wireless card looked like it had done a nose dive into it's slot, and it was difficult to remove. Not sure what happened there... :(

Working on a young lass's pc which had a very similar prob.

CPU Fan would only spin a bit then nothing.

Disconnected the power and held in the start button for 30 secs and still the same.

Went out just now and disconnected the power and held the power button on then reconnected the power with the power button held on.

Let out the power button and and repressed it and the damn thing booted.Go figure? :blink:

Have rebooted a couple of times and seems ok atm with some other probs that need attention such as the cd rom and floppy drive seemingly shot.

Will replace those parts, reinstall and just hope it keeps on going. :unsure:

try A Floppy or better 6pack from microsoft.com down load, take note of Windows ver & sp# it the one made for non boot cd rom you need 6 floppys right click the down load and it will make the boot floppys hope it set to boot from floppy you hear it if it all go.

Maybe unplug your PC from the wall outlet for a few minutes, then while it's still unplugged hold down the Power On button for about 10-20 seconds to dissipate any electricity

This did the trick! I held the power button for 30 seconds for extra luck. Now the PC is up and running great. :) Thanks again everyone.

Nice... I do hate sometimes how electronic devices can be so finicky sometimes.

AJ

Agreed! :) I think that I had a mild heart attack when my pc wouldn't turn on. :P

• Moderators
This did the trick! I held the power button for 30 seconds for extra luck. Now the PC is up and running great. :) Thanks again everyone.

I'm glad it worked!

I've noticed sometimes with computer and even home electronics if there's a power spike or drain the electronic devices have to be unplugged. I've had it happen to my printer, and even my TV set before.