Firefox 2.0.0.13. Security & Stability update.

DennisD

• Moderators

That usually only happens if you try on the day of release.

I haven't updated firefox manually since 2.0 came out. Now I just wait for it to tell me it downloaded the update and should restart. :P No problems from that yet besides the normal firefox buginess. :D

• Moderators
Well I didn't know that, but I think I'll just stick to my usual clean install.

I usually prefer to do clean installs myself, except when the program has an internal automatic updater. That way I know the author has tested doing partial updates. :D

• Moderators

Logged off, tried the update again, and it worked this time. Took about 20 seconds.

The first time, the message was "problem with server, downloading the full package", which didn't fill me with joy, so I cancelled.

Anyways, it was quick and painless. :)

• Moderators

I noticed it on FileHippo and ended up manually running the integrated updater. I updated fine from what I can tell, however I still hold onto a previous versions installer just in case it gives me problems like before that almost made me do the unthinkable and switch over to IE7.

No. Firefox has never been the quickest browser to launch any ways. IE7 blows it out of the water in that department.

Especially as IE is an integral part of Windows.

IE7 with IE7Pro and its extensions is really good IMHO: B)

http://forum.ie7pro.com/viewtopic.php?id=2687

Firefox Myths:

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Especially as IE is an integral part of Windows.

IE7 with IE7Pro and its extensions is really good IMHO: B)

http://forum.ie7pro.com/viewtopic.php?id=2687

Firefox Myths:

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

About the article on Firefox myths. It says that all the myths are for a default install of Firefox with no extensions. I don't know anybody that runs Firefox that way. Why would they?

I definitely have! Perhaps it is one of my extensions not playing well with .13 but opening way slower here.

There are some things I'm not really liking about FF 2.0.0.13 as well as the previous version. If I download 2.0.0.12, can I just install it right over the top of 2.0.0.13 without having to uninstall first and then reinstalling?

About the article on Firefox myths. It says that all the myths are for a default install of Firefox with no extensions. I don't know anybody that runs Firefox that way. Why would they?

And also the fact that the article is 3 years old and some of the supposed myths he's made up are just laughable.

I definitely have! Perhaps it is one of my extensions not playing well with .13 but opening way slower here.

I don't know if this will work for you Slowday, but started FF in "Firefox Safe Mode" -- didn't make any permanent changes -- and exited. Then I restarted FF normally and it cut my load time by almost 50%. Hope you have the same success.

Firefox Safe Mode

Actual numbers.

Until 6 months ago, Firefox took TEN Seconds from launch until I could send it to a web-site.

Then I fixed it to take ZERO seconds out of my life.

Before the fix I launched Windows Task Manager, and then observed the CPU usage whilst Firefox launched and loaded, and found Firefox took almost nothing. Why it should take 10 seconds doing nothing is a mystery, but so is everything in Windows !!!

Simple Fix - which you can do to.

I added a link to Firefox in my start-up folder :-

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Windows takes 30 Seconds from Power On to the Login screen.

After I Login Windows takes about 57 Seconds to prepare my Desktop and do all the things it wants to do before it bothers to look at the keyboard again.

I repeated this measurement 12 times BEFORE I added the link,

and a further 12 times AFTER adding the link.

This 57 Seconds was increased by about 1 Second when Firefox was launched on start-up.

Obviously Firefox still took 10 Seconds, BUT IT IS CONCURRENT with everything else Windows does before it takes any notice of me.

So, if I am sat at the keyboard waiting, I have one extra second to wait because Firefox is part of the start-up.

BUT I DO NOT SIT WAITING -

After Power On I go to the Kitchen

For 30 Seconds I carefully measure a cupful of water into the kettle and switch it on;

I return to the keyboard to log on;

I return to the kitchen and to my cup add coffee granules etc and then boiling water,

and return to the computer and it becomes obedient (if you can say that of Windows) whilst I adjust my chair.

This 58 (was 57) second delay is something I have to live with, and the extra second needed to include Firefox in the automatic start-up actually takes ZERO out of my life, because now the computer is waiting for me. Previously after everything else, when I decided to start browsing I then lost 10 seconds of life waiting - and probably cut my life expectancy by 10 minutes with the frustration and stress !!!

Alan

I don't know if this will work for you Slowday, but started FF in "Firefox Safe Mode" -- didn't make any permanent changes -- and exited. Then I restarted FF normally and it cut my load time by almost 50%. Hope you have the same success.

Firefox Safe Mode

Thanks Tom AZ but it didn't seem to help. I'll just put up with it because I love Ff so much. Maybe the next update will have the opposite effect or an add-on will update.

• 4 weeks later...