Windos ME is a POS

corjello

It was a test to see how well the Windows 2000 kernel's underpinnings would work when combined with 9x's... basically it's Windows XP's great grandfather :P

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

They released it because they seriously thought it was a good product, and although it does have many advantages over Windows 98 SE, it was simply not tested well enough, and 3rd party software was not ready for the API switch at that time. Windows XP did a much better job at integrating the two kernels (9x + NT).

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

hmmm, you seem to know what your talking about. So 2000 didnt have 2 kernels? I just xp media center and cant decide if i like the simplicity of 2000 better. Though the features are very nice on xp.

• Moderators

I have had or used every OS up to XP. I like XP by far better than the others, never had 1 crash or error (caused by Windows that is...). Seems very stable.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

WinME didn't have two kernels either, it's just that it was the Windows 98 kernel with some Windows 2000 services and features; the basics of the Win2k kernel was integrated into WinME's kernel. All in all it turned out to be a disaster.

Windows 2000 used the NT kernel (NT 5.0).

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Wasn't it rushed out in 2000, just because it seemed to be the done thing to create something new in 2000 and be able to include Millenium in the title.

You should have seen all the businesses that started up in 2000 in London that included Millenium in the title.

Wasn't it rushed out in 2000, just because it seemed to be the done thing to create something new in 2000 and be able to include Millenium in the title.

You should have seen all the businesses that started up in 2000 in London that included Millenium in the title.

Shows how many are idiots. The new millennium didn't start until 2001.

Shows how many are idiots.  The new millennium didn't start until 2001.

That was always debatable wasn't it, all the millenium parties were December 31st 1999, as the following day was going to be the new millenium.

I know logically it was 2001, but unofficially it was 2000.

• Moderators

I've heard all sorts of nightmare stories about it, however one advantage it had over Win9x was System Restore. Another advantage was continued hardware support after most hardware devices no longer supported Win9x.

• Moderators
I've heard all sorts of nightmare stories about it, however one advantage it had over Win9x was System Restore.

Na, not really. It didn't even work, they made an update for it and it still didn't work. :mellow:

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I've heard all sorts of nightmare stories about it, however one advantage it had over Win9x was System Restore. Another advantage was continued hardware support after most hardware devices no longer supported Win9x.

Na, not really. It didn't even work, they made an update for it and it still didn't work. :mellow:

Yeah, System Restore was junk in ME. System Restore Remover Pro helped.

WinMe does have seriously expanded hardware support (think *double*), and *that* part of WinMe works excellently (it was borrowed from Win2k).

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips