Logging in as Admin

Corona

Bleghhh...

I'm helping my sis clean up her pooter. She's the Admin, and she has 3 other Users/Accounts on the machine. I used RegSeeker on hers & 2 other User accounts. It works except this one account, whenever I run it just to see all the items it can list, the program reaches 100% (as in, we're all done here) after a long time but it still keeps on going forever & ever listing new CLSIDs. Forever. Over 5000 entries and still it lists new ones like 3 per second. And that User is hardly ever on this machine.

I'm thinking maybe it's a virus that generates new CLSIDs whenever a program looks at one. I'm not sure. But I've never had RegSeeker keep running beyond 100% before.

Anyway, in order to run any other hard core programs I need to be an Admin. Fine, I have my sis's password. But how the heck do I log into another Users' Account as the Admin? I've never had to do it before. Anybody know? :huh:

Not at all sure. Have a look at the downloaded program files in that account. Are there thousands?

Can you browse the users' account from your sisters' admin account?

Have you tried running the CCleaner reg cleaner?

I don't know of any way to browse a User account from my sis's Admin account, nor how to log in as an Admin within the User account. That's what my main question leaned toward. I'm trying to install certain registry related apps within that User account. They won't install because it says "You are not an Admin". Of course not, it thinks I'm the User.

I used CCleaner (clean and registry) on all accounts. That's a big plus for CC, it's not obscenely picky like that.

But I need something more like a Brillo pad on this particular User account.

Here's some apps I've been trying to install in the User Account without success...

Revo Uninstaller

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner

Free Registry Defrag

Spybot Search and Destroy

SpyHunter (just to scan, I'm not gonna buy it) (matter of fact it seems any shareware/commercial reg cleaner won't clean unless you buy them.) (and even so, they won't install unless you're an Admin.)

RegSeeker, CCleaner, ERUNT and Adaware install & run fine.

Hi Corona.

I hope what I am about to type is along the lines of what you are looking for:

If you right click the icon of the program you are trying to install, there should be a "run as" command. If you select this option, it brings up a diaglog box with two options. The first to run it as the currently logged in use and the second to run it as another use.

If you choose the second option, it should default to COMPUTERNAME\ADMINISRATOR....then all you need to do is type in the Administrators password and it should work.

If neither you or your sister are sure of the Administrator accounts password, it can be reset, by doing the following:

Start ==> Run. In the dialog box type "control userpasswords2" (without inverted commas) then press enter. Click the account called administrator and click the reset password box. (You might need to do this whilst logged in as your sister, seeing as she has admin rights.

Another way to do it is to log in under your sisters admin account...right click on the my computer icon, select Manage. In the window that appears, click on Local Users and Groups the left hand pane, click the Users Folder, right click the users name and select properties. In the "Member Of" tab, add the user to the administrators group. I'm pretty sure this second way is only available under Win XP Pro and probably many of the more expensive versions of Vista.

I hope this helps

Stryker

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

I meant to say Corona, you can browse other users doucments and settings (assuming they are not set to private) by navigating to the following in Windows Explorer:

C:\Documents and Settings

This will list the user accounts registered on the PC and will give you access to their my documents folder as well as others. Some of the folders in here are hidden, so if you want to browse them, you will need to do the following:

In Windows Explorer go to the Tools Menu and Click Folder Options.

Click on the View Tab

Look down the list until you see an option called "Show hidden files and folders" Click this, then click "Ok" at the bottom.

Let me know if you have any problems

Stryker

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

If you right click the icon of the program you are trying to install, there should be a "run as" command. If you select this option, it brings up a diaglog box with two options. The first to run it as the currently logged in use and the second to run it as another use.

If you choose the second option, it should default to COMPUTERNAME\ADMINISRATOR....then all you need to do is type in the Administrators password and it should work.

I'm gonna give that a try when I get back to my sis's house tonight. Thanks! :)

That worked! I'll remember that.

But even after trying out those other apps on that User account it still refuses to do anything but spit out new CLSIDs. Gotta be a bug or worm or virus or summit.