Wireless problems

JK:D:D

I'm having a lot of problems with my laptop's wireless recently.

It's normally fine just running then after a while internet explorer can't seem to connect even though the wireless network is still connected. the only way i can get round this most times is to press the funciton button and F2 to disconnect it and then press function and F2 again to enable it and most times it connects.

anyway around this or is it my wireless card failing on me?

also i'm currently using a netgear router which has the username and password log in embedded in the hardware. if i wanted to switch routers back to my old one (belkin) how would i do that without my log in details?

thank you,

JK

Hi.

I'm going to provide you with a suggestion to the first part of your query, I'll see if I can come up with a solution to your router question, unless another forum members gets there first!

One of the first things I would try is to download the latest drivers for your wireless device. From your description, I am assuming its built into the laptop.

First of all check the Laptop Manufacturers website for any driver updates. If there is no driver available there, then find out the maufacturer of the actual wireless device and try to obtain an up to date driver from there.

I had a laptop that was in a similar position and downloading an up to date driver solved the problem for me....I hope it does the same for you.....

Stryker

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

Updating the drivers is a good suggestion and that worked in part for me when I had wireless connection problems.

The other thing I did was install Microsoft's update for wireless in XP, assuming you're running XP of course. After using it, I have never had any problem connecting to the wireless or the internet. Previously, once the connection was briefly lost, I couldn't get a squeak out of the wireless, even with the latest drivers.

Knowledge base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

Download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

This is going to be part of XP SP3 which should be released "fairly soon".

Have a read, see what you think, this may be something that will help but I'd try the driver update first and see if that improves it.

elyoh

This is going to be part of XP SP3 which should be released "fairly soon".

Have a read, see what you think, this may be something that will help but I'd try the driver update first and see if that improves it.

elyoh

There is the Release Candidate 2 version of SP3 available to download now, if you want to try that too....it can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Scroll down the page and you'll see the downloads available..... the file with ENU on the end is the English Version.

Stryker

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

• 4 months later...
There is the Release Candidate 2 version of SP3 available to download now, if you want to try that too....it can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Scroll down the page and you'll see the downloads available..... the file with ENU on the end is the English Version.

Stryker

Thanks guys! everyone!

sorry about this. For some reason I didn't get an email notification of a reply so i just thought it was ignored but apparently not.

Anyway I will be following all you have said but since i have a new laptop i'll have to move to that one because it's now a family laptop as opposed to the new one (i'm using) which is for music and recording.

Thanks won't be long!

JK

Hey everyone!

I just tried the links and i managed to download the plugin update but the second website (the one in my previous post's quote) doesn't work.

any help?

also my new laptop has a red light continuously lit (for the wireless) and it says my HP wlan is disabled. so now i have 2 problems.

THANKS

JK