Empty Folder Deletion

drames

It would be really nice if CCleaner could delete uneccessary empty folders. Naturally, ones that are needed would be exempt from the scanning process. It makes organizing files alot faster, and probably generally makes things faster for a PC anyways.

Thanks! :)

• Moderators

I wouldn't want CC (or anything) to delete all empty folders just based on the fact that they're empty, so that means some selection process. If you select you may as well just use shift/del without bothering CC. I don't think that empty folders slow a pc at all, apart from some minor effect on file reorganising utilities.

Yeah, well if you're a person who trys out alot of programs, you'll be surprised how many empty folders pop-up, and in different locations, that are hidden. It DOES slow down your computer because it takes time for your computer to process all of the properties of each individual folder.

I was thinking that the empty folders could be scanned, and then you can select the ones that you would never want to see again in the scan.

Plus why should you hang onto junk files?

• Moderators
Naturally, ones that are needed would be exempt from the scanning process.

How would CC know? How would the user know?

Yeah, well if you're a person who trys out alot of programs, you'll be surprised how many empty folders pop-up, and in different locations, that are hidden. It DOES slow down your computer because it takes time for your computer to process all of the properties of each individual folder.

Yes, I guess there are many empty folders hanging about. When does a pc scan all the folders? Only in file maintenance/search utilities I would think.

Plus why should you hang onto junk files?

No reason, they just don't bother me. On my minimal XP system I have over 70,000 files, so a few hundred empty folders are no problem.

In the end it comes down to different user perceptions. One thinks it's important, another doesn't. Rgds.

How would CC know? How would the user know?

Yes, I guess there are many empty folders hanging about. When does a pc scan all the folders? Only in file maintenance/search utilities I would think.

No reason, they just don't bother me. On my minimal XP system I have over 70,000 files, so a few hundred empty folders are no problem.

In the end it comes down to different user perceptions. One thinks it's important, another doesn't. Rgds.

I still need to use Ultra WinCleaner to remove empty folders. Yes, I do this from time-to-time. Ultra WinCleaner is an old program, so enabling the same things that it does in CCleaner should not be that difficult. The only gripe I have with UWC, and that I was hoping would be addressed in CCleaner, is that it should do this separately from the shortcut cleaning (of all profiles) and before it actually deletes the folders you should be given the list to mark whether they should be deleted or not. System folders should automatically be exempt. CCleaner should then remember which folders were marked so it would ignore them on future scans.

Later,

Rod

still need to use Ultra WinCleaner to remove empty folders.
Does it still detect the non-existent old BonziBuddy infection and will not remove it until you purchase it :huh:

Please read:

http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?...b19ba4d338a249d

Ultra WinCleaner is an old program
Its not Vista tested.

I use

Remove Empty Directories - New Version!

a freeware tool to batch delete empty folders

RED searches and deletes empty directories recursively below a given start folder and shows the result in a well arranged tree. Further you can create some custom rules for keeping and deleting folders. Empty files in directories can also be ignored. Just try RED to see the other features - no registry keys or system files will be touched.

http://www.jonasjohn.de/lab/red.htm

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Does it still detect the non-existent old BonziBuddy infection and will not remove it until you purchase it :huh:

Please read:

http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?...b19ba4d338a249d

Its not Vista tested.

I use http://www.jonasjohn.de/lab/red.htm

I have never had a problem with any kind of worm or virus with WinCleaner. As someone mentioned in that thread, Business Logic owns WinCleaner and someone else has a bogus site. Basically, whatever BonsiBuddy is it has nothing to do with WinCleaner.

I use XP, I will never get Vista. I will go with Linux instead. Why should I get another program? UWC works ok, and if CCleaner adds the features that I use UWC that will be one less program.

Later,

Rod