***CRITICAL ERROR***

jon2

I believe there is a bug in the new CCleaner v.2.05.555.

An error occurred when I ran CCleaner via Recycle Bin's 'Run Cleaner' context menu.

It says:

"Critical Error

A critical error occurred in CCleaner, the application must now close.

Error Description:

CCleaner v2.05.555

MS Windows XP SP2

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 430 @ 1.73GHz

512MB RAM

VIA Chrome9 HC IGP Family

Application::Run"

The error menu also has a 'Restart CCleaner' tick box.

Tried reinstalling CCleaner, but error still occurs. Downloaded the setup file from Filehippo.

Please advise solution ASAP.

Davey, thanks for your concern.

I have downloaded the latest update from Filehippo.

But it seems the problem still recurrent. The error message still pops up when I run CCleaner via Recycle Bin.

The only change in the message is the version of CCleaner.

I'm a little disappointed since this bug would've been fixed if I reported it earlier before the update.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Oh, I almost forgot. There's another bug in CCleaner. In the previous version, when I run the program in the main user interface, it locks up and I have no other choice but to terminate the program via Task manager.

This is also present in the current version which I have recently installed. Please advise a solution ASAP. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, I almost forgot. There's another bug in CCleaner. In the previous version, when I run the program in the main user interface, it locks up and I have no other choice but to terminate the program via Task manager.

This is also present in the current version which I have recently installed. Please advise a solution ASAP. Thanks.

Hi again Jon,

Sorry ,I lost track of this thread.

Your problem is unique.

You may have to use the method of only using one or a few options at a time to determine where this problem is occurring.

If you find something,please report back and also answer the following questions.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Just fill in the answers next to the questions?

CCleaner version ?

OS and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Provide a list of your Windows tab.

Provide a list of your Applications tab.

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Thanks,

:) davey

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again Jon,

Sorry ,I lost track of this thread.

Your problem is unique.

Hi Davey,

I had exactly the same problem (sorry I posted a new thread on 6-April-2008) starting from version 2.04 i think. The same error msg appears:

Critical Error

A critical error has occured in CCleaner, the application must now close.

The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access

CCleaner v2.06.567

MS Windows XP SP2

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5470 @ 1.60GHz

2.0GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Problem is strangely, i can't replicate the problem with my other computers.

danielc

Hi Davey,

Problem is strangely, i can't replicate the problem with my other computers.

danielc

Hello Daniel,

You need to do what I suggested to Jon a few replies back.

You may have to use the method of only using one or a few options at a time to determine where this problem is occurring.

If you find something,please report back.

Thanks,

Critical Error

A critical error has occured in CCleaner, the application must now close.

The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access

I had the same "virtual address" warning when I ran CCleaner,

excepting it did NOT blame CCleaner but run.exe or some-such

I think it was blaming the Windows thing that launches a DOS thing that went where it didn't ought to!!

This happened with CCleaner v2.06.567.

I immediately reverted to v2.03.532 which never did me any harm before,

and after a reboot (incase Davey asks !!!) I got the same warning.

Before posting a bug report I thought about what I had done.

Using xplorer2 (much better than Windows Explorer with multiple tabs),

I was viewing the contents of a Firefox Cache,

then switched focus to CCleaner which upon command cleaned the aforesaid cache,

mean while xplorer2 was still trying to show the files within a folder that was no longer there.

I could be wrong, but I choose to believe that access to a folder is only appropriate whilst the folder exists,

and when the folder is deleted then access is no longer appropriate.

I also decided not to be so inquisitive, and to stop looking at folders that are about to be deleted.

I have not had this critical error since this decision.

Conclusions upon Critical Errors :-

In my case xplorer2 was looking at something when CCleaner took it away;

In other cases above, the victims may have been using something other than xplorer2, but same aggravation;

Who knows what Windows will do at the best of times,

and when it has a Critical Error it may be a matter of luck who or what it blames - anything but itself -

Windows 98 blamed me every morning for not shutting down properly, and every evening it would lock up and I HAD to pull the plug !!!

Possible solution :-

CCleaner might be able to refrain from erasing the cache when ANYTHING is looking at it,

but if so it MIGHT be appropriate for CCleaner to issue a warning to try again later,

or at least advise that the cache has not been cleaned, just as it refrains if Firefox is still active.

This specific solution applies to my specific "feature".

A more general solution is to refrain from deleting any folder or any file that might be of interest to anything,

but then how much cleaning would get done ?

When my mother decided to clean the carpets, it happened, and us kids had to get out of the way!!!

Questions :-

1) Can "Critical Errors" occur if CCleaner deletes other folders which are being viewed with other applications;

2) Sometimes when I use xplorer2 and deleted a file, Windows will not allow it because it is in use by something,

does CCleaner ignore any such access prohibition regardless, or does Windows allow the deletion because xplorer2 has failed to notify Windows that it is using the folder, and then after Windows has allowed the deletion this xplorer2 or whatever lodges a formal complaint that results in a "Critical Error";

3) Does it really matter ? Is Windows being paranoid (the one thing I agree with !!!)

I note that although it is a "Critical Error", it does not warrant a re-boot, it is just the termination of an application,

whilst the really vital and important files are protected and should have copies in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache, and if the needed copy does not exist then Windows starts demanding installation C.D.s etc.

I am skilled with real-time embedded software.

Windows programming is something different and I can pose questions but not answers.

I hope I have thrown useful light on the situation

Regards

Alan

• 2 months later...
Hello Daniel,

You need to do what I suggested to Jon a few replies back.

If you find something,please report back.

Thanks,

OK davey,

I unchecked everything and added the options one by one trying each new setting several times before moving on to add another. Finally, the program crashed when the "Run (in Start Menu)" option is checked. I have now tried using CCleaner without that option and it is behaving very well now for about a month.

I have updated to v.2.08.588 and it runs fine without the "Run (in Start Menu)" enabled but it still crashes when that option is checked. We can safely surmise that something there disagrees with my laptop's configuration. What now?

Hope we can nail this little bug now:)

Maybe you should provide a HijackThis log after following these directions:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=11000

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user