Avast! 4.8

CeeCee

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-...on-history.html

-avast! now contains a built-in anti-rootkit protection

-avast! now comes with a built-in anti-spyware protection

-new self-defense function to prevent active malware from terminating avast! processes as well as corrupting avast! files and registry items

Way to go Avast! :rolleyes:

Edit: Found this message by Avast forum moderator, concerning anti-rootkit and spyware protection:

Yes, those features are integrated into the ordinary scan... so there are no special options (well, you can create a new anti-rootkit task in the Enhanced User Interface, if you have the Professional version, but basically you can say that avast! protects you against spyware and rootkits automatically).

• Moderators

I tried it and didnt notice any difference other than they are using an ugly yellow instead of the green color on the classic style menus. I'm glad they included the spyware stuff as just part of the av scan that way you dont have to run 2 scans. However I wish there was a way to run just a rootkit scan but there doesn't seem to be. (I could just be missing it though)

How's your full system scan time now them, has it increased, etc.

Don't know, havent tried yet.

---

rridgely: "...you can create a new anti-rootkit task in the Enhanced User Interface, if you have the Professional version..." Btw, they are going to release a stand-alone rootkit scanner soon.

That spyware protection works in real-time also.

So far I didn't notice any slowdowns with the new version. I still don't feel those new features, but I know they're active. Well I'll just say it works just the way it should.

Well I've switched over to Avast Home Edition today, can't beat all that protection in one program!

What were you using before, AVG? What is the memory use of Avast compared to AVG? How may processes running etc?

I ask because there was some concern the new AVG would be bloated but it seems people are happy with the new Avast and it now has the spyware and root kit protection that the new AVG will also have.

i am using AVG but after hearing this update i may switch back. is it all worth it? i use AVG Anti-Spyware and SUPERAnti-Spyware for scanning.

BIG fan of AVAST! since 2005

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators
What were you using before, AVG? What is the memory use of Avast compared to AVG? How may processes running etc?

I ask because there was some concern the new AVG would be bloated but it seems people are happy with the new Avast and it now has the spyware and root kit protection that the new AVG will also have.

Yes I was using AVG Free. Avast is using more memory because it has all those resident shields, but honestly my system runs slightly smoother with Avast installed.

I don't know what AVG Free will be like when they upgrade the version, however I will at the very least try it out. AVG is getting bigger just by comparing the setup exe file to Avast and AntiVir.

These are the processes, and their usage on my system:

avast48mem951.png

• Moderators

Thanks for the heads up CeeCee. After binning Norton quite some time ago, and a very short trial of Avira, I've stuck with Avast.

Runs smooth, and the definitions updates are almost daily, and always run problem free.

The additions make an already good AV that much better.

Yes I was using AVG Free. Avast is using more memory because it has all those resident shields, but honestly my system runs slightly smoother with Avast installed.

I don't know what AVG Free will be like when they upgrade the version, however I will at the very least try it out. AVG is getting bigger just by comparing the setup exe file to Avast and AntiVir.

These are the processes, and their usage on my system:

avast48mem951.png

Sounds like the updated version is working well. I hope AVG's update goes as well. Avast does seem to use quit a bit more RAM though.

2008-04-01_095120295.jpg

Avast does seem to use quit a bit more RAM though.

2008-04-01_095120295.jpg

The AVG scanning engine actually runs in the kernel (in the kernel-mode driver avgcore.sys) so you won't see its memory usage in the Task Manager.

Anyway, mem usage is not an (big) issue, if you have plenty of RAM.

Anyway, mem usage is not an (big) issue, if you have plenty of RAM.

Yeah I know it's just a number and I have plenty of RAM. The least I have is 1 gig on one of the machines. I have 1.5 and 2 gigs on the others.

I will stay with AVG for now. It has worked perfectly since I installed it on all the machines. Than I will check their update out and hopefully it goes well like Avast has. If not at least I know I have a good alternative in Avast.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Switched back to AVG. i was lagging a bit in C:SS and some other games as well.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Yeah I know it's just a number and I have plenty of RAM. The least I have is 1 gig on one of the machines. I have 1.5 and 2 gigs on the others.

I will stay with AVG for now. It has worked perfectly since I installed it on all the machines. Than I will check their update out and hopefully it goes well like Avast has. If not at least I know I have a good alternative in Avast.

I may have spoken too soon. I experienced some strange behaviour today from AVG. I hope it was fluke.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=15101

It will be interesting to see how the new edition fares in the next av-comparatives.org review.

Avast was always a step below Avira, NOD32 and Symantec. I really liked Avast when I had it installed (especially the bootscan) but it's malware scores weren't always the best. However, the Feb. 2008 results rate Avast Pro 4.7 highly:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_02.php.

• 1 month later...